on 21 November 2014
I love these books. I bought it by mistake thinking it was historical fiction ( which when you start to read it, it is). When I read the synopsis properly at home I have to admit I laughed and put it on the shelf.
However when I did evetually open it, I was completly gripped and read them all one after another. Then you try and persuade others to read it. Once people get over the intial concept they all agree ( including my 17 year son) that its a fantastic mix of fantasy, being a Londoner, the workings of the Met Police and a world beyond our own.
What makes this combination work, is the writng, its just brilliant.
on 9 January 2014
I have read the first 4,avidly,barely able to put them down,you can't know how excited I am to have just pre-ordered book 5 due out in july!!!It's hard to explain Peter Grant,kind of a grown up Harry Potter who has joined the metropolitan police....kind of!Do yourselves a favour and have a read of them,some humour in there too.
on 15 February 2014
Brilliant books like Harry Potter for grown ups make sure you read them in order! Can't wait for the next one.
on 24 February 2014
Unputdownable, gripping novels with plenty of action, realistic characterisation and moral dilemmas, all set against a London background which is recognisable - and then again, pure fantasy. Escapism of the highest order.
on 25 September 2014
Bought the first 4 in the series and nearly finished the 2nd. Good stories well written, and shaping up very nicely . Can't wait for the 3rd one
on 13 June 2016
I bought this boxed set as I've only managed to borrow the first, fourth and fifth stories in the series from our local library, and I was very keen to read the other two. It's modern policing plus magic, or if you prefer, Harry Potter for grown ups plus adult relationships. I really like the stories, although some of the magic has quite gruesome results, but then, if magic was real, that's what you'd expect. It also helps if you know a little about myths and legends (the Green Man, naiads, dryads, unicorns, ley lines, etc.) otherwise you might not understand quite what's happening sometimes. PC Grant's stumbling attempts to learn how to control his magical abilities and broaden his knowledge are quite entertaining, you can almost believe it is possible to learn how to do magic. The London background is also interesting for those of us who live out in the sticks.
I would definitely recommend these books if you like to read something a bit different from normal.
on 12 November 2014
Fantastic. My latest obsession. When is the next one out please?
on 8 March 2016
Great stories with humour, decent plot and strong (if weird) characters. The characters develop through the books so they must be read in order. If you like Terry Pratchett or Tom Holt you'll love these.
on 26 January 2015
Very quirky series but you soon get into the 'magical' background and take it for granted. Very funny and love the main characters. Looking forward to the next book.
on 7 July 2015
Great easy read. Witty writing and clever creative plots. Haven't had such an enjoyable series of books to read for a while now. Can't wait to finish the set!