Learn more Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Fitbit

on 28 May 2017
One of the best bio's I have read. I remember thinking when I saw vj play that there was a very good player in there .
on 28 April 2017
Great!!!
on 28 October 2014
It's been a good read, good insight into Vinnie's upbringing and life in general
on 22 November 2013
I did enjoy this autobiography. Vinnie states in the prefix of the book that he wrote this after being in therapy for a couple of year to control his "Dog", and he makes no secret of the fact he is writing this book out of discoveries he made during therapy, hence the title of the book. Vinnie looks back through his life with the wisdom of experience.

The great thing about this book is Vinnie manages to get me as a reader on his side without sounding childish or bitter. He put his hands up and owns up to his mistakes, says looking back I would have done this differently, but at the time this is what I was feeling. He talks about the friendship and relationships, but he does not dwell on them. If you are a friend or family member you are 100%, not need to say any more.

If you are not a football fan you will (like me), and live in the UK you still probably heard of Vinnie in some sort of trouble on and off the pitch. This is one of the things he wanted to clean up in this book. He played hard, fast, aggressive and successful; however no matter his on pitch performances, his reviews were always negative. After reading this book I have done back and YouTubed some of his matches and Vinnie's commentary of the matches is spot on in my opinion. He went for or defended the ball aggressively and shot for the goal every chance he got. More often than not it went in. In my opinion that is the way the game is supposed to be played. If more players played that way I would watch football more; instead of having players flying and diving for free kick every time some on touched them. Not being able to break this negativity that the press had of him is what ultimately had him trying out for films. Where he was getting good to rave reviews from the start. Also it is worth remembering Vinnie was playing football before footballers were making the super-exuberant money they are today.

Vinnie has a no nonsense style in his writing and in life. If you say something about he be prepared to be called on it, if you meet him. I respect for for it. Vinnie makes no secret as he has little acting experience he played the hard man roles he was given as he would naturally and there is nothing wrong with giving people what they want as he was told.

I really good enjoyable book. The only reason I could not give this book 5 stars is because some of the passages are a bit disjointed he starts talking about something then mentions something else and come back to the point he was making. A true strength of this book is if you do not agree or are a fan of Vinnie Jones, by the end of the book you will respect him as a person for what he has been through and achieved.
on 20 October 2016
This is similar to sitting through someones holiday photos while they tell you what a great time they had at disneyland - gets very dull, very quickly. It doesn't help that it has been put together by a moron and a sun journalist, or to put it another way two morons. That saying that if you put infinite monkeys and infinite typewriters on an island for infinite time one of them would produce the works of Shakespeare, well for this I reckon if you put two of them on an island for half an hour you would probably end up with something better than this. Avoid at all costs, I only got it (stupidly) because I read a lot of sports autobiographies and feel that you get a deeper understanding of their psyche of successful sports people - this was a moment of weakness when it was on sale for 99p. and I feel ripped off - when its someone so shallow it just does not translate into anything remotely worth anyone's time. these recollections would probably bore the various hanger's on he surrounds himself with, let alone the unsuspecting public. Woeful. My next book needs to be something along the lines of 'how to erase the worst book ever mistakenly taken to print from your brain'. I will some it up for you so you don't need to read it - he's a thug and an idiot who through circumstance has ended up meeting a bunch of famous people. That really is it. terrible, terrible terrible.
on 10 April 2017
This is the bookish equivalent of a guilty pleasure – I tried to hide the cover when I was reading it on the bus and on my lunch break at work, and felt the need to justify myself to my friends when they asked me what I was reading. But I don’t know why – it was actually a pretty good read, and whilst Vinnie did have some help whilst writing it from Gordon Smart from the Sun (hey – at least it’s not the Daily Mail), it still felt authentic, and it was still in Vinnie’s voice.

In fact, it turns out that he’s lived a far more exciting life than I knew about, including after his rise to fame as a movie star – seems like he’s more of a celebrity over in the States than he is in the UK, although he is still a household name, even if his career does seem to have dried up a little, recently. But he was also in some kick-ass movies – Snatch, in particular, was one of my favourites, and Vinnie’s deadpan delivery of “because he dodges bullets, Avi” is still guaranteed to make me laugh.

For me, reading this kind of supported my existing view of Vinnie Jones, as a person, but it was also interesting to learn about some of the other things that he’s done throughout the years and that I wasn’t aware of. He’d be a good guy to go for a pint with, but not to get in a fight with – these days, he doesn’t drink or fight.
on 30 October 2013
I enjoyed this book and can heartily recommend it to football fans but also to film buffs. It is a honest and forthright account of a person's life who, by his own admission, did not always abide by the rules but that makes the book all the more interesting and parts of it may well make you cringe, especially the admissions about the violence that he got himself involved in (and I don't mean the Mean Machine!)
As I'm far more of a football fan than a film buff I obviously enjoyed the first part of the book far more and I can imagine that it may well provide an inspiration to budding young footballers that there is another route to become a professional footballer other than the academy system.
The best way for me to judge an autobiography is, do I think better of the person after I have read it? and that is certainly the case here. I did not have a great opinion of him beforehand but I do now.
on 19 March 2014
Although this wasn't a bad read, Vinnie did a lot of name dropping! I suppose only naturally, plunged into the depths of fame after veery humble beginnings. It isn't a book I would read twice, but you can't help liking the guy.
on 27 October 2013
I could not put this book down. I have always been an admirer of Vinnie Jones and this book did not disappoint.
on 10 April 2015
The other side of the story, the truth warts and all. Emotion, love for family and friends. Loyalty, this story is a fantastic depiction of a man scrapping to survive firstly then make something of his life through hard work and dedication. No man is an island.