Format: Paperback|Change

on 16 July 2014
I really enjoyed reading this book, even though I don't usually read books about sailing or travelling! It is well written, at times quite revealing, interesting & entertaining. I look forward to reading the next instalment of Emma's adventures. Go Emma!
on 6 August 2014
Excellent honest and well written account. A refreshing account of a life change, which begs a sequel.
Great reading, either for those who wish to consider throwing everything aside and taking the plunge, or for those who wish to experience it vicariously. I read it at one go.
on 15 July 2014
This book covers cruising in its many forms, from the freedom of being just a couple on a boat, to having every moment of your life planned for you crewing on one of the super yachts. Emma's excellent easy to read writing brings to life the ups and downs, the fun and the fears, of life at sea. I was disappointed when I came to the end – reading it on my kindle I was so engrossed in it I was completely unaware of where I was in the book - so it was a bit of a shock. I want to read the next part Emma!
on 6 August 2014
I really enjoyed this book. The story moves with pace and the colourful characters and places fill the pages. Emma didn't chose an easy life afloat and we get a sense of the hard work in some of her boats, and , unmentioned, the work involved in recording material for this book. It was also an adventure not without personal risk, and whilst this adds zest to the story, one imagines that not everyone who follows this route to happiness, will find quite as positive an outcome. But Emma is a skilful journalist ( and by the by, a decent sailor too) and I felt that she can tell a good story, which for this book, is all that matters. I hope that there is a sequel.
on 4 January 2016
I always enjoy travel books by women because they are generaly honest about themselves and people they meet whereas many men are reluctant to show themselves other than in a good light. Emma's story of crewing on a variety of boats with a mixed bunch of skippers is fascinating. Her first captain, Steve, is hardly her ideal man being vertically and folically challenged and wearing oversized and over-flamboyant shirts. He's also desperate for a girlfriend and would like it to be Emma. She's generous enough to share his bed for a few nights but makes it clear that there will be no long term involvement. He finds this hard to accept and eventually orders her off the boat. A good thing because she goes on to more adventures with more interesting people. Emma, I admire your spirit and your honesty. Please write some more, perhaps expanding on your experience in journalism.
on 7 July 2014
Having done a fair bit of travelling myself back in the day, I was looking forward to reading Casting Off. My travel was overland and didn’t involve any yachts, but every now and again I get the urge to pack it all in again and run away to the other side of the planet. Casting Off has well and truly re-awakened my exploration bug. Once I finished the book it was all I could do to stop myself marching into my boss’s office and demanding a career break to go exploring in the jungles of East Asia.

Bamford’s travels well and truly eclipse mine, though. Whilst I took the well-trodden route of backpacker buses through Australia and New Zealand, hers involve small yachts in the middle of open seas with complete strangers, near misses with pirates in the Indian Ocean, and Pygmy Elephant spotting on the rivers of Borneo. This book left me feeling I had shared these adventures with the author, taking me along on her journey of self-discovery - whilst avoiding being mawkish or overly introspective.

I’ll be interested to find out what happened after the book left off – there’s something of a cliff hanger. Let’s hope there’s a sequel.
on 3 July 2014
Fantastic read. Enjoying the adventures through Emma's eyes. Interesting people and places come to life through this book. A real summer /beach treat.
on 2 November 2015
This book started slowly for me and I nearly gave up. In the end it was 'required' reading and I couldn't put it down. As someone about to sail around the world on his own yacht, this book isn't like most of the 'how I sailed around the world' books, nor does the author claim that. What this book documents, with clarity, humour and professional storytelling, is one lady's story of escape from the life that enslaved most, to a freedom that has little to do with boats, and lots to do with attitude and an independent spirit. The fact that the narrative involves yachts, sea, far off places that I have visited by land but not yet sea, made this book even better. Thanks Emma, and I look forward to episode 2!
on 4 July 2014
Well written, authentic, full of humanity and a good fun read. Underneath it is an inspiring tale of how any of us can make our dreams real, even if the details are not quite what is expected...
on 5 November 2014
I loved this book, well written and an interesting peep into an idyllic life style; not without its up and downs danger and excitement, fun times and happy days. I do hope there will be another book, you just can't leave me here wondering what happens next......