Learn more Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Fitbit

Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 25 April 2017
A gripping yarn which never gets dull for a moment. A cast of wonderful, memorable characters inhabit the dark and sinister world of London Below....Gaiman is a splendid storyteller, and his imagination is dark and complex and clever. I read The Graveyard Book with my 10 year old, and we both enjoyed it so much that I followed up with this one. My only very slight criticism is that some of the characters could be more fully developed. Its a visual imagination feast, begging to be a film...but the characters leave me slightly unsatisfied.
This kindle edition is the definitive text, which like me if you do still have for instance the first edition that came out when this was first published, you will notice some differences. Although originally conceived as a TV series Neil Gaiman wanted to write a novel of it where he could expand upon certain themes and add pieces that were cut from the television series.

So welcome to London Below, a place under London teeming with life, and with some quite noticeable differences. When Richard Mayhew walks down the road one night with his fiancée, Jessica so he tries to give aid to a girl who seems distressed – thus starting him off on an adventure that he will never forget, and one that could change his life. The girl is called Door, and her family being killed and herself in danger she needs assistance to find out what is going on.

With a host of unforgettable characters we have the rather nasty but somehow quite enjoyable Mr Croup and Mr Vandemar, along with an earl’s court held in an Underground train carriage, as well as an old man called Old Bailey, an angel called Islington, and the Marquis de Carabas to name a few. Some people can talk to rats and it is best not to ask what meat it is in meals when you buy them off a stall.

Gaiman wanted to create something like ‘Alice in Wonderland’ for a more mature audience, and it can be argued that not only has he done that with this but also he created a world that is something that you really want to visit, especially if you can have a look around the Floating Market. I must admit that I am not a massive fan of Neil Gaiman, but this is one of those books of his that I always enjoy reading.
on 3 March 2017
What an absolute gem of a read, the other London, amazing imagery; you can smell and taste the descriptions. Interesting characters and loyalty tested to the full. Neil Gaiman is now on my favourite authors list.
on 20 May 2017
Oh Neil Gaiman, what wouldn't I give to have an imagination as brilliant as yours? This book is beyond clever it is totally captivating. It has everything - goodies, baddies, cliff-hangers, moments of fear and moments of sheer delight ... and for anyone familiar with London place names, it gives your imagination wings. Suddenly Blackfriars and The Angel Islington have entirely new meanings!
on 19 May 2017
Colourful, original, superbly entertaining fantasy about an undetworld of fantasy creatures under the London we all see and know. I was taken by surprise by this book having read bad omens as a boy and not liking it one bit. I would recommend this to anyone with a co!ourful imagination. 5 stars.
on 19 September 2016
I have been an admirer of Gaiman since reading American Gods and Never where didn't disappoint. I go out into the streets of London checking the cracks for little people. What an imagination to device a completely new world that exists beneath the feeds of Londeners try the novel an be drawn into an imaginary world the you will become to believe exists.
on 25 May 2017
Probably my favorite book from Mr Gaiman. I have read and re-read it over the years and it never fails to make me look deep in the shadows and the dark corners of London, expecting to see a fantastical parallel world living next to ours. Your ordinary, every day life as a londoner takes a completely different twist. And remember: Mind the Gap.
on 18 June 2017
One of the most astounding books that I have ever read. London place names will never be the same again! Gaiman's exquisite descriptions combine with his unique humour to create this masterpiece.
on 7 March 2017
Neil Gaiman's gift is to turn the conventional world in an odd direction and show you the hidden underside with all its strangeness and wonder, darkness and horror. It follows passive Everyman Richard through a quest through the cryptic society of Under London and the friendships and betrayals that change him permanently. A great read in the tradition of Fowler's Roofworld or Mike Shevdon's Sixty One Nails, and a world I would love to return to!
on 5 March 2017
I loved this book, though gruesome in places I couldn't put it down. The baddies were really bad. The goodies, well they were fascinating characters. I would love to go to the floating market and I totally understand the decision Richard made.