on 2 December 2013
Neil Gaiman is one of my favorite authors, but after finishing this book I felt distinctly underwhelmed. Throughout the first half of the book I was gripped, but towards the end the story it just fizzled out. When I found out this book was original a short story however it made more sense. I think Gaiman was pushed here to make the story longer, yet it didn't really pay off.

Still worth a read if you're a fan though, just don't expect the mythical greatness his stories usually entail.
on 13 April 2014
My daughter gave me my first Neil Gaiman book to read, I enjoyed it and wanted more, he is a great writer - I never skip a page or go to the last page of the book to see the ending. Every page is good you have to savor it like a good meal, I enjoyed this book - the twist and turns and the sadness that flowed from begining to end. Horried man and poor cat, nice girl thats all I'm saying go read it Now!!
on 17 May 2014
I know Clive and Neil are contemporaries, but reading this really made me think I was reading one of Clive's Golden Era stories. A really enjoyable, if short novel. My only criticism really is that a 7 year old boy would not have been able to cope with most of the tribulations that the main protagonist in this book had to put up with, regardless of his intelligence and maturity.
on 22 May 2015
Not finished yet, partly because some sections are so gruesome that I can only read it in small phases! However, it is a fascinating premise, and different from the vast majority of books I have read.
on 5 April 2015
This was the first Neil Gaiman book I have read and I was pleasantly surprised. I rarely read fantasy so I don't know if this book is unusual in the genre, all I can say is it was very well written and kept me gripped.
on 5 February 2014
It begins like most Neil Gaiman stories, where the ordinary suddenly becomes anything but ordinary and rapidly descends into a world where fantasy and reality coexist (except few people can see them). This story differs though, in that the event it revolves around is one of pure horror, and is terrifying to read and stays with you long after you finish. I wonder if Mr. Gaiman would ever write a pure horror novel without the fantasy elements?
on 29 September 2013
What happens when an instrospective child's journey towards the adult world starts moving across a a landsape that is nothing like as solid as it seems and adults who were supposed to be as dependable as a rock turn out to be corruptible and just as vulnerable as a child. The feel is Philip Pullman-esque with a hint of Terry Pratchett's style for younger readers; this is a top-quality fascinating story which is written to its natural lenth without uncessary padding. I can't think of anyone I know who who would not like this book.
on 3 November 2014
I think this book is aimed at a younger person than me. It is well written and keeps your attention but is lacking in depth and atmosphere. Perhaps it is more of a teenagers book. I would recommend it as an easy fantasy read for anyone who just needs a gentle non challenging book.
This is the best thing Neil Gaiman has written in years. His children's books - where most of his energies have been concentrated for the last several years - are always good, but his adult books are his best work and he pulls out all the stops with The Ocean at the End of the Lane. This is his most poetic, imaginative and visionary novel since Neverwhere- possibly ever. And he's still obsessed with doors. Why is that, I wonder?
on 22 July 2013
I enjoyed this book. It really reminds you of being a kid, and it has some pretty creepy bits, too. And the 'baddie' is really hate-able, which is fun.

For some reason when I finished it, though, I felt a little bit unsatisfied. It didn't make me think a lot afterwards (what it does make you think about a bit is how strange memories are - especially childhood ones), which is kind of what I really want out of a book. That's why it's not getting that 5th star.

I was entertained, though, and I enjoyed the read so I would still recommend it to most readers.