Format: Hardcover|Change

on 25 March 2017
Very readable and hilarious in parts.
on 26 April 2014
If the press is to be believed, big if, there is disagreement in the family over the best way to have presented their father's letters. My view, for what it's worth, is that it all panned out nicely. The Lupin and Lumpy books introduced me to Roger's wit and wisdom in an easily digested fashion. I may initially have been put off by a more comprehensive work. And then Jane's book came along at just the right time for those who were then interested in finding out more about Roger's life. All excellent, thank you.
on 19 June 2014
Sadly the last book in the series, this book is set out slightly differently with chapters about people pets events etc, which ties in beautifully with the previous books from Charles and Louise
Totally heartwarming family history, a wonderful tribute to their dad and what an amazing opportunity for them to revisit these letters and memories
on 8 April 2014
This is a lovely book, but I wish it would have been the first book as it has lots of background information which is very helpful and makes me wish to read the previous two books again in light of context new to me. Some of the context is a little unnecessary, for example I believe that most readers will be aware that Margaret Thatcher was the first woman Prime Minister.

The first two books one feels that one becomes immersed in listening to the voice of Roger Mortimer, approaching this book with the same expectation it felt like like Roger was being interrupted and the structure of the book by topic instead of chronological order felt like it was stretching lovely material into unintended positions.

In short, a lovely book, well worth a read. In my opinion it is trying too hard to be different from the first two books and there was no need, approach it with the expectation that it will be different.
on 5 April 2014
If you've read Dear Lupin & Dear Lumpy this book will add to your enjoyment of the father's correspondence to his offspring. This time you get an insight into the man behind the hilarious letters! However even if you haven't read the previous books it's a great read! I only wish there was more to come!
I bought this book having read Dear Lupin by Jane Torday's brother, Charlie Mortimer. Both books draw heavily on their father Roger's letters to his children. While I loved Dear Lupin, I found Dearest Jane rather pedestrian at times. Jane has provided much more family background and biographical details of her father and personally I did not find this particularly interesting. Her brother Charlie's book lets the letters stand largely on their own, and this is what gives Charlie's book it's time. Jane Torday book gives me the impression of having far too much padding in it and while some of it is interesting, why would a reader want so much information about her family and their lives?

I feel that Dear Lupin could become a modern comedy classic - along with such books as Diary of a Nobody, Three Men in a Boat etc. Jane's book lacks the sheer concentrated sparkle of her brother's book and I regret will come in as an also ran. Note to budding authors - be original, not derivative.
on 15 June 2014
Enjoyed all three books immensely. Funniest book I have ever read (Dear Lupin). Pity Roger and Nidnod didn't have more children----------more books!!!!!!!!
on 6 April 2014
Great for horse racing enthusiasts, difficult to follow time wise in years,Last 80% sign off,apart from superb photos of family
on 19 September 2014
More letters in the "Dear Lupin" style. Fun to read, although I remain undecided as to whether the explanations and additions provided by Roger Mortimer's daughter enhance this collection or detract from it. "Dear Lupin" would have benefited from extra information, and I did enjoy some of Jane Torday's descriptions, particularly her account of life around the mulberry bush. On the other hand, the name dropping was less welcome, and if a writer of her calibre produces a grammatical howler like "between my father and I" (sic!) what hope is there for grammatically correct English? Her father would have been as horrified as I am.
on 10 May 2014
I pre ordered this book back in Sept 2013 as I had read the other books by the two other siblings and thoroughly enjoyed them.What I liked about this book is that Jane gives a more rounded picture of her father.She tells us the background of his life.Roger in his letters to her are both funny and sometimes sad but the letters show the love he felt for his family.You are left with a feeling that with emails being the norm that the art of letter writing is being lost and we are the worst off for it.

Really enjoyed and would recommend.