on 24 August 2012
Disappointing becasue it is described as Chambers Paperback Dictionary so I thougfht this was soft-back version of the standard edition. It was in essence a convenient pocket style size. An excellent dictionary but a bit misleading in the description. WD.
on 13 September 2017
Seems to be a very comprehensive dictionary. Bought it to stop all the arguing whilst playing Scrabble!! If it ain't in it - you can't have it - which of course you can't say if you have some piddling concise dictionary - and don't bother with the OFFICIAL Scrabble dictionary - that has words in it that only 1% of the world use, I think they are mostly made up just to wind me up. That went straight out of the window!!!!

This does it all. Peace reigns in Scrabble heaven........
on 15 July 2017
Not as much info in the back as my old chambers dictionary which was disappointing.
on 23 October 2016
this was a small paperback edition. I was looking to replace a much larger paperback edition. Unfortunately there was no size detail on the website from which I purchased it. I was not aware that this small version existed.
review image
on 4 August 2017
My current copy of Chambers is 11 years old and lacking many recent words, so I decided to replace it. Much of what is familiar and loved has remained in the new edition, so overall I am very pleased. However, the paper in the new edition is noticeably thinner (about 20%), which means that the text is less easy to read because the following pages are visible. I would happily have paid more for better quality paper, greater legibility and increased robustness.
on 28 October 2013
I was reluctant to buy another dictionary, as I have a few already. However, this was recommended for a course I am on, and as it wasn't expensive, and my other dictionaries are older now, I bought this one. It's really quite handy, with good information at the beginning on how to use the dictionary, which is actually a good thing to read. Also, there is a section in the middle of the dictionary, A guide to effective writing, which is very good and packed with good advice. Definitely a good dictionary to buy, especially for the price.
on 23 September 2017
We have a very old chambers dictionary so when I looked for a new one I tried to find out if it had the same info as the old one like chemical elements table;planets;greek alphabet.No review told me this information so I can now inform you that with the exception of capital cities it has as well as a hell of a lot more words and other interesting information.
on 22 June 2017
Great price, prompt delivery, what more can I add?
on 11 April 2017
Authoritative & up to date
on 27 April 2017
Being an avid Times Crossword solver ( not always able to finish it though!), I find it an excellent reference book generally. I was amazed, though, a couple of weeks or so ago, to find two solutions which were not in the dictionary. Unfortunately I cannot remember them! Otherwise an excellent book, good value.