Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 26 May 2016
Although clearly aimed at the YA audience, I - as a world weary 44 year old - thought this book was great! The time travel is dealt with really well, Proper arc to the story, self contained, yet also setting us up for the rest of the collection. Be aware, I read these out of order, not realising there were two novellas (1.5 and 2.5), didn't really matter though, still enjoyed them even though I knew the ending to the main story.
on 11 March 2015
Time travel and all its attached leaps of logic analyzed in a gripping manner in a story proved by very likeable ( or horrid) characters depending on timeline and circumstances. Loved it.
on 7 March 2017
Brilliant time travel series.
on 21 April 2017
Great read!
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 24 November 2015
I adore time travel stories, always have ever since I first saw The Time Machine (the original, of course) about 50 years ago and was totally mesmerised when the little model version he builds first is set going and disappears from the table top, travelling off in time for ever. I thought deeply about that for weeks afterwards, wondering what would happen to it.

The way that time travel is implemented in this story is actually pretty complex, with the travellers not only frequently encountering other versions of themselves but actively exploiting this paradoxical feature, and yet it is handled really cleverly and you never end up scratching your head trying to grasp what is happening. Having seen that this won a Young Adult Fiction prize I'm not entirely sure that I'm the target audience the author had in mind (as you can tell from the fact I watched The Time Machine nearly 50 years ago) but it really is very good and I thoroughly enjoyed it, and as I write this review I am already well in to the sequel.
on 24 February 2014
Time travel fascinates me and this is an interesting perspective. The timelines are well managed and explained and whilst the story is interesting it just unfolds rather than grabbing hold of your total interest. Would I read part two? Yes I probably would to find out where the writer is taking the story, but perhaps this book's end lacks the normal end of a book that seems destined to lead to a part two. A really strong link to hold onto and desire to find out what happens next.
on 7 June 2017
Read the one star moaners, and laughed.

The synopsis could be better written, written better: and it doesn't really reflect the plot line cohesively.

Now: I didn't read this book, but I listened to it as part of the (Kindle Unlimited subscription:) and its well worth it for £8:00 a month.
So, the above may slant my review, and as a header to my witherings. Kate Rudd reads it, and she did almost all the Muirwood series by Jeff Wheeler.
(Nice clean voice to listen too.)

Pros: a good convoluted time story that makes your brain ache: as they should.
Poof: your gone, and poof! - Your gone even further, but can you get back to the first Poof? - Is Trey the one, or the second one in a long line of boys:
- Young love? (Yuk!) -- And this is all the sour old man's saying on the subject.

Cons: and its not really a con as such, and I know that it's character development, but that damned girl wants a slap.
- If you can stand her silly ways: then you're in for a good story, and by the end of the book: she *is* growing up.,

Not sure about that missing month, and time wise: then the plot line was iffy -- Chronos field or not.

Downloaded Book II -- love serials, and that's what this is: it's a book in a series; as I say -- love one two and three star reviews - NOT!
on 2 February 2014
This is a book clearly written with a sequel in mind. The story dragged on and on through endless trivia leaving the most interesting part to the last few pages. The overarching story was both confused and contrived. In the end it made really very little sense. The characters accepted the whole time travel piece with little or no questioning which was unrealistic and frustrating. I read on to the end in the hopes of some positive outcome but ended up feeling like I had wasted my time.
on 24 April 2017
I devoured the trilogy, including the 3 novellas in 3 days. It's the first series that has really grabbed me since I read Stephen King's Dark Tower series. Yes, the love triangle gets a bit tedious but the twists and turns, the fast pace and the amazing characters more than make up for it. I'm extremely glad for my kindle unlimited subscription as I read one after the other.
on 19 March 2017
enjoyed second book better than first, to be absolutely honest only carried on reading series as on kindle unlimited. but having read the novella between book 1 and 2 had to read book 2.
pace was faster and more interesting in the 2nd book.