Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 21 December 2013
I have been in love with Dorothy Koomson's books for AGES. She's one of my auto-buy authors. I just have to pre-order them automatically. I have had this book since it came out, and I've finally got around to reading it. With each book Dorothy publishes I think that it's the best yet, but I truly believe The Flavours of Love IS her best yet. (Just watch me say that with her next book too ;) )

Saffron Mackleroy's husband was murdered 18 months ago and since then Saffron has been trying to finish the cookbook Joel was working on. The Flavours of Love. Everybody thinks that Saffron is coping really well, but in reality, she's struggling. Her 14 year old daughter confesses something which rocks her family and her husband's killer is contacting Saffron, claiming she's innocent.

Like many others, I was taken in by the cover, thinking that this book would be a sweet, romantic, perhaps tragic in places read. When reading the description and getting into the story, you realise it's much deeper and darker. Something that I absolutely love from Dorothy's writing.

As usual with Dorothy's books, the novel is brilliantly written. I was gripped from the first sentence, all the way through. It's a tense read but also emotional. I really felt for our protagonist Saffron, and I was completely freaked out by Saffron's husband's killer. The letters were so creepy. Saffron as a character is easy to fall in love with. I felt for her immediately. She's been through so much and is struggling to keep her family together and do the job of two parents. I thought her children were brilliant characters as well. I felt so much compassion for them.

I don't always like when books move about in time, but Dorothy controls this brilliantly in The Flavours of Love. It flows really naturally and it's easy to understand where you are in the story. The letters really add something to the story. I was completely taken in by them. I wanted to know who Joel's killer was and whether she was going to catch up with Saffron and her family. It was an incredibly tense plot.

The book would be brilliant just with the things I've mentioned, but no, of course Dorothy Koomson has to prove what an amazing writer she is and add more depth to the story. There are so many other issues explored, yet it never feels unbelievable or like there's too much going on. There are family problems, grief and eating disorders expertly and effortlessly weaved into the plot.

I was completely engrossed and captivated by this story. I read it so quickly, wishing I didn't, because I wanted to savour every moment of it. I can't rave about this book enough. It's one of my favourite reads of 2013, for sure, and I've read a lot this year!
on 8 June 2017
Eighteen months ago, Saffron Mackleroy's husband was stabbed by a killer that is still walking free leaving behind her and their two children. However, just as life starts to get back under control, events happen the causes the control to evaporate. Aunt Betty moves in due to being kicked out of her residential home after getting caught being intimate with a fellow resident on the manager's desk, her fourteen year old daughter has a revelation that will have Saffron second guessing everything she ever thought and as if all that wasn't enough, her husband's killer has started writing to her every day with content that terrifies Saffron.

This was my first adventure into Dorothy Koomson's writing but several of my friends had suggested some of her works and I am glad that I listened to the recommendation. Without giving away too much of the plot because it's one of those stories you just have to read, I applaud Koomson for how full she managed to make this novel. There are twists and turns at every corner, it's full to the brim with amazing characters and she has enough sub-plots that there is no opportunity for the reader to become bored with “The Flavours of Love”. Only one of the plots irritated me at the time and that was Saffron's bulimia. It seemed to come out of nowhere several chapters into the books so I found myself wondering if it was an afterthought but now I have re-read the blurb I can see that Koomson fully intended for Saffron to have that secret so it was probably just me.

The highlight of this novel was the layout of the chapters. It was apparent that the epicentre of the novel was the day that Saffron lost her husband Joel and Saffron had dubbed it as That Day. So each chapter would inform you of how many days, weeks, months, or years before or after That Day did the action happen. For example, the first chapter that uses it is “16 years before That Day”. Koomson cleverly uses the flashback technique to show us Saffron's life with Joel so that he is real to us and we can imagine the pain that Saffron is going through knowing that his killer is still out of there.

“The Flavours of Love” may have been my first Dorothy Koomson novel but it definitely will not be my last.
on 19 June 2017
Yet another fantastic book by Dorothy Koomson, great story and really does bring the characters to life. Love all of her books as they are easy to read but grip you from the start
on 2 March 2014
I really enjoyed this. I'm a big fan of Dorothy Koomson, and always look out for her new releases. The last couple I haven't enjoyed as much as her earlier work, but I felt this was most definitely a return to earlier form. The characters were likeable and you could really identify with them. Just a shame I bought it as an e-book, as I would loved to have lent this to my Mum!
on 7 May 2017
Great read hard to put down! Koomson really does know how to weave a story! A great author that keeps you guessing!
on 3 December 2016
This is another page turning book never quite know what will happen next, beautifully and sensitively written
I can't wait to read another of Dorothy. Books
on 18 June 2017
A well-written story which held my interest all the way through. The problems encountered by the main characters were all believable and had been well-researched. Dorothy Koomson is fast becoming one of my favourite authors. Most enjoyable.
on 13 July 2017
Just finished this book and it has kept me interested from the beginning to the end. I found it very moving.
on 6 June 2017
Such a good read. Standard as usual excellent. Love her books. Didn't see the twust at the end.
on 20 June 2017