on 6 June 2015
According to many, this is the book where the author really got into his stride with his Discworld novels, and that the first three were appetisers. I'm not sure about that. It certainly runs on well from the earlier books, and as usual, you can easily read it as a standalone, although having read the previous volumes, you have a bit of a headstart concerning Discworld, and some of its places and inhabitants. The main characters in this episode are Death - who we have met in previous stories - and Mort, to whom Death offers an apprenticeship. I won't go into the story, as it would spoil it for you, but it is well written, well paced, and had - for me - a few geniune 'laugh out loud' moments.
I have enjoyed all four books I have now read in the series, and although this one is perhaps a little better plotted and paced, I would urge you to read them in order, as they make more sense that way. There are some great characters - Death is a wonderful creation - and many events do actually make you stop and think. Certainly Discworld is imaginary, but imagined worlds always allow authors to reflect on our own, real world.
on 25 January 2016
Nothing that the late great Terry Pratchett did was poor. This is no exception.
I started my Discworld journey with Mort nearly 25 years ago! I enjoyed it this time just as much as I did then. The characters are so vividly written and the Discworld is a truly humorous mirror of our own world.
It saddens me to realise that there will never be another novel by Sir Terry, but being able to revisit the old books is a constant delight.
I do have some on my kindle but I love the paper books too. You can't take a kindle into the bath!
If you've never had the chance to read any of these novels then Mort is a good place to start.
on 14 June 2016
A re-read from yonks ago and still as good and original as it was first time around. Fantasy characters firmly grounded in reality - even Death comes across as larger-than-life - with a constancy of dialogue and descriptors which is unfortunately missing from some of the last of the Disc-World series. Plot is pacey and entertaining, insights and asides so much deeper and more accurate than those coming from less entertaining thinkers. A masterpiece from a great immortal.
VINE VOICEon 28 January 2010
The forth Discworld novel, `Mort' is the first to centre on the character of Death and is probably my favourite of the early Discworld books. The story sees Death take on an apprentice called Mort who begins to learn the trade and get to know the eccentric members of Death's household. Things get more complicated though when, on his first solo mission, Mort makes a decision that could derail the course of history but with Death becoming more human and Mort becoming less so things only go from bad to worse.

The series of Discworld books that focus on Death and his family are my favourite of the Discworld series and while this book is probably the weakest of that series it is still one of the better books from the early novels. The plot is good and the characters are all as interesting as you would expect from Discworld characters. Death himself is easily the best character in the book and this book is where he first starts becoming one of the best characters in the Discworld series. The style of writing is still not as polished as some of the later books but it is still recognisably Terry Pratchett.
on 8 February 2018
It's a brilliant book. Some say that this should be the first book you read when starting your Discworld adventure. I'd say start with Equal Rites (the book before) but that's only because Equal Rites, while not as good as this one, is still brilliant.

It's a very good start to the series, and the books actually get better!
on 6 May 2016
My first encounter with the godfather was sky 1's adaptation and whilst reading I realised no much it had stuck to the plot.
Whilst an interesting read with some great characters I found the story wavered on tangents for a while and the plot a bit wavy. Made up for however by the dead cert Susan, more human than dead Death and Banjo the underdog. Would read again just to see what little clues I've missed
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 11 January 2018
Maybe the humour is not for me. Feels meandering and repetitive which is a shame since the beginning was so good. Worth a try but I preferred the previous book which seemed to have better characters and didn't get bogged down with jokes about the figure of death.
on 9 February 2018
Mort has always been my favourite Discworld title, so much so that I have re-read several times and still find it as enjoyable as the first time!!

If you're new to Pratchett, start with this book and you'll be hooked!!
on 12 January 2014
Death in my opinion is quite possibly the coolest, funniest and most interesting character on the disc. So I was really looking forward to reading this one, however, I didn't take to it as I have the others I've read.

I think it may be due to the fact that I couldn't take to the novels lead character, Mort. This loses a star for that reason. On the plus side there's a rather hilarious scene involving a drunken elephant being sacrificed to the Gods...which goes a little pear shaped, this had me chuckling. Also has a good ending in my opinion.

If you're a fan of the Reaper or simply, like myself, trying to work your way through all of the Discworld novels, don't skip on this one.
on 2 April 2015
I'm fairly new to Terry Prachett - I've read Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic and always intended to read the rest. I must admit, it was his untimely death that has spurred me on.

I recently finished the very excellent Equal Rites and now Mort. I'm not going to go into the plot except to say it involves Death, his apprentice and lots of misadventure. Suffice to say it is very funny, really immersive and highly entertaining. Oh, and Death himself, is a Hoot.

If you like Prachett you probably have already read this. If you are new to him then lap it up!