on 8 September 2014
I made the mistake of neglecting to read any reviews of this book before purchasing. I am a huge fan of the universe that Charlaine Harris has constructed in the Sookie Stackhouse series and jumped at the chance to find out what my favourite humans and supes have been up to since Dead Ever After. Disappointed does not even begin to cover how I feel now.

Within 20-25 minutes of unpacking the book and opening it for the first time, I had finished it. I am glad I purchased it at a reduced price from a third party seller as I would feel incredibly cheated if I paid anywhere near the £8.99 RRP (I still feel cheated, the lower price just softens the blow somewhat).

After Dead is made up of short paragraphs describing the futures of the denizens of Bon Temps and Shreveport, along with those of the many characters they encounter along the way. Sookie, Bill and Eric have the longest sections, which comes as no surprise. What is surprising is how many minor, and frankly forgettable characters are included, such as Alfred Cumberland the werewolf photographer. Dedicating an entire page to a few sentences regarding a character so minor that all but the most die-hard fans would have to look up online, just to be reminded of their role in the series, feels like a complete waste of paper.

Even worse is the lack of information given on the pages of some of the less major characters who were also firm fan favourites. Sookies weretiger ex-boyfriend is the best example of this with his section simply reading "John Quinn had many more adventures". Not only is this disappointing, it screams 'spin-off series'.

As it is, the content of After Dead feels like it would have been more suited to a few pages on Charlaine Harris' website, and gives the impression of a publisher mandated cash grab to capitalise on the disappointment many fans felt with the way the series ended, along with their desire to read more about the Southern Vampire Mysteries universe.

I would have much preferred some short stories about the major characters, pre-faced with the information given in this book to get us up to speed on how their lives have progressed since Dead Ever After, with the minor characters biographies included as a few extra pages at the end of the book.

This was, for me, a flat out waste of money and time, and I would recommend it be avoided. Should you feel that you must purchase it to complete your collection, pick it up cheap from a seller here, or buy second hand.
on 29 July 2014
If it hadn't been so expensive it would be laughable...... the biggest con ever! In my opinion Ms Harris is taking the p***! The "book" took no more than 20 minutes to flick through, a real slap in the face for all of us who bought the whole series! Ms Harris should be deeply ashamed of taking advantage of faithful fans in this despicable fashion!
on 1 February 2014
having read all of the books in the sookie stackhouse series, I was bitterly disappointed by the contents of this book, I had thought that an author like charlaine harris would have dealt more fairly with her readers. this is not a book to be enjoyed, it is more a book of reference - no substance and no story either...........a waste of money.
WE SHOULD GET A REFUND
on 29 December 2013
While I knew that this was going to be an 'a-z' of what happened to some of the characters in the series I actually expected there to be more of a story linked to each one, there wasn't, some only got a paragraph! Also a lot of the characters only had minor parts in the books so weren't easy to place (and some to remember at all) so I think a few lines explaining what their background story was before the 'what happen next' part would have been good. With some of the main characters I felt it went a bit too far into the future SPOILER ALERT I really didn't need to know about main characters dying. While the book was quick to read, and if you have all the series is worth getting (at sale price) I do feel that in view of the way the book was written I'd rather have left my favourite characters futures to my own imagination.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 10 January 2014
I ordered this, in fact, pre ordered it as I have with all the other Sookie Series, what I got was a few hastily scribbled lines about every character that ever appeared. After the last book in which I was disappointed despite realising a long time ago that Sookie would never end up with Eric I had hoped for a decent write up for the main characters. Unfortunately not, very little is said and it feels as if this was just written to get more money from the fans.
I feel very let down by Miss Harris, I have read all of her books and supported her for quite some time but she is going to lose fans if she continues doing this sort of thing and hooking another author on to her short stories but not stating that!
on 7 September 2015
What a waste of money. I bought all the books as I'm loved True Blood. The only reason for this book is for the author and publisher to make extra money. Most of this book is included in The Sookie Stackhouse Companion. Don't waste your money on this.
on 6 February 2014
I am only giving this book a rating of one star because it only took me ten minutes to read. It is supposed to tell you what happened next to the characters who have appears in the series, it tell you very little about the main characters and also tells you about very minor ones that no one even cares about. As other reviews have suggested don't bother reading this best to leave it to your own imagination. Very disappointing and a complete waste of money.
on 16 November 2013
Flippant, brief, sometimes a mere sentence on the fate of a character created by Charlaine Harris. I expected at least a chapter on each character for the price of a full novel. Often feeling like it was begrudgingly written to please a publisher bent on the profits to be gained on pushing a cash cow vehicle that little bit further than it should have gone. I expected more and was left feeling like the writer hadn't wanted to write this book herself, as if it had been neither her idea or her inspiration and as if she was irritated at having to produce it. Sadly disappointing.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 7 September 2014
As a fan of The Southern Vampire Mysteries what more could I want than to know what happened to the characters who have been my companion for 13 years? If you are expecting a proper book, this isn't for you but it IS an A thru Z of each character and what befalls them in the future. If you like Tru Blood this probably won't make any sense, but for a fan of Charlaine Harris' Sookie Stackhouse, it is a must.
on 1 April 2014
I read the other bad reviews - but I'm such a Sookie fan that I thought - well - I am re-reading the series, might as well get this one. Although other reviews that I read warned me off, I went ahead and did it anyway. Sigh. It is SO light on content as to be almost non-existent. Yes, we did want to know what came next. But we coiuld have all figured this out for ourselves. You all (my fellow Sookie fans) were right and can say 'I told you so'. Add me to the chorus of disapproval - Don't Buy It.