Customer reviews

on 10 May 2004
"Mary Sue": a story in which the author (usually a female) puts too much of her own wishes/daydreams and physical attributes (or wannabe attributes) into a tale, allowing herself to become the heroine that "saves" the hero and--of course--wins his love in the end.
And a "Mary Sue" is exactly how to describe this book! It had me rolling my eyes so often I thought they were going to spin right out of my head! Much of the plot was laughable, with Roxanne needing rescuing far too many times, and Alexander's near obsessive attraction to her was simply unbelievable. Without revealing any spoilers, I will say that the author clearly projected herself into her Xena-like heroine, and stretched all plausibility by not only making her a fair-skinned redhead (like herself), but by also giving her far too much importance in Alexander's life, putting her front and centre into very significant events where the real Roxanne probably played no role. (Of course, in all fairness, without this inflated role we would have a rather boring Roxanne-related book.) More often than not her Alexander wasn't a terribly likeable character, and I only found myself reading it to the end just to find out how many times the author would change known historical facts just to suit her plot. This is not a book I would place on an Alexander 'must-read' list, except for *really* die-hard romance fans, as the author did follow the usual schlock romance formula.
And Alexander was a blonde, so what's with the brunette on the cover?? Just one more historical inaccuracy that had me shaking my head!
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse