Format: Paperback|Change

on 28 October 2013
Just to let readers know, this is a retitled novel, the original title of which was The Book of Shadows. If you've read it, don't buy this thinking it's a new title!

When I read this as The Book of Shadows I didn't even finish it, it's well written enough, but I found the Tegan character so annoying, and Elizabeth just a bore.
on 12 April 2013
What a fantastic idea and Bess as a mortal is a brilliant and deep character.
The story itself led to boredom and a little repetitive. It would have served better for it to be split into three books with more details and action than the chapters of hasty writing to get to a point we all knew was coming.
on 10 July 2015
I listened to this book via audible and I still can't quite make up my mind whether I liked it or not.

There didn't seem to be much depth to the story or characters, no real action. It was a great concept but I felt that the author could have made more of the story. Given more depth and action. Instead it was just looking at the surface. Who was Gideon, where did he come from, why was he so obsessed by Bess? Who was Bess? Why was she the one Gideon chose? How did she become immortal? What motivated her? What witchcraft did she learn at the hands of Gideon? How did she learn to become stronger? Every time Gideon encountered Bess there was a chance for some real action to take place but each time it was a short encounter and then Bess disappeared and a new chapter in her life began.
This is not my usual fare, but I was attracted by the cover and thought "why not?"

It is a strange tale indeed spanning centuries in the life of Elizabeth/Bess/Eliza/Elise: as a young girl she had lived through plague and rural poverty in 17th century England when superstition and the King James's dread of the supernatural meant that wise women and healers were desperately at risk in bad times when scapegoats for the natural ills of the world were sought. Elizabeth's mother is just such a woman and having survived the plague is denounced by her neighbours to a witchfinder and pays the ultimate price. However, before she dies she reveals the pact she has made to protect her daughter from the same fate, and thus begins the young woman's journey through the centuries, fleeing the warlock who created her and who sees her as his personal property.

A number of our witchy heroine's past experiences in varying time zones show how deadly the warlock's pursuit is and how her own increasing powers can be a force for healing and good if used as she sees fit. In the present, she finds a rural backwater and a cottage where she hopes to find peace making organic lotions and potions. She meets a young girl, Tegan, with whom she has an immediate connection and to whom she tells her troubled life story. Tegan has witchy potential and as always, Gideon, the shapeshifting warlock is not far behind. A showdown in the making.

I enjoyed the book, which I understand is part of a witch based chronicle: however, this one was enough for me. It has its moments, but I don't think I will read any of the others. However, if this genre is for you, then this author will satisfy.
on 13 September 2014
I found this book a bit hard going in places but persevered and in the end quite enjoyed it. Elizabeth's protege was a bit immature to be believable so those were the parts of the book I struggled with. All in all a good read though if you stick with it; really enjoyed Elizabeth's story through the ages.
on 18 April 2016
As this was book 2 in the series I expected some relationship to the characters in the first book. However, the only relationship I could find was they were both about witches.

Apart from that,the book was an enjoyable read. I would have given it one or two stars had I stopped reading about half way through when Bess caught Gideon doing Satanic acts and implying the false stereotype that all witches are Satanists, but the rest of the book redeemed itself.

I was touched by Bess's longing for a lasting love relationship. Her interaction with Tegan was well thought out and highly plausible under the circumstances. It will be interesting to discover whether the next book follows on from the first or second or is a completely new cast of characters.
on 6 November 2015
I really enjoyed this book.ot was quite different to my usual choice. I particularly liked the passing of time and the bringing in of jack the ripper. Which happens to be one of my very favourite subjects. Can't wait to start the second novel. In fact I loved the book!
on 9 January 2014
A real page-turner which moves seamlessly between past and present. Creepy thrills galore, convincing characters and well researched period detail. The structure - tales within tales - works really well and contributes to the suspense and unease. I'd recommend this to anyone of any age from teens up. It's better written than most novels in the genre and has very sad moments - is quite grim at times - but if you enjoyed Twilight you'll love it.
on 15 September 2014
I really enjoyed reading this book. It was a bit differently written from a lot of other books I've read but I loved the author's style. The stories within the main story worked extremely well. I couldn't put it down, it kept me on the edge of my seat. The book really took me there! The characters were portrayed brilliantly. I loved it. Will read more from this author.
on 27 February 2014
Would you like to be IMMORTAL? This story follows the lives of a witch who is given immortality by an evil warlock, who pursues her through time. I believe this would have been a brilliant book if the author had spent more time on the different lives of Elizabeth and ignored the present day plot. It is a good book but it could have been brilliant, it just fell short somehow.