Format: Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon 15 November 2012
Have you ever wondered how to describe embarrassment, fear, revulsion? What's the right expression for shame? Well, this book will come to your rescue with a section for the most common human emotions and their corresponding physical and inner expressions and reactions. This is useful not only when you are not sure of what the right emotion would be for a certain feeling, but also when you need help describing it and want to go beyond the usual 'he frowned'. This guide is a definite 'must' for all novice writers and I predict that you will be referring to it over and over again.
on 13 August 2012
This would have had 5 stars if it was longer but it was still a really useful companion. Sometimes for a writer you can struggle to find just the right feelings for your characters and this book Is so helpful. This will be used again and again. I would most definitely recommend this book to writers.
on 12 January 2015
"One of the biggest problem areas for writers is conveying a character's emotions to the reader in a unique, compelling way. This book comes to the rescue by highlighting 75 emotions and listing the ] and visceral responses for each."

It lives up to the bracketed part at least. As other reviews have said, this is what it says: a thesaurus. Not an interesting one, or one that I found to be particularly helpful. The suggestions aren't unique or compelling, most are standard and common sense, and I saw nothing that was visceral. I was hoping for more practical examples, teaching by demonstration, rather than just pages with plain, rather repetitive lists, of what a person might do when experiencing a given emotion.

If you're really, really, struggling to show your character's emotions rather than telling them then this might be of use. But most of the information on these pages has no particular depth to it, and as such they are things you can readily guess at or invent yourselves. I would not recommend it, and I'm only giving it two stars because I think I've come into it with the wrong expectations.

The dozens of five star reviews leave me close to dumbfounded.
on 3 November 2015
This book is nothing short of amazing. It is an essential tool for writers worldwide and I intend to make good use of it. It begins with a detailed introduction, offering excellent advice and covering many aspects. Then the thesaurus goes through each emotional keyword, covering among others, feelings, responses, appearance, actions etc There are also some great tips throughout. A book where the author is willing to share their knowledge with you, it offers you more than a course on the subject. In one word, brilliant.
on 5 April 2013
I am studying with the OU and doing Creative Writing and wish I had discovered this at the start. Although I regard myself as not bad at finding ways to describe people and their emotions this book really does expound on this and give all sorts you may not initially think of. What I like too is the way it will give alternative linked emotions that the reader may want to think about using as alternatives. It is more of a reference book rather than a 'read through' which is great, as I am sure we all have too many 'useful' books that we have started but never finished. You won't regret buying this book for the price I am sure.
on 11 May 2016
This is probably the singularly most helpful writing craft book I have stumbled across so far. Ever been stuck on the whole showing-not-telling thing? This handy guide is all you need. It does what it says on the tin, really - a thesaurus of emotions, then a list under each of how these emotions can be shown, how they affect someone internally, what outward signs you might see. I'm keeping it right next to my laptop as I edit through my WIP. Thanks for this book!
on 14 December 2012
I chose this book because I realized that my characters had a tendency towards repetitive gestures - staring at their own hands, looking outside the window - so I thought text mght be useful. It is, indeed! Now I keep it on the table while I'm writing, and expecially during the revision. Maybe my characters are finding different ways to express their feelings!
on 22 August 2012
This book must be the single most useful writer's reference book I've ever bought, based on the frequency with which I use it.
Perhaps it makes me a little lazy, finding the answers to how to depict emotional responses both internally and externally, without having to wrack my brain to come up with my own ideas. But that's ok; it offers me plenty of choice and saves so much time, I can live with that!
I have recommended it to every member of my professional writers group, and I do the same to you: if you want to master that old chestnut: show, don't tell, this is the book for you.
on 3 November 2015
James Scott Bell (I'm his number one fan) says that it's possible to learn the craft of writing so I'm persevering. We always hear 'show don't tell', but I was finding it difficult to do that. I bought this book and used it to write my latest chapter of a story for young adults. It made a huge difference and I'm excited about the work I produced after using it.
on 16 December 2013
It is good to have an array of books such as these to bolster a writer's work. I found it easy to read and did go some way to extending some adjectival and superlative phrases. If you are looking for some variety and inspiration then this comes in handy.