on 8 June 2017
As part of the Robbery Homicide team, Detective Robert Hunter is called by his rookie partner, Carlos Garcia, to a horrifying crime scene in the middle of nowhere. Hunter is used to nasty, it’s the job description, but the sight of the poor woman skinned alive on a bed in front of a mirror is even enough to turn his stomach. However, nothing is as mortifying as the signature carved on to the back of the victim’s neck... a double ended crucifix. The signature used by a serial killer that Hunter had already caught, a serial killer that had confessed to all the crimes and had been executed; a serial killer that Hunter had never really believed was guilty. The Crucifix Killer is back.

It’s not a big secret that I absolutely love the grittiness that is the world of crime but eventually the novels tend to all become a blur. The same procedural formula is used time and time again - which is not a bad thing as crime fiction is the biggest selling genre in the world. However, Chris Carter has shook things up with his debut novel “The Crucific Killer”. The first scene is a flash forward where we see Garcia - the rookie partner - is caught in one of the killer’s traps and Hunter only has so long to save not only Garcia’s life but his own too. It draws you in perfectly. From the first chapter, I was on the edge of my seat and determined to finish the book just so I could know who the killer was!

Using his experiences as a criminal psychologist, Carter has managed to create three dimensional characters as well as a fluid plot with just the right amount of twists and turns to keep the audience guessing. Hunter is your typical flawed but genius detective. He graduated school years earlier than he should, his paper from college is a textbook that all new FBI agents must read as a set text and he just knows everything - because he reads a lot. However, he is flawed due to his dependency on alcohol. Despite it being trademark characteristics for a fictional detective, I adore Robert Hunter and can not wait for more of his cases with Garcia.

My copy of Crucifix Killer has been read that much - from me rereading and me sharing it out amongst my family and friends - I’m on the second copy and I’ve just downloaded it on my kindle. The Crucific Killer is one of my favourite novels, and I happily re-read the series every time Carter releases a new novel so I hope you enjoy it just a fraction as much as I do
on 29 June 2016
Wow, what a book, I feel as though I have been in a spin dryer, this is the first one I have read from Chris Carter and definitely won't be the last, one of the best thrillers I have read in a long time.

Overall it was a brilliant read which I couldn't put down and it had me hooked from the beginning. I found all the characters interesting and I would never have guessed the ending.

Another series added to my list, well done Chris Carter and I look forward to reading 'The Executioner' which is already waiting for me on my Kindle.

The only thing left to say is please don't take any notice of the the negative reviews on here, I know we don't all like the same sort of books but in my opinion some of the comments are unjustified. Try it for yourself you will not be disappointed.
on 16 October 2016
I have read Chris Carter’s books in the wrong order. This is something I would really rather not do. However Chris Carter is a genius, in terms of the horror he creates and the way he builds up humanity with the poor murder victims. I had no choice. I started with An Evil Mind and I am Death. I am now back to beginning to the very first story, The Crucifix Killer.

This is very much a debut novel. We are introduced to the great Robert Hunter and his methods. Hunter is an expert in psychology, who is working within the police and tackling the really horrific crimes on his patch. He was a child genius. You know the sort; a real clever clogs, with letters to his name. He is a nice chap though. He is joined by a new sidekick, Garcia. A man has been executed via the death penalty and it looks like they got the wrong culprit. Identical macabre crimes are being committed once again. The Crucifix Killer has returned. Will Hunter get to the truth this time?

Although I guessed the identity of the killer fairly easily, I loved it. I do read A LOT of crime, which makes me a Miss Marple in the making. I am very easily suspicious of characters who behave in ‘certain’ ways. I am being deliberately cryptic here. I don’t want to give the game away. The gore level is high, brutal and sickening. At one point, my stomach was in my mouth. Chris Carter does that so well. I could picture it all. Sometimes my imagination needs to be less graphic.

This is great, really GREAT! Well worth a read, if you haven’t encountered Chris Carter yet.
on 9 March 2017
this series was recommended by a friend to me and i was so glad to read it,this is the start of robert hunter series which i enjoyed and really cant wait to start book 2.
i love Robert hunter and Garcia characters,how they work well together and how they got along with each other.
this book had be on the edge of my seat trying to work out who was killing people and why they was doing it,some parts had me thinking and some parts had me in shock horror.For me this book has you in suspense and i love this about the story as it always a me thinking about it
on 28 April 2015
This is the first Chris Carter novel I've read & I have to say it was worth the read. It had me hooked from the beginning and I didn't want to put it down.

I read some of the reviews, tried a sample and decided I had to read more. Ok it's another detective chasing down a serial killer but the things the killer does to the victims is somewhat evil and the author describes the details in great depth. You soon understand how frustrating the detectives get at no evidence being left behind for them to get a good lead on who could do such heinous things to another human and is one sick individual. You really are left hanging until the end on who the killer is. I'm looking forward to reading my next novel by this author.
on 3 August 2015
I enjoyed this book, the main character Robert Hunter seems an interesting character, and a little different from the usual police detective,I liked the developing working relationship between him and his new partner.I also liked the pace of the book.The killer was chilling and I had no clue who it was even getting towards the end of the book,I certainly didn't manage to work it out,and I like that. Good entertaining read, pretty gory in places but that is to be expected,I think the title alone prepares you for that.I would read more in this series, good book.
on 10 April 2017
This is the first time that I have read any books from this author, and bearing in mind it's the first book in the Robert Hunter series. I loved, there was more story and less dribble, meaning he goes from the police station to the under sight without having to read four pages about the park he's driving past.
on 1 April 2017
This is my first Chris Carter book and on the strength of this I bought this rest of this series.
The story is excellent and moves along at a rapid pace.
I must admit I never expected the ending and hope the rest of the books are as good.
on 8 April 2015
Awesome, awesome, awesome story. I found this book on a kindle deal offer after recently reading all the Paul Finch Heckenberg detective mysteries and a couple of great ones by Jeff Gunhus. This matches those excellent authors' stories in intensity, excitement, great characterisation and fantastic exciting plot with twists and turns. This was the first book by Chris that I bought (a good offer on Amazon) but I will be buying more if they cost more, well that can't be helped. He is compulsive reading!
on 30 March 2015
The fact that the entire book was read on a single long hual flight suggests the page turning nature of the narrative. No great Le Carre like character development or prolonged plot build, this novel hits you from the first page and keeps driving the intense nature of the fiction forward page after page. The dark and sadistic story line left me with a sleepless night ( although that might be jet lag ) and foreboding regarding the nature of mental illness and obession. Dramtic, shocking and a sustained read.