Customer reviews

Format: Hardcover|Change

on 16 July 2017
These letters are so brilliant, fun , poignant? Spelling? !!!
Laugh out loud in places, almost weep at times too, particularly the problems of old age & loss of good friends.Have read Dear Lupin, just as funny also the last book I gave my husband before he died, a bittersweet book.
on 6 June 2013
Enjoyed every minute of reading this book but was sad to reach the end. Would recommend to everybody with a sense of humour.
on 24 July 2014
So amusing and a joy to read such witty clever articulate letters from the author to his daughter
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 12 April 2013
(Review of a NewBooks magazine advance copy)

Throughtout her adolescent years at boarding school and on into her adult life, Louise (aka Lumpy)'s father, Roger Mortimer, writes to her with regular letters that she eventually, 20 years after his death, put together into a book.

This is a sequel to 'Dear Lupin', a similiar collection of letters written to Mortimer's son Charlie.

Not having read the 'Lupin' volume, I enjoyed very much his 'letters to a disobedient daughter'. Roger Mortimer is almost visible and in the room with you a lot of the time. He is eccentric, witty, and actually quite sensitive at times to the changes going on in his daughter's life. I particularly was impressed with his reaction to Louise marrying her boyfriend in secret and not telling them until near the date of their planned 'wedding'.

The selling points of the book are the humour, which leaps off of every page, and also the insight you get into the lives of some rather quite rich people who, though quite humble about it, are privileged, meet other rich people often, have a fair amount of leisure time and are also what one might term "'completely batty'!

There is a lot about the family dogs contained here too, a little too much for my liking. And also a lot of what, in some families, might be confused as insults, but in Lumpy's family, is clear that such remarks are intended as loving and light-hearted:
"I hope you are big and well and looking, as usual, like a plump Dutch cheese".

Roger's affection for Louise is clear, his style of writing charming, stream-of-consciousness crazy but loveable, and the book a very entertaining few hours revelry in nonsense and sense alike.
on 12 April 2013
I absolutely loved Dear Lupin and now thank goodness Dear Lumpy has been published. The book arrived on Tuesday and I have spent three marvellous days enjoying every letter. The last reviewer said everything. I know that I will dip in and out of it again as I have done with Dear Lupin over the year.
on 9 August 2013
I read 'Dear Lupin' and enjoyed it so got 'Dear Lumpy' when it came out and felt the same.They are both a very quick read but I just love the way John Mortimer writes and when I finished both books I came away wanting more! I would have loved to have received letters like that and sadly its happening less and less with our internet lives.
on 21 August 2013
This made a great father's day present from a daughter who hopes she has grown out of the lumpy phase?
Dad said it was an easy, amusing and heartfelt read - and he's a great reader so very well received.
on 23 July 2013
This is a very easy read about an unusual family and a close relationship between a daughter and her father. Great if you don't have much time for reading as it can be put down and picked up again a week later without losing any of the enjoyment. I shall be reading Dear Lupin next.
on 30 July 2013
Quite similar to 'Dear Lupin' which I read earlier but made me wish that my relationship with my own father had been closer. Don't think he ever wrote me a letter or called me on the phone!
on 22 January 2014
I loved the first book (Dear Lupin- letters to a wayward son) and am so pleased that "Lumpy" chose to do the same with her letters. Their father had a lovely turn of phrase, and it is wonderful that they had an ongoing relationship with him. Usually it is mum who maintains the contact - if you phone home and dad answers he says "I'll get your mum".

He obviously cared very deeply for his children, and used humour to maintain contact with them and try to guide them - rather than just being judgemental and disapproving, Getting older doesn't necessarily mean vegitating - he and his wife seemed to have a better social life than their children!

This is a book that can be read over and over again, and certainly will be by me.