Customer reviews

Accidental Ironman
Format: Paperback|Change

on 21 October 2014
One of the worst sporting books I have read; the author is arrogant, swears gratuitously thinking he is being funny and spends a great deal of time mocking others needlessly. There is nothing special within this book and I would suggest 'Can't Swim, Can't Bike, Can't Run' to readers of this genre instead; a likeable writer, who doesn't put others down for cheap laughs.
on 18 July 2017
Having read Martyn Brunt's 220 columns, I thought I knew a bit of what to expect - ceaseless slagging off your mates, chronic self-effacement, and laughs. And I got them in spades.

Anyone who can throw many choice Spike Milligan War Diary quotes into all that - winner!
on 5 March 2014
Before I start this review I have to confess that I am an old schoolfriend of Brunty's - and remembering his athletic prowess at school, or rather the utter lack thereof, I am astonished at the contents of this book. Though it has to be said that, given his sporting history, had he written a book relating how he once ran for a bus some time in the mid 90s, I would have been no less astonished.

"Accidental Ironman" is an account of our hero's transformation from lardy couch spud to sinewy international triathlete and the blood, sweat, tears and lashings of lager it took to make the journey. Competitors, friends, schoolteachers and Brunty himself are all subjected to the man's rapist, sorry I meant rapier, wit, which generally involves liberal use of Anglo-Saxon; and people like me, who find the concept of running a triathlon (or indeed, running to the end of the road) as appealing as rectal prolapse surgery without anaesthetic, will get some insight into why these nutters do what they do.

Those readers who don't know the writer personally might emerge from the book thinking he is obnoxious, foul-mouthed and misanthropic; and they'd be absolutely spot on. And as a fellow obnoxious, foul-mouthed misanthrope, I enjoyed it immensely. It hasn't inspired me to do a triathlon, but it has inspired me to write a book. Now I just need to achieve something.
on 11 November 2017
Anyone who has enjoyed Martin's column in 220 will love this book. Should be a "must read" for long suffering partners of triathletes if only to help justify the next "holiday" remarkably at the same time & in the same place as an Ironman.
on 17 October 2017
A fantastic read, this was recommended to me and having just completed my 1st IM much of it resonated with me! So compelling & laugh out loud funny I just couldn't put it down until I'd finished!!
on 11 April 2017
A laugh a minute. Any Ironman will laugh along with Martin's attempt to train for the next race, recognising the ridiculous extremes we all go to.
Between the numerous laughs I did actually pick up a couple of useful tips. Great book.
on 17 August 2017
Very funny and easy read, for anyone who loves triathlon it's a good read.
on 1 July 2017
The world of triathlons, written by an expert for he knows all the inside information. He mentions aspects all triathletes know but will never admit to, so many laughs I could retread this book many times!!
on 23 August 2017
"Knowing" the author (2 weeks "training") I would have been disappointed with a "straight laced" whitewash of his exploits/account.
on 20 June 2017
Never laughed so much. Read it twice. It is the perfect gift to any partner who wants to understand what their loved ones are going through