on 19 June 2017
This is more like it. So I only recently caught up with the Star Trek Enterprise series, having avoided it or being otherwise disposed when it was actually broadcast. When I watched it I thought that the first two series were...meh...very similar to early TNG and differing in quality. Things changed with season three and I thought that season four, the last season before cancellation, was as good as anything Star Trek ever did. Thus moving forward with the characters was a good way to deal with unfinished business and indeed the characters outlined here are clearly the same people as the tv show, but detailed as they have matured and moved on.
It is interesting to see how their relationships developed following the Romulan war and how the ties that bound them through Enterprise and after continue to do so.
on 27 August 2013
Let me start by stating that I am one of that strange minority that enjoyed “Enterprise” on TV and was genuinely sad when it was cut off in its prime. The subsequent novels have been of mixed quality, but have at least served to tidy up the unholy mess left by the last of the TV episodes and then move the storyline on, up to and including the events of the Romulan War. This particular duology started promisingly but then got it all wrong (see my review of “To Brave the Storm”) and left me feeling disappointed for the second time, as it seemed to me that the storyline was being wound up (again) and that, as they say, was going to be that.
However I am pleased to report that a change of author and a slight jump forward in the timeline has injected fresh life into the story arc, so much so that it almost feels like a re-launch. New (and old) characters have been introduced and there are several references back to events from the TV series which help to tie things together. All the main characters have moved on, been promoted or otherwise taken on a new role, only Enterprise itself is missing from the main action (having been honourably retired from active service after the war), though a couple of key scenes do happen on board, so it’s not gone completely! The crew have new postings, having been split (roughly) in half and are now aboard new ships, so this means that we get two concurrent storylines, although only one of these really deals with the circumstances requiring a decision to be made regarding the future nature of the Federation. The other storyline is a more traditional “ship in crisis” scenario involving wormholes, gas giants and… no, I won’t spoil it for you. It does however introduce a couple of names that resonate into the future, which is a nice touch.
This is quite a well-rounded story in my view, comprising old adversaries, mysterious aliens who seem to be the greatest threat to the Federation since the Xindi, enough tech-speak for those that like that sort of thing (me, in moderation), a smidgin of back room politicking and a fair smattering of space battles just to top it off. Thank heavens for Christopher L. Bennett taking over the writing duties - he seems to have the confidence to expand the Enterprise universe and has definitely left me wanting more. Whether he continues, or other authors chip in, at least we now have a good starting point. I await with interest….
2 people found this helpful
on 4 July 2013
Helps the reader to realise that the Federation wasn't formed overnight. Goes into great detail about the turmoils of a military or exploration led Federation.

Interesting read, and can't wait for the next installment.
One person found this helpful
on 3 August 2013
I liked how closely the characters were to the tv series. The author did a great job with it. I also liked the time period the book was set in because it is new and interesting. I would recommend Star Trek fans who enjoyed Star Trek enterprise to read this book. I gave the rated the book 4/5 because of how well written and how close tHe characters are to the tv series.
on 30 October 2013
I have always been a Star Trek fan, and I especially like everything to do with the Enterprise series. The books go beyond the TV series and I like the idea of detailing the new Federation and its early struggles to encompass the space faring races into one body. Bring on more of the same please.
on 18 August 2013
I enjoyed going back and researching the various characters who appear in this novel. The way they woven together with the plot makes for the beginning of an interesting new chapter in the Enterprise series. I look forward to further instalments.
on 1 September 2013
A crowd pleaser for Trekies. This helps fill in gaps of information about the origins of the Federation. Possible ideas for another Star Trek Enterprise series???
on 4 October 2016
brill
on 4 February 2015
Great read and part of a great series
on 5 May 2015