on 29 January 2013
For some inane reason I thought the premise of this book would have something to do with furniture & when the opening chapter starts with Julie's apartment falling through I thought I was right on the money, nothing could have prepared me for what the "Flat" in "Flat Out Love" represents but I have to say its genius absolutely genius.
This book has serious undertones, a very disturbed young girl a young man carrying the burdens of the world on his shoulders and two parents who no longer know how to parent but the glue that puts it all back together is Julie, she can't ignore what's going on in the household shes ended up in and does her best to fix them, all the while she's falling in love online with the eldest child of the house who's off travelling - but all is not what it seems and as the story unravels, Julie makes brave choices to help everyone whilst dealing with her own demons.
Despite the quite obvious dysfunction going on, this book is not a heavy read, its flaming hilarious, real laugh out loud moments and fabulous witty banter and humour all the way through, coupled with some really tear jerking poignant moments (the first hinges scene was an amazing bit of writing) its 5 stars all the way from me.
One person found this helpful
on 25 February 2012
I've been very lucky recently, finding books that have captivated me and that I have not been able to put down and while "Flat Out Love" also did those things (finished it in less than a day), I must say, there was something special about this one.

I didn't guess the "big secret" until the reveal and personally, I'm glad I didn't - was perfect excuse to go back and read it again now being in the know! That said, I certainly don't think that if you do work it out, that you'll be disappointed as other reviewers have all agreed before me. This book is beautifully written and I highly doubt anything could take away from it.

The story itself is very funny, plus it's heart-warming, heart-breaking, witty and fantastic. The facebook messages and status' are very funny and there are pure laugh out loud moments within the main story. In my opinion, Jessica Park has done quite an incredible thing to have something that made me laugh like an idiot, touch my heart and bring tears to my eyes in 400 pages (paperback says 400).

My only niggle would be that there are a couple of times that she's sort of skipped over BUT that said, and yes, even though I've just said that, I feel the need to defend the book - IF every book contained every little moment of the story then you'd end up with something that makes the bible look like a short story SO whilst I'd have liked to know what Julie did at christmas for example, the fact I don't does not detract from the story. Her ridiculously funny drunken phonecall to Matt well makes up for it on new years eve.

The characters are all great and although it might be a very strange thing to say, especially for those who have read the book, I loved them all and thought they were a beautiful family, during the book, no, of course not - they are very dysfunctional and a group of individuals, not a family, but by the end, you get a real sense that it's working out and you can (or I can anyway) really see the potential there. So much so that yes, of course I was disappointed that I'd reached the end but I was happy with the ending. It is very fitting and if there is ever a sequel then that'd be fantastic, if there isn't, well, ok.

I can't recommend this book highly enough, just fantastic and I'm faily confident that the vast majority of people will not be disappointed.
on 3 May 2014
Downloaded this book as a recommendation. What can I say it was brilliant I loved the story and loved the characters. It starts with a girl named Julie starting college and she arrives in a city with nowhere to live. She ends up staying with her mum's friend from years ago and is welcomed to a dysfunctional family. You read about her rollercoaster of a year helping this family but not knowing the true story behind what's really going on. I was completely gripped and got so drawn into the story I too didn't see what was going on. It wasn't until a certain point in the book I clicked and put the pieces together but still brilliant writing from Jessica Parker. Lots of emotions from reading this book I just wish there was a epilogue.
on 15 July 2015
I downloaded this book as it was free and I'm so glad I did. It wasn't what I expected at all but I thoroughly enjoyed it. I won't ruin it for you by telling you the entire story but I will say it focuses on a girl who heads for college and has a disastrous luck when she finds out the flat she paid in advance never existed. Her mum steps in and gets her to move in with her old college room mate and her family. The story surrounds the family, their personalities, relationships and how by bringing in someone new can change their own perspectives. I really enjoyed it.
on 11 July 2014
It's not a very good story overall. The characters have some depth, but lack any sort of reality. The situations which arise are semi-plausible. The ending is especially predictable. By the time I reached it I was cringingly hopeful that I was wrong. I wasn't. The ending is cliched and just not satisfying. The premise and build-up are not great at creating mystery, even though that seems to be the goal. There are no funny moments. I'm surprised I managed to finish reading this actually considering how cringey I found it. I'm also surprised how many good reviews it has had!!! There are a lot of better books in this genre, read one of them instead.
on 26 September 2012
Finished reading this late last night having read the last 40% in one sitting. I have now read loads of these YA books now, I felt this one had the most intelligence in the writing, the author is either incredibly geeky or did their research.

I enjoyed the story and found myself gripped at the end even though I knew the ending. It is not as emotionally cut as some of the other romance books, but it has a nice feel to it and the other characters in the book, watching them change and grow was nice for the reader.

However, it is a good read and if you want something to fill the gap whilst you are waiting for all these wonderful sequels to come out (come on authors), this will fit in nicely with a cup of tea and a biscuit.

If you enjoyed, Easy by Tammara Webber, Seduction and Snacks by Tara Sivec or Almost by Anne Eliot you might like this.
on 3 April 2014
I brought this book, after someone recommended it to me, and I'm glad I did. I was instantly hooked from the first page, I laughed from the first page, which hardly never happens when reading a book, and I cried quite a few times as well (again this never happens) Each of the characters are unique and I've never read a book with characters like these before. Julie, the main character, well I Just want her to be my best friend. She's fun, caring, and completely awesome. I have recommended Flat out love to a lot of friends and every single one has loved it. If your looking for a book that will stay with you long after you've read it (even after the third time) then I definitely recommend Flat Out Love. I can flat out promise you, you won't regret it!
on 18 October 2014
I really enjoyed this book of young love. I thought Matt Watkins an absolute sweet heart , a real geek but he tries so hard to deal with Celeste and help Julie. The twist is clever and brings the whole story together at the end. Thought flat Finn so funny and Celeste such a complicated girl who is coping with a lot at a young age. Liked all the descriptive bits about Boston as it really set the scene for Julie's college life. This is a good book especially if you manage to not see any spoilers before you read it as it will ruin the whole book for you.
on 2 December 2013
Julie is in Boston to start college but her accommodation has fallen through, luckily her mum's old college friend comes to the rescue and takes her in , until she can find some digs. The parents Erin and Roger are both type A personalities and very intelligent. Their son Matthew is a nerd and studies maths and physics at MIT and their 13 year old daughter , Celeste ,is also clever but carries around a cardboard cut out of her brother Finn who is away travelling the world. So begins the story and it's a good one with a twist at the end.
on 20 April 2014
not sure why I was surprised about how well put together this book is. It deals with some pretty serious issues in a way which is never heavy and ' in your face' but can be read at several different levels. On the surface, it is a pretty straightforward coming of age love story but just underneath deals with rejection, survivor guilt and other big issues.
it is a bit rough around the edges but well worth a read for most including those like me some. years older than the main protagonists