Customer reviews

on 16 October 2017
Same as you expect from batsman but again love Starkey he's a brilliant
Character but I did not laugh out loud with hilarity as usual maybe I grown out of them
Sad to say
on 11 July 2017
Excellent. Never been disappointed by a Bateman.
on 1 August 2017
This is a book, not only for Bateman fans, but also for anyone who enjoys a witty, intriguing thriller which keeps you guessing until the end. Perhaps not as gripping as some of his other Dan Starkey novels but well worth a read nevertheless.
on 16 July 2017
Always a brilliant read
on 22 October 2017
rived
on 18 October 2013
This book is a big disappointment to an avid reader of Colin BATEMAN's books.
It is a poor offering devoid of the the charm, characterization plot twists and humour of previous 'Dan Starkey' novels. If you want to read a Colin Bateman book I recommend you read :Divorcing Jack (Starkey1), Of Wee Sweetie Mice and Men (2), Turbulent Priests and Nine Inches.
VINE VOICEon 17 July 2014
I have read, and really enjoyed, many of this author's previous novels over the years, I love his writing and storytelling style. I think most if not all of them I read before I started book blogging/reviewing so I can only say that I enjoyed them so much and recommended them here there and everywhere by word of mouth. The first ones I read were Cycle of Violence and Divorcing Jack. You might have seen or heard of the film version of the latter novel too, featuring David Thewlis. As well as the novels featuring Dan Starkey, of which this (Fire and Brimstone) is one, I've read and enjoyed some of the novels in the 'Mystery Man', bookshop-based series as well as others by this author.

Anyway, getting on to Fire and Brimstone properly, this is another entertaining and bumpy ride along with Dan Starkey. Dark, at times bleak and sad, at times very funny and witty indeed, sometimes violent, occasionally possibly near the knuckle to some (topics include drug wars, religion, and abortion), but the story is always very very readable and the author always keeps you wanting to turn the pages.

This time around, Dan, now a private investigator, takes on the job of tracking a missing person, the daughter of a billionaire. Alison Wolff was last seen at a party, where terrible tragedy occurred. Has she been kidnapped, is she still alive? It's up to Dan to find out, and inevitably as per usual he gets up to his neck in it all, finding fresh and deeper trouble at each turn, this time getting mixed up in religious cults and drug gangs. Amazingly, for those who have been with them throughout the series of novels, Trish is still around despite everything.

I love the dark humour, the writing style, the intrigue and twists in the story, the close calls and near misses, the sharp, witty dialogue, and I'm always curious to find out what Dan Starkey will get involved with next. Do give one of his books a try if you've never read one before, ideally I'd recommend starting with an earlier novel, if for example you wanted to follow Dan's path from the start, though it's not a prerequisite for reading this one, but I think it does add to the enjoyment if you know the background. I think this is an author whose books you can get addicted to, and I'm always pleased to see a new one appear.
on 24 November 2013
Another foray in to the world of Dan Starkey the book is set in a alternative Ulster where the terrorists are replaced with Drug gangs and religious cults.

Plot - Dan Starkey is hired to search for the missing daughter of a Billionaire as usual there is the witty dialogue you get in a Bateman novel and Dan Starkey is a old stalwart so in some ways it is easy to slip in to the ebb and flow of the plot.

Overall a very good read if you Bateman then I don't think you will be disappointed.
on 30 October 2013
Just get the impression that Dan is slowing down in his old age. Certainly doesn't seem as lively as he once was. Its still classic Bateman in style but call me spoilt , not enough happening these days...
on 10 December 2014
This is another Dan Starkey classic! I picked this novel as I am a Starkey fan and have read all the books in the series. Also I love the author, Colin Bateman writes with passion. There are twists and turns in the book. There are also references to previous storylines from his other books. Don't let this put you off though as you can read this as a standalone novel, though it is best to read read them from the beginning starting with Divorcing Jack. I am off now for a twix and a coke and to start on the next Dan Starkey adventure!