The fourth book in this wonderful series ups the ante when The Faceless Man plays a strong hand. The writing is as wry, clever and accomplished as ever; there's a magical meeting of the courts of Mama and Father Thames and there's some comic relief provided by Zach of the insatiable appetite, but the humour is toned down as Peter has to become more adept at both proper police work and wizardry when events take a dark turn. Horrible and heart-wrenching murders mean serious undercover work for Peter and Lesley that has them battling with a certain former nurse and facing death at gunpoint; just when you think you can breathe again things escalate to another rooftop showdown and a shattering outcome. I'm still gasping! Straight to book five for me.
on 8 March 2017
I loved the first book in the Peter Grant series, but found book two hard work (maybe it was all that jazz!). But this was a cracking read and back to top form. Treads the fine line between fantasy and police procedural perfectly.
on 21 April 2017
The Ben Aaronovitch's Peter Grant series is a must read. It's original, well written and funny. The fourth book sees Grant visit an area of London I know well, which made it all the more enjoyable. I cannot recommend this series enough.
on 22 April 2017
Great fun & HIGHLY recommended

This is perhaps the best in the series

Like all it is witty, exciting, interesting (a friend lives in the building this story centres on...) and a brilliantly thrilling ride.

But this has a real gut-punch of a twist and plot climax that adds a new layer to any of the previous books.
on 24 March 2017
Another enjoyable read from the P C Grant series and with a cliffhanger ending or plot twist which I won't spoil for anyone
on 21 June 2017
I bought the first of the series when. It was on offer and became hooked. I expect the ideas to run dry but this is not so. Looking forward to reading the next one.
on 28 April 2017
Never a dull moment, loved it. I'd write more but I'm hastening to read the follow up. Enjoy it, I'd say more but I hate spoilers.
on 27 April 2017
Excellent series, have enjoyed every book so far
on 16 May 2017
This is the fourth book inthe Rivers of London series. I have loved every one of them so far. Thoroughy recommendable. Just off tto start no. 5. Hope the Ben Aaronovitch keeps them coming
on 29 March 2015
Yes it was a deliberate pun! As usual Ben has had me reading for longer than I should and haven't done the jobs I should have! Can't wait for the next one.