Format: Paperback|Change

on 9 April 2010
If you want a good quality, creepy horror and you enjoy a good fright this could be the book for you. I found it spine-chilling and thoroughly enjoyed it. A bit like an updated Dennis Wheatley. I recommend it.
on 6 December 2014
This is quite a spooky book but not quite what I expected. Enjoyed it, but think it's better at my age to steer clear of ghostly goings on.
It has a sort of inevitable ending.
on 13 September 2015
Another great book by a very under rated author. Jonathan Aycliffe always manages to create a sense of atmosphere and terror with every book.
on 31 December 2013
Enjoyable n creepy tale of mans quest to controll what we can not,new author for me though actually this was published awhile ago, enjoy
on 12 March 2014
Another great book by this author. None of hid books have disappointed me and this was no exception. Well w or t h reading
on 17 February 2014
Yes, this is a very enjoyable book and quite exciting. Kept me turning the pages and was sorry when it ended
on 24 January 2014
Scary. Not to be read at night, as I did to start with. Good tale. I will read more by this author
on 7 February 2015
A chilling modern-day gothic tale told in the classic style of M.R. James and Susan Hill.
on 24 September 2015
great atmospheric novel
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 23 October 2013
I've read Whispers in the Dark (many years ago now) and while I don't remember the book, I do recall enjoying it. However, I couldn't get to grips with The Matrix. I gave up at exactly 32% in on the Kindle. I think this was giving it a fair go, but I just found it exceptionally dull. It lacked tension, pace or atmosphere. Apart from hints of bad things to come, there was little to keep me reading, and what was there was very repetitive. There was a lot of looking for and reading books, a lot about learning Arabic, a lot of telling the reader about a dream the narrator had during the night - in fact, quite a lot of telling without showing. We're told how one of the characters could be 'wickedly funny' or how he showed 'not the slightest interest in me or my experiences'. My view is that a book is much more interesting if this is demonstrated in some way.

I kept on with the book, in the hope that the pace or story would pick up, but it didn't. Maybe it was about to, but I just grew too frustrated with the writing to wait and see.