on 22 October 2013
Shirley's book is easy to read, starts quite well with her childhood memories and progresses to her breakthrough with Rodgers and Hammerstein. Unfortunately it's all downhill from there with far too much emphasis on her sexual interests and little about her artistic achievements. Famous co-stars names are scattered throughout the book but with the feeling that they were dropped in by her ghost writer Wendy Leigh to attract a younger audience. I'm not sure who she attempted to attract with this 'memoir' but it went quite badly wrong for me. For example, Brando, Sinatra, Dean Martin, Burt Lancaster, Richard Widmark and other names crop up but with little to tell us about their artistic skills or interaction with her apart from the odd bit of groping by Widmark. Hardly any mention of the singer/actor who she is most associated with, Gordon MacRae, other than to say he was a wonderful co-star and a tiny photo caption saying he had the most glorious voice ever. I agree, I think he did as well so why not tell her readers why she thought so? She tells much more on the narration over the Oklahoma! soundtrack on the 50th anniversary DVD which is much more interesting. Nothing at all deep here I'm afraid, very disappointing.
on 18 May 2017
Film star reveals a lot. I remember seeing Shirley Jones in Carousel in 1956. She comes over as a balanced and pleasant person with a tendency to fall for crazy husbands. One has to admire her for coming through it intact. Her lack of ego is endearing and as they say, 'It's important to be nice'.
on 31 December 2016
The first few pages were enough. I have no interest in Shirley's private encounters and if she had any sense she would keep them private. I always like to hear good showbiz stories but I was disappointed -and shocked. I expected an entertaining account of Mrs. Partridge -I was wrong ! I am no prude but this is not for me thanks.
on 5 November 2013
I have been a fan of Shirley Jones ever since I saw her in Oklahoma when I was 14 years old and fell in love for the first time, (but don't tell my wife).
Shirley tells her story briefly through her early days and very little about her first films Oklahoma and Carousel and from then onwards it was mainly about Jack Cassidy, her first husband. She says many times in the book that she was madly in love with him and still is.
There is a lot of sex that was not needed, she was a married woman and doing what most married women do so why did she write about it, keep it in the bedroom Shirley

J.E.D.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 7 September 2013
Shirley Jones' memoir is thoroughly enjoyable. Although she tries to shock the reader by sharing way too much personal information, she still comes across as a lovely and charming lady.

The book is well-written and a fast read. It begins with her rather idyllic childhood, her single audition that lead to stardom, her many roles and famous co-stars, and her two marriages. She's smart and capable, yet not immune from making poor choices.

Although she dwells on intimacies a lot, I didn't find it off-putting. I think her fans will like the book.
on 7 October 2013
I was so looking forward to this but I genuinely found it awful - rather than giving us interesting stories, she went out to shock with threesomes and sex parties and I ended up finding her thoroughly dislikeable rather than the great star she was. I wouldn't bother.
on 25 October 2013
Yes, I enjoyed this book very much. However, I think she shared too much information on the anatomy of her first husband and her step son which was embarrassing. I liked her straight forward approach to people, she always believed in the goodness of people even though sometimes people such as Henry Fonda didn't deserve her optimism that people were basically good.
on 15 November 2015
I KNEW A GREAT DEAL ABOUT SHIRLEY'S LIFE, BECAUSE SHE IS 10 YEARS OLDER THAN ME, AND DURING MY TEENAGE YEARS ROGERS AND HAMMERSTEIN MUSICALS WERE BECOMING FILMS WITH RECORDS OF THE SOUNDTRACKS AVAILABLE. I HAVE OFTEN SUNG THEIR SONGS, INCLUDING SOLOS, WHILST IN A GIRLS' CHOIR AND AS A MEMBER OF AMATEUR SOCIETIES - SO I FOUND THIS BOOK EXTREMELY INTERESTING ABOUT NOT ONLY SHIRLEY, BUT HER HUSBAND JACK CASSIDY, HER STEPSON DAVID CASSIDY, THEIR THREE SONS, AND OTHER HOLLYWOOD PEOPLE THEY WORKED WITH. SHE HAS CONTRIBUTED A GREAT DEAL TO SHOW BUSINESS AS AN ACTRESS WITH A REALLY LOVELY VOICE, AND SHE IS A LOVELY PERSON WHO HAS HAD THE STRENGTH TO HELP AND DEAL WITH MANY THINGS IN HER LIFE. THE BOOK WAS WRITTEN BEFORE HER SECOND HUSBAND MARTY PASSED OVER VERY RECENTLY, AND ALSO THE ACTRESS WHO PLAYED HER VERY YOUNG DAUGHTER IN 'THE PARTRIDGE FAMILY' ON T.V. IT IS A VERY EASY READ AND A BOOK RECOMMENDED FOR THE COMING HOLIDAY SEASON.
on 19 May 2014
With the amount of sex and sex related instances in this book I got the feeling that Shirley was trying hard to cast off her ingenue image and let us see her as a flesh and blood person; perhaps she tried too hard.
As someone who remembers her best for her Carousel and Oklahoma! personnas I can understand she wants us to know she is a real person and her youthful marriage to Jack Cassidy would certainly have been an education in sophisticated living but there is a fine line between honesty and dubious taste and in parts of this book I think she crossed it.
I did enjoy the book, marvelled at her patience and loyalty and her show business stories. She was and is a pretty lady and has had an interesting life and, Shirley, I would still have been a fan without knowing about your sex life in such detail.
on 10 August 2013
very candid and surprising. Easy to read and reminds one of a wonderful era in movie musicals and of grand characters