Format: Hardcover|Change

on 14 December 2013
This book was my book club choice and isn't the kind of thing I'd usually read. It's and easy read, and I learned soemthings I didn't know about Amanda Holden - I had no idea she actually had a muscal theatre career for example. But there you go, I'm not a big follow of celebraty culture.

The early part of this book, when Amanda recounts her childhood, is poorly written. Kind of anecdotal but stilted with nothing to emotionallly connect to, the writing is undeveloped and unsophisticated - perhaps it's intentional to reflect Amanda's own immaturity at the time.

I have to say Amanda is honest and self deprecating about her affair with Neil Morrissey and the writing improves enormously when she writes about the loss of her first baby - you do begin to connect with her and the book flows wellto the end.

There is a lot of justification abotu family arguments and Amanda does give the impression she was wholly blameless and that it was her sisters jealousy and her grandmothers stubborness that led to the breakdown..hmmm...not sure I believe you there Amanda - not entirely sure requesting your sister to bring your dogs to you becuase you were desperate to see them wasn't the straw that broke the camels back...?

So what did I learn? That Amanda seems nice enough, that she thinks her job is wonderful but that she maybe doesn't realise the rest of the world might not agree. That she isn't a natural story teller. That she reveals more about herself than I think she intended to do...
on 26 May 2016
I've read a lot of celebrities autobiographies and have to say that Amanda's was heart felt and honest. No body wants to admit their estranged relationship with their families and her account of her marriage to Les Dennis was not vindictive which I'm sure she could have released both barrels. Enjoyed the read
on 24 August 2015
Fabulous from start to finish. Honesty right the way through. I enjoyed her story so much...from the let downs, rejections, hopes and numerous successes she has had. Heartbreaking in parts but her terrific strength of character shines through. Amanda works so very hard, with several projects at times. She deserves every award and career success because she's earned it through her own determination.
on 29 May 2016
When I bought the book I didn't know what I expected, I often thought of Amanda Holden as being pretentious. How wrong I am she is a very strong woman from a similar background to me, no silver spoon! Also with the same determination in life that I was brought up with a woman with ethics to be admired. What a good read.
on 10 August 2015
Amanda Holden, all I knew about her was she was married to Les Dennis, had an affair, was on Britains got talent....

Wow what a life this women has had, this book really touches your heart and proves that you shouldn't always believe what the media claims has happened

You will laugh, and cry.

I love this she was so open and honest
I am addicted to easy to read celebrity autobiographies. When life is hard and I don't want to think, reading about other people's lives is just the ticket. This was perfect for my needs. Not stunning, not clever, not witty just a simple, easy read about a person who seems to have worked very hard for their success and has some reasonably good gossip to dish along the way.
on 5 December 2013
it really did not tell me much that I did not know. I was not enthralled. However Amanda is a very plucky lady and I am sure it will help anyone who finds themselves going through the trails and tribulations that Amanda has.
on 14 June 2015
Thought I would read it for the gossip. Fell in love with her determination and spirit to succeed, which she has done in bucket loads. It did make me laugh and cry and laugh out load too. Amazed at her strength of character for her personal life, sooooo strong. Wish her will for the future.
on 26 September 2014
I found the first part of her book quick reading but as her 'life' went on I became more engrossed. Her career has been followed by most UK citizens, but her relationships / marriages I wasn't in touch with as I have lived out of the UK for many years.
She writes candidly and I found myself 'with her' on a number of levels.
I felt happy for her that she now has a good marriage and her 2 gorgeous daughters. It was good read.
on 3 April 2014
Constant name dropping, grew very tiresome on hearing how amazing she is and who she's had lunch with. Very disapointed