Customer reviews

Galactic Exploration
Format: Paperback|Change

on 23 January 2013
I like sci-fi movies, or on tv, but when it comes to books, no matter how much I want to like it, it somehow comes across as dull & rather heaving goind which always perplexes me because the subject matter is so very imaginative & new. Perhpas it's all the exlplanation of alien things that gets in the way? I don't enjoy the other extreme either - soap operas in space. Eastenders is depressing enough on earth!

Galactic Exploration however, is one of the few adult science fiction novels I've really enjoyed. A great blend of the personal & the known with the impersonal & alien environment of space. The central human story is maintained through centuries of space exploration by the very clever device of maintaining the same characters through their clones. Each has their own life & story while still being influence by their original history. The form of the book - written in three distinct parts - also keeps things fresh, while furthering the story & avoiding all the boring bits inbetween. The writing is very good & having three distinct settings allows the reader to really get into the each scene. I'll be looking out for more of Cawdron's exciting, innovative, unboring, unsoapy sci-fi!
on 12 July 2012
I must say I don't write many reviews for purchases, but I felt impelled to do so for this one.
Riveting read, flowing stories with twists and turns along the way. Good characters, wierd aliens, nice tech, love it.
And all this in a free book!!!
Honestly, I would have very happily have paid, very happy.
To the authour - I very much appreciate your work, thank you.
33 Comments| 2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 February 2013
Galactic Exploration expands a little on the history of the Africa class exploration ships that set of from Earth. The principle ship in this narrative is The Rift Valley. An earlier version than Serengeti it turn out. The tales also cover the preparations and interactions of the crew before they chose to leave Earth as well as their encounter with an alien race deep into the voyage. The readers also discover who Trixie is. That having been left hanging in Trixie and Me. All round I enjoyed the reads and I will keep an eye out for more books by Peter Cawdron.
on 31 October 2013
This is a series of connected short stories and it forms a coherent and imaginative whole. But for me it was completely ruined by the author's tendency to overwrite massively. Particularly when it comes to the thoughts and feelings of the main characters, we have to wade through interminably wordy passages detailing every banal thought and it's related feelings and background and history and relationships ad nauseum! I tried to wade through it because the story lines were interesting and creative but at times it became too irritating and I found myself skipping paragraphs and pages. All this overwriting added nothing to the plot or our understanding of the characters; it was just banal overkill! Please Mr Cowden, re-write this and take out 50% of the unnecessary padding, it ruins what could be something good.
on 10 October 2013
I agree with the other positive reviews, the story and characters are very well written. As I finished the book I had in mind ideas for this review, then I read Peter's afterward and decided there was little point in re-writing his own descriptions of the four sections. One theme I saw which he did not mention was love, not Mills & Boon stuff, but a love of exploration, of the universe and what it means to be human. There is a passion running through this book and it comes through in the care with which the characters are brought to life and how they interact with each other and their environment.

This may not be the most inventive or surprising piece of science fiction I have read, however it was an absolute pleasure to read and I am looking forward to reading more of his work.
on 14 June 2013
This book is a must for all science fiction fans. Well written and exciting. You will read it, want more and then buy everything else he has done.
on 4 November 2016
Cawdron has become a firm favourite of mine. I've yet to be disappointed. This collection of linked stories perhaps starts a little slow & awkward but the bits all gradually fit together & there's a lot of satisfaction to be had in the development. I'm reluctant to add a detailed review as that would mean spoilers. I plan to re-read this collection & make some notes ... Some of which I may add to an updated review.
on 17 May 2015
An interesting series of stories set against a background of successively cloned humans setting off to explore the galaxy at just under light speed. Their three ships undergo very different experiences and it is readable enough until one faces aliens who just want them dead.

Or do they?
on 22 December 2013
The sample was, although rather philosophical and metaphysical at times, quite promising. The following stories were guilty of being "padded out" with superfluous writing and on one occasion plagiarist self repetition. I have read other Cawdron works this is not his finest hour. A pity
on 25 January 2016
This is my second Cawdron book and again I have not been disappointed. Gripping collection of tales on the the subject of galactic exploration, all interlinked in a very engaging way. Credible science combined with a good plot and very interesting characters. What's not to like ?