Learn more Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Fitbit

on 7 September 2016
I have Aspergers, and I find it difficult to understand people's emotions in real life - so writing a novel has been rather tricky for me. This book, however, is god send! It is what I have needed for SO long. It has helped battle my continuous writer's block which has weighed me down for months on end. I ended up buying two of the other books in the series too (which I also recommend!), and I plan to get the remaining ones. Fantastic book(s), a must-have for aspiring writers like me.
on 26 June 2016
Without exception the best non fiction book for writers I have ever come across. This book has excelled both my writing depth and quality. I have learnt countless lessons on writing emotions and also how to replicate those lessons across other aspects of my writing. Whether you're a new writer or an old one, you will find benefits from this book. I particularly like how it gives both internal cues to the emotions as well as external body language cues.
on 15 April 2017
As a writer I find that I can envision a story and place it all together, but the mind's eye can only see so much. This book in particular is very good for filling in extra details, like I might write 'Dave frowns "I didn't know you cared" whereas if I look up anger, it'll help describe the scene better 'Dave's nostrils flair and his eyes widen, he snarls "I didn't know you cared".
There are a collection of other books in this series and I highly recommend them all.

Ben Hurren ('The Final Year' and 'Blood & Power')
on 27 January 2017
I have flicked through this book and within seconds saw it won't be much use. At least not to me.
I don't know what I was expecting and I think maybe I had perhaps unfair expectations. I don't struggle finding the words to describe emotion in writing and I guess I thought I would find loads in here that I hadn't used or thought of, but to say that this book just literally lists the obvious ones (at least to me) is an understatement.
I suppose at the end of the day there are only so many ways you can describe each emotion, but this book just seems embarrassingly blatantly obvious. There are also main emotions not listed as a title such as shock which is a bit odd.

In all fairness the content of this book would be useful if you really do struggle describing the physical side of emotion otherwise it is totally pointless.
If I could get my money back for this I would.
on 7 March 2017
I'm going to give this three stars. The content is acceptable - it surely can't be meant to fix every problem for every writer, can it? But it gets me thinking; it helps me when my when writing is 'stuck'. One scene has had me back to the keyboard for nearly two weeks, and now I can move past it. No doubt, I'll use The Emotion Thesaurus again in the revision process.

I too bought the kindle version, and the formatting is poor. For example, the chapter title 'WRITING NONVERBAL EMOTION:AVOIDING COMMON PROBLEMS' and subtitle 'TELLING' in screaming caps takes up two thirds of the page, and lends the work an amateur feel. Perhaps the authors could fix this if they update the content?
on 26 April 2017
I have been buying and reading a lot lately in my quest to hone my craft. There is nothing I hate more in this world than buying a book after reading the blurb only to find that the inside content lacks thought. That the characters are wooden and that I can't connect with them. I didn't want my writing to be like that and in buying this book I have found it a fantastic resource.
Well laid out, easy to use. Fantastic for writers in all genres.
on 21 July 2017
Full of outstanding inspirational tips and hints. A clear concise easy to follow book chocked to the rafters with body language, emotions and dialogue. This is the second of Angela and Becca's books to sit next to my work alongside the concise oxford dictionary and It is as important. The physical signals section has been used with super results. A fabulous resource for any writer.
VINE VOICEon 13 March 2017
This won't do the writing for you but is an invaluable tool in the multitude of influences in the writing process.
It takes the form of a dictionary which lists many emotions and then spends a couple of pages on each, giving examples of physical symptoms, sensations, cues, responses and much more.
I don't write as much as I would like to and I think that this will help.
on 31 December 2013
This is not your 'standard' Thesaurus, in that there are not lists of alternative words for describing something; however, there are lots of ideas and cues that a writer would find useful. In fact I did use a suggestion in the Emotion Thesaurus to enliven a scene that had got a bit stale and on reading it back, found that it had lifted it to another level. The basis of the book is really down to common-sense and using your own interpretation of feelings to describe actions. A good buy for any aspiring writer though as it will give many ideas and alternatives across the emotional range.
on 3 November 2015
James Scott Bell (I'm his number one fan) says that it's possible to learn the craft of writing so I'm persevering. We always hear 'show don't tell', but I was finding it difficult to do that. I bought this book and used it to write my latest chapter of a story for young adults. It made a huge difference and I'm excited about the work I produced after using it.