1,322

on 19 June 2014
There's not much to say about this book, other than it's as wonderful as any story could be.
If you enjoy Neil Gaiman's work, this doesn't disappoint; it's full of the magic that you'd expect, delivered with beautiful prose and imagery.
It reminded me of my favourite Gaiman novel, American Gods - the plot is amazing, the characters fascinating and the author's imagination is a delight.
on 27 February 2015
I admit to being a Gaiman fan, but this one tops my list. Masterfully written, genuinely terrifying and impossible to put down. Fantasy like this allows us all to believe in that world that is just out of sight, and usually out of reach. Recommended.
on 23 February 2015
A good read, with sections that could be really frightening for a younger reader. The plot is developed well and holds you to the end. A sign of a good book for me, is how many times I would want to read it again. I've read this twice and expect to do so again.
on 24 January 2014
This is the first Neil Gaiman book I have read and what a beautiful experience it was. I feel young again, go ahead, read this book and just let yourself (if you're a grown up like me!) be a child again.
on 19 April 2014
When I first picked the book up and started to read I thought it a bit pedestrian, without direction. I placed the book on the 'maybe-I-will-read-later' pile. But it had planted an ember in my mind that began to glow. I continued reading the book the following day. The fantasy became more and more intriguing. So much so that I finished it in record time. I am still struggling to understand why, but it is a bloody good read.
on 19 July 2013
I loved this story - I've lived it, sort of! Like Gaiman's nameless narrator, I was a rather solitary, imaginative, bookish child of the fading, post-war British Empire; that now-distant time of relative affluence and stifling conformity before the advent of televison, computers or mobile phones. I know this Dennis Potter-meets-Enid Blyton world - filtered through the inescapable cruelties and miscomprehensions of childhood, it was a time of cosy certainty for children; roast lamb dinners followed by steamed pudding with custard, and rambles down unsealed, blackberry-hedged country roads long since overtaken by suburban sprawl. But we knew about the borderlands of the wild things, us country kids. Unshielded from the realities of birth and death, of "nature red in tooth and claw", and with the veils of all possibilities still shifting about us, we knew that tigers lived under the bed and that gods and demons were as real as you and I.

I see the influence of much-loved childhood authors lurking beneath the surface of "The Ocean at the End of the Lane", authors like Kipling, Tolkien, Henry Treece, Rosemary Sutcliff and Alan Garner, whose work was shaped by the powerful presence of the natural world, the echoes of an older, more pagan England, the ancient battle between the forces of light and darkness, and the timeless themes of universal mythology; ritual kingship, the Goddess and the hero-quest as the one true story behind all legends.

That the young hero of "Ocean at the End of the Lane" should find the Cosmic Ocean in a duckpond on a rundown farm at the end of a rural lane, guarded by the dread Triple Goddess - Maiden, Mother and Crone in the guise of a comfortably down-to-earth farming family - comes as no surprise to me. We fragile, inconsequential humans have always mythologized our lives in order to make sense of a terrifyingly random world beyond our control. And we've always known that reality lies in the perception, Gaiman and I.

Category: Whatever you want it to be- adult/YA/fantasy/coming-of-age/fairytale/horror story/memoir...
on 12 July 2015
Really enjoyed this. I like Neil Gaiman anyway, but this book was truly great. The story is entertaining and the characters engaging, though I was never quite sure what kind of story it was, but that is the measure of a good book, you keep reading because it draws you in. Definitely worth reading.
on 6 June 2014
I found this book easy and compelling to read. I was really surprised to find I'd almost reached the end of it so quickly. However, it was just a little too weird to make sense of which left me frustrated.
on 6 August 2015
I am a bit of a fussy reader, this was wonderful, just the right length, satisfying end. Didn't feel ripped off at the end of it like some cheap books. I absolutly loved this book, just suited me I supose. A 'proper' story. Thank you Neil Gaiman,
on 14 July 2013
A relatively short but spell-binding novel, it is told from the viewpoint (mostly) of a small boy in a world where nothing much makes sense except books. I found the charm of this book was in the lead character, who could have been me at that age, lost in a world of exploration and books. The suicide of a lodger throws him into a world over which he has no control and of which he understands nothing, where his existence and that of his family, even the world, is put under threat.