on 15 July 2015
This book provides a marvellous insight into life in late 18th century London. The characters are well-written, the story unfolds nicely and the reader can almost see, hear and smell the sights, sounds and odours of the city at that time. I will look out for other books by this author.

We seem to have had a lot of books with 'Wife' in the title lately - I think that's part of the attraction, but where will it end?

Highly recommended.
3 people found this helpful
on 26 January 2017
Really enjoyed this. Not just another stereotyped somebody or other's wife/daughter story but a complex, intriguing book with strong subtle characters driving the plot. Eighteenth Century London comes vividly to life and the people seem to really live there. I shall definitely look for more work by Sophie Tobin.
on 23 February 2014
This was an enjoyable read and the writer clearly has promise. I thought some first book efforts showed through in some "artsy" sentences that while setting the scene were sometimes just too much and too studied and sometimes jumped around and left me dangling for a bit to figure out what was going on. However, I thought there was a great period feel that I appreciated. I have not stumbled across equivalent period books before and perhaps should look harder I will definitely check and see if this writer produces a second book.
4 people found this helpful
on 12 January 2015
An atmospheric tale set in 18th century London, where a body of an eminent silversmith has been found. There's everything here - watchers in the shadows, abusive relationships, hysterical wives, cruel husbands. The relationships are extremely well-drawn and believable but it's really the undercurrents of fear and plotting that makes you want to keep reading. I was disappointed that as it's her first book there are no others to read yet!
on 13 February 2015
Read this book as a book club member and wasn't for me. Too many characters and I found it a bit boring, couldn't wait to get it finished.
3 people found this helpful
on 13 February 2015
A well written and interesting story. A little confusing initially especially on the kindle version as to the timeline where the author dips backwards and forwards in time but i was gripped and read the book in three days.
One person found this helpful
on 27 February 2015
Got bored with it and gave up half way through.
2 people found this helpful
on 30 August 2016
QUITE A GOOD STORY, BUT A BIT LONG WINDED. I HAVEN'T FINISHED IT YET.
on 8 June 2015
This was such a good book, a dark description of womens place in society in times gone by, and how much (and how little) has changed
on 16 April 2014
An engrossing story, well written and kept my attention right to the end. Vividly brings the period and people to life and invites comparisons with the way we live physically, mentally and morally now.