on 20 November 2014
If you had asked me a few years ago which one of Genesis was most likely to write a book it would not be Mike Rutherford!
Somehow this is a good book - its interesting, says a lot about Genesis and is also pretty honest about the things that went wrong in Genesis. I read the whole thing in a couple of days. Personally I would have liked to know morse about Steve Hackett and Peter Gabriel and great albums like Selling England By The Pound. Rutherford is a bit too in love with the pop Genesis of the eighties for my tastes. But if you are a big Genesis fan, you'll find a lot here to keep you interested.
on 10 November 2014
Considering he is describing 40-odd years of playing, it is a little short on detail, and to my mind, skirted over quite a lot. I am a Gabriel-period fan, and would have like to have had more detail on the making of those albums. He is exceedingly modest, particulary about his bass playing, which for me is crucial to the Genesis sound. It's all very interesting though, and can be ready in a few hours. Minor point of detail: the guy who played a double-neck guitar in Family was Charlie Whitney, not Rob Townsend. .
on 9 March 2014
Essential reading for those who follow Genesis and some interesting insights. I thought that by linking his memoirs with his father's may come over as sentimental slush but it presents a good honest account of his relationship with his father and the similarities between both lives.

One disagreement I would have with Mike is that I think Ray Wilson is actually a good songwriter but his style would not have suited the Banks-Rutherford combo.

A good read for the holiday
on 3 March 2014
Amusing and well written and an interesting approach compared with the usual autobiography. A good story to tell. Well worth reading.
on 18 March 2014
I thoroughly enjoyed reading the life of Mike, it is very enlightening and seems to live up to expectations. Good read
on 23 January 2014
Firstly Amazon sent me this book just before Christmas way before it's release date. Anyway this a must read for any Genesis fan.The early days were very interesting, I found out a lot of things i did not know about. There is one fact Mike got wrong. When Genesis played Knebworth in 1978 he mentioned that Talk Talk were heckled. Talk Talk did not play at Knebworth they played at the Milton Keynes concert in 1982. I think the band he meant was Devo who I remember got seriously canned by the crowd. Good job they were wearing their flowerpot helmets.
22 Comments| 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 31 January 2014
I was thrilled when I heard that this book was coming out -'The First Genesis Memoir' no less! But alas, it's proving to be a very lightweight read containing very little that any Genesis fan wouldn't already know; major events get reduced to one or two lines at times and the entire Calling All Stations/Collins reunion period is little more than a page at the back really. The book isn't terrible, but it's just so patchy, and I wasn't convinced by the constant referring back to Rutherford's father throughout.

The 'drugs' so tantalisingly mentioned in the description/advertising amount to Rutherford's apparent liking for a bit of dope and Collins' capacity for drink (I actually find myself now wishing that Phil writes an autobiography- I have a feeling that it would be a far more interesting read) and again, the whole Genesis career is skated around, skidded over and breezed through at a very surprising rate with very little detail. A lot of what is said is virtually verbatim to the many other books and interviews that any fan will already be familiar with. Many of the Genesis photos will be familiar to the fans too- another opportunity missed. Rutherford tells an amusing story about Tony Banks and mentions having an album full of photos taken at the time- why can't we see one then?!

That's not to say that there aren't a few new nuggets here and there, and any fan should definitely still own the book, but overall it's half the book it should/could be and it's just a shame...that's all.
on 30 April 2014
Well written, humorous and moving, this enjoyable book gives a great insight into Mike's exciting life and his time with Genesis and Mike & The Mechanics. It is no surprise that he has ended up as one of the wealthiest men in England and what I find so pleasing is that his family is the most important thing in his life.
on 4 December 2014
A good read and well written in my opinion. I like to read about the lives and back stage stuff of musicians I admire and this was a good example of that. The stories and stuff about his dad also help to make him more than "just a rock star". Well worth the money spent buying the book!
on 20 February 2014
Illuminating biography which highlights some personal details that were previously unknown to me. As a serious Genesis fan this was a wonderful read.