Customer reviews

You Don't Know Me, But . . .: A Footballer's Life
Format: Hardcover|Change

on 19 June 2014
This book perpetuates the stereotype of crazy immature footballers who can't grow up. I was staggered how this so-called intelligent guy could screw his life up on so many fronts. The fact that after earning 500k pa for a couple od seasons in his big years - he was left with no money in his pockets at times - is scary. If this is how the clever ones cope - what about the others? He's a likeable guy though and good to see he has landed his co commentator job on ITV, Have to say, having heard him this week in that role, he is excellent - as good as any I have ever heard - and I've heard a lot. Well done Clarke.
on 7 October 2013
Having watched Clark Carlisle play at QPR and Leeds, and having seen his various TV appearances, I knew that he was an intelligent person as well as a talented footballer.
Having read this I have more respect for him than ever.
To bare his soul like he does, whilst admitting to be less than a perfect human being, deserves much credit. It also made me slightly change my opinion about professional footballers, particularly as they come to the end of their career.
This, together with 'I am the Secret Footballer' should be essential reading for anyone with an interest in the game!
on 20 October 2013
I remember standing as a primary school kid in the east paddock at Bloomfield Road watching Clarke Carlise score his first ever goal for Blackpool and thinking how amazing it was for someone so young was playing for my team....

It's refreshing to read such a brutally honest account of life as a footballer. Maybe it's the fact that I truly aspired to emulate him when I was about 10 but it really hit home that the perception that all footballers live life on easy street couldn't be further from the truth.
on 15 October 2013
I bought this book as I am a Northampton Town fan. Whilst that may make me slightly biased as this book contains quite a bit on his last season with us, I would recommend this book to all football fans. Clarke offers an in-depth look at how injury and depression can blight a footballers career at whatever stage it may be in. Something which other reviewers have missed out on is Clarke's opinions on fans, he offers a good insight to how abuse from the crowd can affect a player and has made me re-think some of the things I may shout out at a game. I also enjoyed reading about the antics of professional footballers! It is well written and isn't heavy going. A good read for football fans.

If you enjoyed this then I also recommend Leon McKenzie's my fight with life - another ex-cobbler who offers a look in to his career and his fight with depression.

My Fight with Life
on 15 December 2013
A good honest account of Clarke carlisles life. Was interested in this book as a burnley fan and Clarke having played for burnley. Had no idea of his problems when he played for the clarets and it will really help highlight the problems young people have with depression. Well done for being so honest!
on 2 January 2014
I got this as a gift and did not look forward to reading it as I am not the worlds biggest fan of football. However it was well written and I took a lot away from it. I would recommend this to non football fans as it does not base itself wholly on the game. An interesting read.
on 15 October 2013
This year's Garry Nelson. I started this kindle book on the plane down to Melbourne this morning and almost finished it on the way back to Brisbane tonight but needed 20 mins before bed. Honest, funny and heartwarming. Clarke Carlisle will go on to greater things I think.
on 2 November 2013
This is not about the glamourous side of football but about the harsh reality of trying to make it in the beautiful game. The story of Clarke's last season with flashbacks to the earlier days of his career is told with brutal honesty. Great book.
on 6 October 2013
This is a great book that opens the world of a professional footballer his trials, tribulations and hopes. When we sit on the terraces we rarely think of the person behind the squad number. I will now. Good Luck for the future.
on 20 July 2014
I love reading autobiographies but only ones that are honest and not afraid to 'bare all'. This ticked all those boxes and was a great read. I also know a book has captured my interest when I sneak time to read it! This is a really interesting insight into life as a footballer and an honest account of the challenges faced. My only reason for not giving another star is because sometimes it wasn't easy to keep up with what club you were at and switched back and forth a bit. Nonetheless, if this is a first writing attempt then 'wow' I think you should consider the written word as a career Mr Carlisle! Really good autobiographical read. Looking forward to the next one...