on 6 June 2017
All this books and stuff, that isn’t what it should all be about. What we need is real wizardry.

There was an eighth son of an eighth son. He was, quite naturally, a wizard. And there it should have ended. However (for reasons we’d better not go into), he had seven sons. And then he had an eighth son… a wizard squared…a source of magic…a Sourcerer.

Unseen University has finally got what it wished for: the most powerful wizard on the disc. Which, unfortunately, could mean that the death of all wizardry is at hand. And that the world is going to end, depending on whom you listen to. Unless of course one inept wizard can take the University’s most precious artefact, the very embodiment of magic itself, and deliver it halfway across the disc to safety…

Synopsis

Before I start this review just let me point out that it’s not a misspelling in the title of this book but merely Terry’s play on words.

This is the fifth book of the discworld series and a Rincewind book, the book takes many sartirical swipes at some of the biggest known fantasy books for example Lord of the Rings, Narnia, The Tempest and many more. Unlike many satires this one also has a fantastic story of its own.

The story starts with a wizard and his son who is an eighth son of an eighth son of an eighth son. Coins father cheats death by making himself part of his staff that’s he gave to Coin as an infant. When Coin reaches ten his father uses his wizardry to try and destroy the Unseen University and the world.

However, he didn’t count on Rincewind, his sidekick Luggage, the orangutan librarian, a wizards hat, Corina the daughter of Cohen the barbarian, an adventurer whose learning adventuring from a book and a genie who doesn’t follow the normal genie pattern.

What ensues is a journey to save the Unseen University and maybe the world too.

Pratchetts humour comes through more strongly here and the fifth book of the discworld starts to show some of what was was come in his later books.

The start of the book says ” This book does not contain a map. Please feel free to draw your own”. I couldn’t have found a better quote to describe the discworld series so far. Rules that are established in one book don’t follow through into another. Character traits and appearances change and there isn’t much structure! However I never expected anything else from Terry and this is what makes his books uniquely funny.

Once again I gave 5 stars to this book and swiftly moved onto the next book in the series
on 8 September 2015
I am reading the Discworld novels in published order, and, for me, this is probably the weakest so far. It is still very readable, with a clear narrative, lots of tangential musings, and some very funny lines. It just didn't grab me as much as the others I have read so far.
The story centres on the appearance of a sourcerer at the Unseen University, and the consequences, with Rincewind - an old friend - seemingly the only one who can save Discworld. He picks up a couple of fellow travellers along the way, before the final denouement. The story moves along at the author's usual rapid pace, but once or twice, particularly at the end, characters inexplicably change just to make the story work, which I found rather spoilt it for me.
on 8 June 2016
Not my favourite Discworld novel, but I cannot complain on how fast this novel arrived (once again, thank you, Prime).
In terms of knowledge for this novel, readers will need to know- Actually, you could figure it out for yourselves, as people with a mad imagination could only read these, including myself, in fact. I suppose it is a bit of a sequel to Equal Rites, what with the seventh son of the seventh son and all.
Still, it is as enjoyable as any Discworld novel.
on 1 August 2011
This is the 5th book in the critically acclaimed DiscWorld series and they appear to go from strength to strength. I thoroughy enjoyed books 1-4 which I read prior to this one, and now this one, Sourcery, is my new favourite (I seem to say that about all of them as I read them :-p)

DiscWorld has always had wizards from the lowest student to the 8th (highest) level, and usually they led quiet unassuming lives, avoiding contact with most of the citizens of DiscWorld. Generally speaking there is a rule that states that wizards should not have children, but one of them ignored this. He was the eighth son of an eighth son and so, naturally, was born a wizard. However, this wizard went on to have 8 children of his own, the eighth being a boy; the eighth son of an eighth son of an eighth son. His son, however, was not born a wizard, he was born a Sourcerer. They have not been seen since the beginning of magical time on Discworld, which was a good thing, as they were extremely powerful beings, making an eighth level wizard, including the most powerful of them, the Archancellor, nothing but a baby in comparison. The Sourceror is so powerful that he threatens the existence of DiscWorld itself - and he's only 10-years-old!! Can our inept, not even level 1 wizard, Rincewind stop him?

A vary excellent installment to the DiscWorld series.

A note on the Kindle version: Flawless! Not one typo, misprint or mis-represented letter. Neat formatting too.
VINE VOICEon 4 February 2010
The eighth son of an eighth son is a wizard but the eighth son of a wizard is a wizard squared a source of power, a Sourcerer. When a young Sourcerer turns up at the Unseen University it falls to Rincewind, the Discs worst wizard, to save the world along with the Luggage and the daughter of the Discs greatest hero.

While I do think it is worth a low four out of five, `Sourcery' has never been one of my favourite Discworld books and it is probably one of the weakest of the Wizards series. I don't know what it is I dislike about the book as the characters are interesting and while the plot is a little light it is nonetheless as funny as any of the early Discworld books. As well as this the final confrontation with the Sourcerer is also very good.

One of the things I dislike about the book is that the Luggage, while still having some great scenes, does seem to be underused as if Terry couldn't think of what to do with it in some places. Other than this and the usual slight difference in style of the early books to the superior books later in the series, I cannot quite put my figure on why I dislike the book.

Despite my dislike of `Sourcery' I would still give it four stars as it is nonetheless entertaining and worth reading by any Discworld fan.
on 16 March 2016
I cannot believe I've reached my 40s without ever having read any Terry Pratchet. I always loved Douglas Adams and it in a similar style. I reckon that with around 40 books to go at, there's a couple of years reading material here and I'm loving it.
'Sourcery' was probably my least favourite of the 5 books so far, but its still a great read.
on 4 June 2013
I had previously purchased Sourcery as a paperback, but gave it away a few years ago. It's one of the early Discworld novels from Terry Pratchet and one of his best. Having decided I wanted to read it again I re-purchased it as a Kindle book. Excellent! "One Click Ordering" and it was on my Kindle when I looked a couple of minutes later.

If you haven't read a Discworld novel yet, you should give them a try. Pure escapism with warmth, humour, action and cohesive story lines, they've got it all and are hard to put down! And Sourcery isn't a bad place to start.
on 18 October 2015
I'm not going to review the novel - it's been done many times before and enjoyed by millions. The latest edition of the hardback makes a smart display set - the paper's not that great but then who reads books these days - with everything available on tablet.... I may even sell off my first editions and just keep these
on 14 May 2017
I'm catching up on my Pratchett and what an enjoyable experience it is. This is funny but also like so many of his stories there is a lot of hidden education in it on how to run a country.
on 8 September 2016
These books are great. They are laugh out loud funny but at times you have to look for the jokes as they are word play. I do not know half Terry Pratchett holds the disk world in his mind. Cheers to a great author with a great mind