Customer reviews

1,467
Format: Paperback|Change

on 28 July 2015
This is the first book of Neil Gaiman's I've read and to be honest I was disappointed. Not sure what I expected but I ploughed on to the end hoping it would be amazing and not predictable. It was the later. I didn't find it believable that the main character, a seven year old, would be so astute in saving the world and commenting on parenting skills. Maybe I'll come back to it later and re-read it to see the magic :)
on 28 May 2017
I'm a little younger now than when Neil Gaiman wrote this. However, I am still old enough to smile at some of the childhood references, such as old TV series with presenters dressed as American Indians, and dangerous gas fires in bedrooms. This is a book with themes about childhood memories; they are so much stronger and more vivid than those we form as adults. There is a light fantasy story that pulls you along. If you like childhood reminiscences, a touch of sadness - but not too much, and cats, then you should like this book.
on 21 May 2014
I enjoyed 'The Ocean At The End of The Lane' from beginning to end, I love the story of the narrator facing powers he does not understand in the shape of Ursula who arrives in his home shortly after the suicide of the lodger. The narrator makes friend with Lettie Hempstock, a girl who lives with her mother, Ginnie and her grandmother, Old Mrs Hempstock, all of the Hempstock women are different and have been part of the world for a long time, now they all have to fight against Ursula.

As I said, I enjoyed the book from the start to finish, I love the worlds that Neil Gaiman creates and how his stories unfold, you become part of the story.

A lovely read.
on 10 May 2017
Read this in one sitting on a flight home from Cuba - I'd have stopped to watch a movie or do something else but this is one of those books that you just can't put down... OK, so everything Neil Gaiman writes is brilliant, but this one isn't just the best book of his I've read, it's one of the best books I've ever read.
on 19 March 2017
I really enjoyed reading this book. It seems to be a simple story, but touches on many issues such as passage of time, the truth of memory and innocence of childhood. It begins in a realistic setting but events soon take a magical/fantastical turn and a tense adventure follows. Not what I expected when I started reading this book, but a pleasant surprise.
on 15 June 2014
This short novel enveloped me in its otherworldliness, a universe full of unknown powers and threats that lives within the world we know. The length, in between a novel and a short story, allows you to tear through the story and be absorbed. The story is essentially quite simple: good eventually wins over evil, though that win comes at a price. It is told with such warmth for the strong women and the young boy and paints such vivid scenes that it revived some memories of my own, leaving me aglow.
on 19 July 2015
Having previously read and enjoyed Neil Gaiman's Stardust, which is a straightforward fairy story for adults, I read this. I am not sure what genre it falls into, fantasy, sci-fi, child psychology! I couldn't put it down because I wanted to know how it ended but I can't say that I actually enjoyed it. Very well written but quite unsettling.
on 20 March 2017
Imaginative and intense,
The Ocean at the end of the Lane is a sweet, yet scary, story of childhood innocence and imagination.
on 25 June 2017
I loved this story. This is my first Neil Gaiman read. It was engaging and had my heart pumping during the chase! English isn't my first language but I had to look up just a handful of words. I highly recommend reading it.
on 7 March 2017
Just a wonderful story, told in an enchanting way. I read it too quickly, I couldn't put it down. So the next day I read it again. I don't think I've fallen in love with a book like that for years.