Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Fitbit

Customer reviews

very good
on 15 May 2017
great
on 21 June 2017
Feckless Hamish solves the murder again!
on 13 October 2015
Good
on 16 June 2017
Very good
on 28 June 2017
The characterisation in this book is much better than in a lot of M C Beaton's work.

Its people had multiple complex layers of troubled or dark pasts, differing public and private personas, secrets and selective honesty. It made for some great twists in the reader's perceptions of them and their situations. Their well drawn and well drawn out back stories lent the book more substance than I've come to expect from the author.

However, I've held back from a four star rating because the killer was too obvious from a process of logistical elimination.

I also don't like the progressively darker tone of the series with drugs, prostitution and mutilation rearing their ugly heads here. I just hope M C Beaton sees that the book's strong character and plot development - plus a bit of tightening up the whodunnit suspense - is the way forward!
on 28 February 2006
Two artists have come to live in Lochdubh, first Effie Garrard, then genial Jock Fleming. Effie develops a crush on Jock, but he does not return her feelings. Then Effie is found dead, apparently by suicide, but Hamish suspects foul play. As usual, as well as solving the murder, Hamish has to struggle with his complicated love life, various women from his past keep popping up, and a few new ones as well.
This was quite an entertaining story, but it seemed a bit tired to me. The attractive man who arrives to create havoc in the village is a line that has been used before, and there are far too many lovesick women in the book, all of them rather pathetic, I found them getting on my nerves.
Worth reading if you are a Macbeth fan, but definitely not one of the best of the series.
on 19 May 2012
Hamish MacBeth books may not set the literary world alight but they are easy, quick books to read - ideal when you are busy or have problems on your mind. I personally like the Hamish character very much - and - unlike more 'high brow' who dun its - I think these books actually challenge you far more to pit your wits and work out who did indeed do it - there are so many wonderful twists and turns. Sadly on this occasion I was wrong! I find Hamish's love life most amusing and only hope he doesn't settle down because I have to say its been the 'death' of a number of other detectives. Once saddled with a wife they seem to get exceptionally boring!!! I have logged on now to buy the next in the series to take on holiday with me. I am a bit tempted to read the early Hamish MacBeth books but at the moment I am steeling myself to only go onwards.....