on 9 November 2013
I am very disappointed with this book. I loved the series but I hated this book. It should be left to your imagination. Or at least put it on the authors website to read for free!! This is just another way to get money out of fans and its wrong!
on 3 November 2013
Don't waste your money on this book, I am a huge sookie fan but this is diabolical!!!! A few lines per page about each character you have ever come across in the books, read it in 15min and then it's a taster for a new book. Shocked I wasted +£6 on it!!!!
on 8 November 2013
I'm not really sure what the people that were giving negative reviews were expecting - the Sookie Stackhouse series ended with 'Dead Ever After' and so there will be no more stories. This book isn't advertised as such, and given the number of characters it covers, it can't give whole stories to explain them all.
It's set out as an 'encyclopedia' - alphabetically covering characters that have appeared through the series and letting us know what happened in their lives after the events of 'Dead Ever After'.
Sure, some of the entries could have been a bit more expanded for the core characters (hence my only giving four stars rather than five), but really there's limited space given the number of people it needs to cover. Also, some of it is quite tongue in cheek and so a sense of humour is needed when reading it. Otherwise, some of the more flippant entries will seem a bit odd.
If you're after another chapter in the Sookie Stackhouse series, then don't read this. But it's never claimed to be, which is why I think it's a shame that it's being given such flack; it neatly wraps up the series and I for one enjoyed flicking through it.
Recommended!
on 31 October 2013
I fully understood that this book was just going to be quick details about how life turned out for the characters of Bon Temps. I did not have amazingly high expectations but I am one of these people that when I finish a series I always want to know what happened next so I was thrilled to see this. I was very disappointed.

I loved the Sookie Stackhouse series. Even when it started to get a bit rubbish around Dead in the Family, I faithfully stuck by it and even didn't give a bad review for the last book. This, however, is a bit of a joke and clearly just a way to make more money out of fans when ideally it could have been done for free on her website to thank all of her fans for their dedication (something that authors such as J K Rowling did).

We are told the fate of every character who appeared in the novels. Some are so obscure that even I, as someone who is a very thorough reader, didn't have the foggiest who they were. Some of the characters have one sentence to describe what happened, usually along the lines of something like 'he got gonorrhoea'. I didn't expect another story but I did expect more than a few paragraphs about what happened in Sookie's life. It was just so empty and I felt so unfulfilled at the end of it (which only took me 10 minutes to get to). I just feel so much more could have been said and just a little more depth, humour and detail could have been added. Instead the writing felt lazy and unenthusiastic.

I am so gutted at how bad it was. As a big fan it just felt like a bit if a slap in the face charging me over £6 for a 10 minute, half hearted read. Like I said I was under no illusion that this was going to be an amazing full novella which just makes my disappointment even worse. I would suggest to borrow it for free from a library and not to buy it. The only good thing was that I was really glad to see that Sookie and Sam got their happy ending.
on 7 September 2014
As a fan of The Southern Vampire Mysteries what more could I want than to know what happened to the characters who have been my companion for 13 years? If you are expecting a proper book, this isn't for you but it IS an A thru Z of each character and what befalls them in the future. If you like Tru Blood this probably won't make any sense, but for a fan of Charlaine Harris' Sookie Stackhouse, it is a must.
on 1 July 2014
This is so unbelievably disappointing. I felt compelled to buy the book as I had read all of the others so I wanted to know what happened to my favourite characters. I begrudged spending £7 on the shortest book I have ever read that detailed characters I didn't even remember. One of the lines is literally "He got gonnorhea" what?!?!?!?! I am truly disappointed that Harris felt the need to charge people such an extortionate amount for something she could have made a feature on her website (as another reviewer mentioned) or at least make it a 99p download. £7 for a book that had pages with one line on is pathetic. Yes it is stated it's not a story and I didn't expect anything major, but it is so overpriced and I feel robbed. Literally like she is trying to get as much money out of her fans as she can without providing anything. Shame on her.
on 29 November 2013
As a lady who has read most of the Charlaine Harris books to date I'm so disappointed with this book, in fact I would question the point of it. I thought it was a must to read the last chapter to the series only to find that this book is just a waste of paper, in fact most of the main characters have less than half a page written about them and there are no surprises or anything that you wouldn't have guessed following the last book. I see this as a really cheap tactic to sell more books, very disappointed!
on 8 September 2014
I made the mistake of neglecting to read any reviews of this book before purchasing. I am a huge fan of the universe that Charlaine Harris has constructed in the Sookie Stackhouse series and jumped at the chance to find out what my favourite humans and supes have been up to since Dead Ever After. Disappointed does not even begin to cover how I feel now.

Within 20-25 minutes of unpacking the book and opening it for the first time, I had finished it. I am glad I purchased it at a reduced price from a third party seller as I would feel incredibly cheated if I paid anywhere near the £8.99 RRP (I still feel cheated, the lower price just softens the blow somewhat).

After Dead is made up of short paragraphs describing the futures of the denizens of Bon Temps and Shreveport, along with those of the many characters they encounter along the way. Sookie, Bill and Eric have the longest sections, which comes as no surprise. What is surprising is how many minor, and frankly forgettable characters are included, such as Alfred Cumberland the werewolf photographer. Dedicating an entire page to a few sentences regarding a character so minor that all but the most die-hard fans would have to look up online, just to be reminded of their role in the series, feels like a complete waste of paper.

Even worse is the lack of information given on the pages of some of the less major characters who were also firm fan favourites. Sookies weretiger ex-boyfriend is the best example of this with his section simply reading "John Quinn had many more adventures". Not only is this disappointing, it screams 'spin-off series'.

As it is, the content of After Dead feels like it would have been more suited to a few pages on Charlaine Harris' website, and gives the impression of a publisher mandated cash grab to capitalise on the disappointment many fans felt with the way the series ended, along with their desire to read more about the Southern Vampire Mysteries universe.

I would have much preferred some short stories about the major characters, pre-faced with the information given in this book to get us up to speed on how their lives have progressed since Dead Ever After, with the minor characters biographies included as a few extra pages at the end of the book.

This was, for me, a flat out waste of money and time, and I would recommend it be avoided. Should you feel that you must purchase it to complete your collection, pick it up cheap from a seller here, or buy second hand.
on 2 November 2013
I pre ordered this book as i was dissapointed with how the last book in the series ended. I wish i hadn't wasted my money, its full of characters i couldn't remember and their outcome was very brief including that of sookie. If i could get a refund i would, my advice is don't waste your money on this book.
on 3 November 2013
Wasn't convinced when I ordered it, but have read all the others, so felt I needed to read this. Wish I hadn't. Just a money-making book. Devoid of any interesting content. Ruined the 'afters' I had created in my head. Don't buy this book.