on 11 August 2016
I really liked the Rincewind and Twoflower , not to forget the luggage, was really disappointed when this book came to an end, we also get to meet Bethan a new character who is saved from being sacrificed by Rincewind and Cohan The Barbarian. This book takes you on a magical journeys full of thrills and adventures, it keeps you on the edge of your seat and it is a book you do not want to put down.

I love this light hearted fantasy novel, I am reading this series in Publication order, as I have noticed many people saying that they did not start with Publication Order and now are going back to the beginning, another benefit of starting at the beginning is that you will meet the characters again, in later years.
on 25 August 2017
After listening to Sir Terry Pratchett through YouTube and the BBC, I have decided to correct a wrong and begin reading all the Discworld novels. This is the first one. I was not disappointed. This is a novel of some fantastic invention. The ideas within are fantastic and Sir Terry creates some wonderful images in the imagination. He describes the Discworld, and it is an amazing thing to behold.

The adventures are great, but could appear a bit disjointed. This was not a problem for me. There are some stunning things here to keep your imagination sharpened. I think the imagination is very important. Highly recommended. I will certainly be reading more about the Discworld.
on 15 June 2015
First in the series and written well before Pratchett had sorted out the formula and conventions that would make all the books numbers 4 (MORT) and onwards so successful. Lots going on in this one, and there's a huge debt owed to Douglas Adams, pioneer of the sci-fi/fantasy parody, you pick up on his influence throughout the book. Really can't fault it for being written BEFORE the series took off, that's just bad luck, but you'll have to wade through quite a few further volumes before finding out why Terry Pratchett will be immortalised as a comic genius. A lot of the humour here falls flat and comes across as vulgar, even Death hasn't got the hang of his speech nuances yet, and as someone who has read a great deal in many genres of fiction, I can advise that the literature content is just about neglibible. Pratchett gets away with it by putting you on a roller coaster ride without time to stop and ponder if individual slapstick gags work or not. The kindle-for-ipad version also sucks big time because the speech parnetheses are just simple vertical strikes, as if this has been scanned from an original manuscript without conversion from submission conventions to published ones. Makes it jar a bit on the eyes.
on 10 May 2015
Here is where it all started. With a magical fantasy world carried aback the great turtle Atuin, swimming through space, the Discworld of the prolific and now sadly departed comic genius writer Terryy Pratchett.

We are introduced to the discworld's first tourist, the scyth wielding DEATH, the cowardly failed wizard Rincewind, and perhaps one of the greatest fantasy characters ever created - the luggage - a treasure chest on hundreds of tiny feet that follows its owner with faithful an dogged determination and sometimes homicidal persistence. On the whole this is a great and entertaining story with all the typical elements of Partchett humour and invention - we are introduced to the bifurcated city of Ankh-Morpork and it's denizens. The Patrician, various guild masters and the Unseen University. However I also felt that there were some slow bits - particularly the incidents around the Wyrmburg which perhaps could have been excised.

I have read almost all of the Discworld novels and rate Eric, Mort and the witches sagas amongst my favourites.

So in summary, early Pratchett. Perhaps not the greatest but nevertheless very funny, and miles better than the competition.
VINE VOICEon 6 May 2013
I have taken an age to get around to reading The Colour of Magic. I first bought it well over a decade ago and I couldn't find myself getting over the first few pages. On a recent holiday, I thought I'd make a concerted effort and finally, *finally* read it.

It was brilliant. A page-turner from the beginning. Pratchett is a master of language, analogy and subtle sarcastic humour. References to other works of fantasy, pop fiction, science, sci-fi and philosophy/religion are prevalent throughout the work.

You just have to put aside all expectations and let your imagination be set free and carried along with the adventure, following failed-wizard Rincewind and bumbling tourist Twoflower across a disc on top of four elephants atop a Turtle. It's a magical, fantastic ride.

Some of my favourite turns of phrase:

'Being Ymor's right-hand man was like being gently flogged to death with scented bootlaces.'

'[the] sour beer was not so much purchased as merely hired for a while.'

'Twoflower was a tourist, the first ever seen on the discworld. Tourist, Rincewind had decided, meant 'idiot'.'

'Rincewind tried to force the memory out of his mind, but it was rather enjoying itself there, terrorizing the other occupants and kicking over the furniture.'

'[The colour of magic] was the undisputed pigment of the imagination.'

Brilliant.
on 6 August 2015
A direct sequel to 'The Colour of Magic', 'The Light Fantastic' follows Rincewind, the Discworld's most inept wizard, and the good-natured tourist Twoflower as they delve into further adventures. This time they find themselves trying to save the Discworld itself, albeit somewhat reluctantly on Rincewand's part.

As with almost all of the Discworld novels, a fantastic read. It's definitely recommended that you read this, and 'The Colour of Magic' first if you're reading the Discworld novels for the first time. The first two books are actually quite different from ones further down the line, but it's interesting to see where they started out, and how much they, and the Discoworld itself, evolved over time.
on 1 April 2015
I left it a bit late to get into Terry Pratchett, but I'm glad I started before he died. As a fan of SciFi, I often picked up a Discworld novel in a bookshop and put it down again, thinking it was more Lord of the Rings than Rings of Saturn. Although I wasn't entirely wrong in that analogy, I'm glad I eventually did buy the first in the series, as it has truly got me hooked and I will continue with the others until I get bored, or exhumed by a giant red comet, whichever comes first.

Discworld exists in a parallel universe to ours, but although entirely different, there are striking resemblances to the world we live in. This is where Terry injected a lot of humour that resonated with me in a way that no book has since Hitch-hiker's Guide to the Galaxy (and before that Winnie the Pooh).

I would have given it five, but I don't want to set the bar too high too soon.
on 2 April 2016
There is not much for me to say that has not already been said about The Colour of Magic and Terry Pratchett's books. This was the first book of his that I read many years ago, followed by The Light Fantastic, but, after that, I read them in random order, as I would find them.
When I heard of Terry Pratchett's death, I decided that the time has come to re-read the Discworld series and this time, in the correct order.
The Colour of Magic is the very first of the series, the only one (as far as I am aware, I still have a few of the most recent ones that I have not read) that is not a standalone but a two parts story, along with The Light Fantastic, introducing us to the Discwold Universe and to many of the characters that we will be seeing in the following books. Rincewind is the very first protagonist and will star in a number of Discworld
books.
The style and expression are different from the following books but the humour (laughing out loud when reading in the bus to work!) and the philosophy (sometimes, it feels as if I can find the answers to all of life's big questions in here!) are present.
It is very upsetting to think that there are no more Discworld novels, so I plan to take my time and enjoy re-reading them!
Even though i have enjoyed other titles more, for me this book rates 5 stars because it is the one that got me hooked to this wonderfully crazy, magical, flat, literally flat, so different and yet, surprisingly similar to our own, universe!
on 29 November 2012
What an insane book.
For the first 40 pages I had no idea who was who or what was what. And by the end, Im still not entirely sure.
One minute we're in a city, then inside a tree... a temple. Now we're flying on Dragons! No sorry, we're on an Airplane.
Conversations with DEATH? "Your not DEATH. Piss Off"
*Ka-Boom!*

"... And Now For Something, COMPLETELY DIFFERENT"
~ John Cleese

This book really is a hoot. There is a major lack of solid story, which is why I compare it to Monty Python.
Throughout the entire book, I saw in my mind RINCEWIND, the Wizard as John Cleese.
Its not about reaching a goal, "We start an adventure ... Action ... we reach the end. THE END"
Its more about the adventure and the laughs and the total, mind boggling crazy crap that goes on throughout every single page of this absolutely bonkers novel.

Do I recommend this book?
Im not sure, it depends on what kind of person you are.
Though if you are a fan of that British charm that comes with TV Classics like, Fawlty Towers, Monty Python, Dads Army, Red Dwarf, Black Adder and such, then this is definitely a book worth a read.
on 2 April 2016
Can I just say how much I love Luggage? And how amazing a writer to manage to give such character and life into a wooden box?
And of course, the Librarian and his ooks! And again, what an amazing writer to be able to convey so many different meanings to "ook"?
And the Spells, the eight basic Spells, that have a mind and a purpose of their own!
And finally, we cannot leave out Cohen the Barbarian and the rest of the barbarian hordes that appear in this book! Or the Four Riders of the Apocalypse!
As with The Colour of Magic, and in fact with all of Sir Terry's books, there is not much you can say that has not already been said. The Light Fantastic is the second book on the Discworld series and the sequel to The Colour of Magic. We meet up with Rincewind and Twoflower after they fell from the end of the world (remember: Discworld is literally a disc!) and follow the journey, through many adventures, back home.
There is a lot going on in this book but I prefer it to the first, I think the story comes together beautifully here, there is excitement, laughter, Terry Pratchett's special kind of humour and intelligence. The style is closer to the first book, the two firsts are different to the rest.
After this, Terry Pratchett finds what to me is his distinct style.
On to the next!