Customer reviews

Format: Hardcover|Change

on 29 April 2017
Love, love, love this book. Like many other people I have read it many times. Have a hard copy and now have it (and have just reread and laughed all over again) on my Kindle too. Suffice it to say that if you don't like witty, irreverent, hilarious books which concern angels, devils, the four horsemen, the apocalypse et al it's not for you, however if you DO you are in for a rare treat! One of my favourite books.
on 17 May 2017
I read this book when it first came out - bought this to replace the black-covered original paperback that got lost over multiple house moves. Perhaps it's ended up in Aziriphale's bookshop. What can I say? It's still a great, light-hearted take on Armageddon and the Eternal Battle Between Good and Evil. I'm still at a loss why this has never made it to the screen, but I guess it means we can all keep a cast of characters in our heads.

You might think a collaboration between two authors, particularly two with such distinctive styles, would read like cut-and-paste, but the story flows along like a Lennon-McCartney composition. Knowing there can now never be anything quite like it again makes it all the more poignant.
on 15 May 2017
Made me laugh out loud on a number of occasions but just too long. It would benefit from some rigorous cutting.

Still, an enjoyable read and some wonderful (partly) hidden observations about human nature and the way of the world.

Now, why have I not come across the film version?
on 29 January 2015
I've loved this book since I was a kid. I loved it so thoroughly that the spine broke and it vomited pages at me whenever I opened it, so I bought it on kindle. I can still drop it in the bath, but at least I shall no longer be rearranging individual pages in order to finish a chapter.
Such a wonderful story mirroring the minds of people. Especially at the end, when it comes to a head, and Adam thinks. As thoughts go, they're very profound...Particularly about people being people and why we shouldn't expect them to be anything other than people.
Both are wonderful authors, and they compliment each other brilliantly.
on 9 May 2017
Thoroughly enjoyed this book, as will any fan of Neil Gaiman or Terry Pratchett. It's not a heavy read, nor a long read. It's hilarious and ridiculous and definitely worth looking into.

The only downside is that on the kindle version Agnes' predictions are really small and so a bit hard to read.
on 5 March 2017
What can you say about a book which has been a favourite of yours for ever. I don't have the words to do it justice. Just read it.
on 24 April 2017
This is a replacement after my old copy gave up in the end and fell to bits, which can be taken as an indication of just how many times I read it.
on 26 June 2017
A very amusing take on the 'End of the world' , 'Armageddon' , 'Omen' type of books. Pratchett and Gaiman work well together. It is a shame that a film or TV series never saw fruition. The BBC variation wasn't bad but missed out from having a narrator, a lot of very funny parts got left out.
on 2 February 2015
Hi,

I'm a Terry Pratchett fan and bought this after reading a newspaper article about how it was written. As a read it seems to take a long time to get going but it's worth persevering with. It's not quite as good as I hoped but I enjoyed it and would recommend it.
on 13 June 2017
So good so far, it crack me up so badly at times.
I think it is a brilliant comedy idea.