Customer reviews

The Isobel Journal: Just A Northern Girl From Where Nothing Really Happens
Format: Paperback|Change

on 4 October 2016
Really unusual book, love it.
on 27 March 2014
Lovely sketches and I'm sure young people will identify with the feelings and emotions expressed in this book. Nice humorous touches too.
on 11 December 2013
Very insightful writing, in bite-sized chunks, poignant and sounds just like my daughter. I bought it for my 11yr old and read it first. Most of it sounded like she had written it, and in a few years, she will be writing the rest in a similar way as she encounters more of life's difficulties. Love the illustrations too, which add to the teenage joys and angst played out in the text. I would highly recommend this for pre-teen and early teens. Lots to be learned in an non patronising way.
3 people found this helpful
on 10 July 2014
I have two words to describe this book RANDOM and BRILLIANT. In this book/graphic novel we see the inner musings of a relatable 18 year old girl named Isobel. We get to see fun snippets of her life set out in a scrapbook/ doodling type of style. We see insights into her family life and her thoughts on love and friends, with some fun little tips and facts thrown in , I have to admit, I did find myself giggling at times reading this quirky graphic novel.

As a teenager myself, I felt I could relate with Isobel so much. . . She seemed like she would be a real crazy fun person to be friends with, we would be like two peas in a pod. I really felt that she understood what us teenagers really think and feel, and managed to portray it in a relatable kooky style.

I don't really know how to explain this book, its mostly pictures with a little bit of text mixed in (it was a real mishmash of things) . She had parts dedicated to family, friends, love and breakups.

The illustrations were really unlike anything I had seen before, they were scratchy and rough, making them look like she really drew them herself. This book was really refreshing , it’s truly unlike anything I've ever read before. . .It was really really quick, it probably took me around 30 minuets to finish, I do wish it was a little longer. I defiantly recommend that you give this book a chance, I can see myself picking this book back up in the future to have a quick flick through.

I can really see my friends and even family enjoying this book, everyone can relate to being a confused teenager just getting to grips with adulthood.

*Received from Net Galley in exchange for an honest review*
on 8 December 2014
This book uses an interesting device and one that I wouldn't mind seeing used again. Isobel presents here the ordinary memoirs of a teenager, her feelings, dreams, private moments and silliness in the form of not just a journal but an art journal or a freestyle scrapbook. There is more art than text and I think the pictures say more than the words do, but together they are an intriguing look inside the mind/life of an ordinary teenager (and British at that). There is no plot, life seldom has one. If you enjoy reading other people's journals, diaries, etc. you may enjoy a peek inside Isobel's art journal.
on 6 August 2014
A gloriously random stroll through the thoughts and preoccupations of a teenage girl. An excellent gift for any teens that you know as it illuminates the highs and lows of life in a way that most teens will be able to identify with. The illustrations are witty and heartfelt and are drawn with a sassy immediacy and honesty. This is a seriously talented young writer who I feel sure we will be hearing much more from in the future.
on 11 November 2013
The Isobel Journal is a brilliant, visual book written by eighteen-year-old Isobel Harrop. It's an illustrated scrapbook of teenage life, inspired by Peanuts comics and 1960s design (as the author info at the back of the book states). Included are numerous drawings, photos and ticket stubs interspersed with text and thoughts.

Isobel's journal is full of all the usual teenage stuff, ranging from family to heartbreak college. It's surprisingly witty and thought-provoking, more so that I was expecting from a book like this. I've been through it again since initially reading it the first time, and there's some truly good advice dotted about. There's also a section dedicated to fat, hairy baby animals (lots of otters) and a reference to the Girls in Love TV show. I'd all but forgotten Ellie and Russel but now I have a sudden urge to re-read and re-watch it!

The Isobel Journal ended up being a lot better than I thought it would be, with more feelings, advice and an excellent style of art. It reminded me of Laura Dockrill's book, Darcy Burdock, which shares a quirkiness not seen too often in fiction these days. I'm sure this book took a ridiculous amount of time to produce, but the result is well worth it - it looks stylish and different and stands out in a crowded market. Very entertaining.
on 25 November 2013
I'm kinda stuck on what to say in my review as the blurb already describes The Isobel Journal so perfectly: charming, vivid, creative, witty, honest, enchanting and poignant. What could I add to that?

Let me try at least;

I'll start by saying that The Isobel Journey is a beautiful book, both outside and in. It's the type of book you want to display so people ask you about it and then are impressed by your coolness for having it. It's so entertaining to read and I keep finding myself going back checking through a few pages, putting it down and coming back again.

Actually if it wasn't absolute sacrilege I'd be so tempted to dismantle the book so I could hang a bunch of these up (I won't I promise!)

The Isobel Journey will find a happy home with anyone who appreciates the genius of being quirky.
on 13 February 2014
The Isobel Journal is a book filled with drawings, captions and photographs by Isobel Harrop, to illustrate her life. I'd never read this kind of journal-style book before, and wasn't sure what to expect. It's a style of book that I loved and will search for more of in the future. I was reading it when I was in exam mocks period, and it thoroughly cheered me up and made me forget all the stresses I had going on! There is something about this book that is so endearing and I've re-read it many times since my first read. Harrop's voice is one that any teenager can relate to and enjoy. It's the kind of book where you can sit down, get comfy, and drink a cup of tea whilst looking at the pretty pictures and funny writing.
The pictures are in the style of a scarp-book drawn by Isobel Harrop with observations about daily life and random comments. I found it so interesting to read about another teenager in this kind of format. It was quirky, refreshing and such fun to read through!
I really loved stepping outside my usual fiction reads and sitting down with this one!
on 13 March 2014
This is a book that I need in my life. I don't just mean I need to have the digital copy I got for review from Netgalley which is what I'm reviewing right now. I mean I need to go out and buy an actual physical copy for my shelves, and here's why.
I adored this book from cover to cover. The art style is fantastic. I loved the mix of photography and illustrations. It was truly wonderful.
I loved the story that went along with these illustrations. I found myself smiling and laughing at a lot of points. Also, I found a lot of this really relatable as well. For instance, I to love stripes, and I love otters.
This is a really quick read, but it didn't in any way feel as if it was lacking anything. There was a fantastic style to this book. I'm honestly buzzing from reading it.
It's the kind of book that you can easily go back to again and again and it just makes you smile and feel happy. I'm so thrilled I got the chance to review this, and honestly, I do think this is something I'd buy in physical copy.
I highly recommend it, no seriously, you should go out and get it. It's fantastic.