Don't you just love it when you read a thriller/mystery and you haven't got a CLUE how it's going to end? That's what happened when I read this!

Waking up in a strange city, in strange clothes, without even your handbag - a marvellous start to any book! Ms Barr has done something with Blackout that I love - the dotting between past and present so that the gaps are filled in and the picture builds up gradually. Very effective. As often with this author's heroines, there are hints of a less than easy past from quite early on, but nothing is predictable. I love stories that don't explain everything too clearly. I was completely surprised by the ending, and hadn't seen any of it coming at all - I'd already written my own in my head! I know people reviewing books often say 'this would make a brilliant film' - okay, okay, I'm going to say it too! Not so much a film, though, I didn't think, as a four part TV drama serial. Come on, BBC - this would be a winner!
on 1 June 2014
I loved this short story, keeps you gurssing till the end.This is the first time Ive read anything by Emily Barr but I dont think it will be the last.
Well worth a read
on 30 June 2017
great book
on 11 February 2014
Bought this book today to try. Firstly I don't really enjoy reading as I suffer from dyslexia but having seen these quick read books advertised for people like myself I thought id try one. Naturally I didn't know what sort of book would be for me so I took a chance and bough Blackout. I have to admit it, I read it in one day and I honestly couldn't put it down. Fantastic story about a lady who comes to find herself in Paris but has no idea how she got there. It had me guessing the plot all the way along and I loved it from the start. Having tried my first quick read book I'm excited to try my next and for only £1 each you cant moan if they really don't suit you still.
on 4 November 2014
Sophie wakes up in a room in Paris and doesn't know how she got there and doesn't recognize the clothes she's wearing. She has no passport with her and no money. All she remembers is that she went to bed beside her husband in London on Sunday evening, after checking that her baby was asleep too, and now it's Thursday and she has no idea what happened in between. And where is her baby?

A fast-paced, gripping read, with lots of unexpected turns. Every time I was sure, I had figured it out, the author came up with another twist of the story. In the end I had reached a point where I didn't trust anyone anymore.
I couldn't put the story down until I finished it.
on 23 March 2014
This is a super little mystery that had me stumped for most of it. Sophie wakes up in a room alone and confused not knowing where she is or how she got there. The story is told partly in flashback as she struggles to piece things together and the only thing that starts to become clear through her haze is remembering that she has a baby. The underlying story is one of substance, both clever and sad - a story that doesn't disappoint.

A good 5* read.
on 25 July 2014
Emily Barr had come highly recommended- so I decided to give this quick read a try. I really enjoyed the book- wondering what had happened to the main character and what had happened before she found herself in Paris without any money or her passport. It was a great introduction to a new author and I can't wait to read more
on 7 June 2014
This is the first book I have read by this author, and I thoroughly enjoyed it and it held my interest through to the end,one of those books you look forward to reading every night, I would certainly recommend her.
on 24 February 2014
Emily barrs books are always so good. This book has lived up to Emily's usual standard. I read this short story in one sitting wish it was longer. Would definitely say it's worth a read.
on 3 February 2014
I really enjoyed this. Very quick read, but still with substance, this was an engrossing read. I do like Emily Barr's writing and this was to her usual high standard. Very enjoyable.