Format: Hardcover|Change

on 14 June 2014
Unfiltered doesn't even begin to describe Bobbie's mouth. She's blunt and doesn't hold back much and is hilarious. The memoir flowed nicely and I really didn't want to put it down. It was a quick read, 264 pages, but it's not for everyone because of her coarse language.

Bobbie came from an abusive home (her father Bobby, for whom she's named after, was a wife beater, as was his father) in Louisiana but wasn't abused herself. She went on to be in countless dysfunctional, sometimes abusive relationships (Tommy Lee, who grabbed her by the throat in front of people). She's been on drugs most of her adult life and I don't think she's ever been to rehab. She never mentioned wanting to go. She never mentioned how she felt seeing the abuse then or how she feels about it now and if she thinks it may have to contributed to her drug use.

She detailed some of her sexual exploits with many men. The most memorable one was with Leonardo DiCaprio in 1996. He had her perform oral sex on him while wearing a condom. It tasted bad so she took it off. She said his penis was huge, 'on steroids', bigger than Tommy Lee's, and she could hardly fit it in her mouth. She said Tommy's was 'as big as a baby's arm'. Tommy's very immature, a big kid, needy, extremely jealous, and a big whoremonger.

She barely mentioned having a nose job at around age 19/20 'to remove the bump' and getting breast implants and having them redone. Never once mentioned that they leaked and she got really sick and has lupus now because of it (according to her). A few years ago I watched a documentary that she narrated on VH1 called Do It For the Band: The Women of the Sunset Strip and she mentioned the leakage. She failed to mention being diagnosed with trichotillomania yet mentions it in interviews. I found out about it online when I should have just read about it in her own book. That developed during 2005 during what she says is the worst relationship she's ever been in but I don't recall reading about it and I don't know who's she's talking about. How on earth can you write your memoir and leave out the most important things of all?! You can't have surgeries and barely mention them. I want details. I want to know why you had the surgeries, what it was like recovering from them and all that. What lead to wanting them? Any regrets?

The most interesting story was when her ex-husband Jani (Warrant), a crying, drunken mess at the time, confided in her about something awful that happened to him years before he was famous. Page 250:

"He was nineteen when it happened. It was after a show. And older man, a major rock star, had invited Jani to hang out with him and the big guys. Jani was young, and easily impressed. Later that night, along with an accomplice, that major rock star put Jani through an ordeal he had been to ashamed to talk about until this moment. It was violent. It was ugly. It was exploitative. Jani said he had been too scared to tell anybody and had been pushing the memory under the carpet, pretending it wasn't there. Jani was a proud man and hated to think of himself as a victim. Now, finally, I understood why he had been acting like one for so many years."

Bobbie did a lot of acting/modeling when she was in her early twenties, and some things since, so this book should have had a filmography.

Some of her music video's aren't mentioned online so I'll list them all:

I'm On To You by Hurricane- 1988 (pre-implants and nose job)
Cecilia by Times Two- 1989
Once Bitten, Twice Shy by Great White- 1989
House of Broken Love by Great White- 1989
It Feels So Good To Love Someone Like You by Terence Trent D'Arby- 1989
Sittin' in the Lap of Luxury by Louie Louie- 1990
Cherry Pie by Warrant- 1990

She misspoke and said model Paulina Porizkova was Czech-American when she's actually Czech-Swedish.

I loved the book, thought it was highly entertaining and I do recommend it.

I received this from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
on 10 December 2013
I wasn't sure if i was going to like this book, but just reading the sample chapter i was hooked, amused, and guffawing with laughter. Bobbie delivers the laughs (whipping Kevin Costner in the face with her scarf, omg hilarious)

but she also delivers honest writing, a touching story, with wry humour. I've never even seen her TV show, but she sounds like a riot. I'm definitely a fan now.

That said, it's also a very sad tale, especially as --in her own words-- she had many life lessons to learn. I was so sad to read about her losing loved ones, and the troubles that plagued her husband. Truly sad, touching. I did cry :( It shows how strong she is to have come through all that. Kudos to Bobbie, and i would def recommend the book to read.
on 9 February 2016
Outstanding. Bobbie Brown is not only a survivor of many scenes in LA, but she is a strong example of what a real woman is. In this book, she opens up about her addictions, her wild side and is refreshingly honest and owns all her [...]; And whilst she trips and tumbles along the way, you soon realise that this is a girl who will put aside her pride and do what needs to be done to drag herself back off the floor and try and start climbing back up to the top. Bobbie writes her story with insight, passion and on many occasions, sassy and hysterical, brutal honesty. I cannot recommend this book enough. Whilst I think there could probably have been about twenty more chapters with things she chose to level out, I do think that Bobbie positively honours her daughter, Taylor and late husband Jani Lane, with the dignity and love she clearly has for those held dear to her. God bless Bobbie Brown, I just wish more women were like her!
on 23 December 2013
Bobbie comes across as an intelligent genuinely nice person. A deer stuck in the headlights at times but the stories she tells are thought provoking and interesting. The book is more than gossip from a bygone era it's an insight into a girls journey of survival in the serial world of Hollywood show business.
on 28 January 2014
I am a big fan of these kiss and tell book of the 80's rock scene on Sunset Strip. I do find it entertaining to read a bit of the dirt the rockers did get up to and this book does do just that. Like some reviewers I really did not read this book to find out more about the life of Bobbie Brown but the men in her life. The book is quick to read - took me less than a day. The photo section was not as generous as in some similar books. Still highly recommended easy reading.
on 9 February 2014
I first heard about Bobbie Brown's book from her Ex Wives of Rock show, and I'm very glad I picked it up. I'm a fan of biography, and Bobbie's book has all the great ingredients - scandal, heartbreak and hilarious anecdotes. The Kevin Costner story is worth the price alone, it had me in stitches. She's not afraid to call herself out on stupid decisions (of which there are many detailed in the book, bless her) and she acknowledges that the impact of her partying ways on her daughter and mother has been extreme.

Very readable, very fun, but an incredibly important message wrapped up in it. Be careful what you wish for, because you just might get it. And the secondary message, which is don't get involved with Tommy Lee.
on 20 April 2014
This book is a brilliant read. Bobbie Brown comes across as a really honest, sweet person who isn't afraid to share her ups and downs. Really enjoyed this book and it's really funny too
on 2 March 2016
Loved reading this book as a fan of 80's rock music.I felt she was very honest about her own struggles & she showed how gritty life was living this lifestyle
on 2 July 2014
Not the best writing that I have ever heared but Bobbie has some fun stories and has certainly led an interesting life, a nice easy read with a bit of dirt !
on 5 April 2016
Interesting book and story. Bought it to get some insight into Warrant and Crue stories. Well written and sometimes fun.