on 3 April 2013
This book surpassed my expectations. I think it is going to be a 'marmite' book and split readers; Jamie McGuire may have written a mirror image of Beautiful Disaster in terms of timeframe and events, but for me it worked and and whilst there are pages that read the same, it's still it's own book and a page turner considering we all know how Travis and Abby's journey ended up.

If you haven't already done so, I would recommend that you read Beautiful Disaster first as there are gaps in this book that can only be appreciated if you have. I chose not to read BD again on the run up to this being released; in fairness I have read it 3 times, but I wanted to be objective and not have everything so fresh in my mind and I'm glad as there were many 'lightbulb' moments where everything just clicked and made sense.

I personally found this book a much more emotional journey than BD. I knew Travis was vulnerable, but the depth of his vulnerability was heart-wrenching and I welled up on several occasions. The prologue alone had me in tears! However the saddening moments are perfectly balanced with the Maddox feistiness and wit and by bringing his relationship with his Dad, brothers (particularly Trent) and Shepley to the forefront, it doesn't scrimp on moments that make you smile.

Yes there are a few instances where parts of the book and conversations between Abby and Travis read identically, I don't see how it would be possible to avoid this, but this doesn't detract from a book which concluded their journey beautifully and I have been left with a feeling of complete satisfaction; the epilogue was the icing on the cake.

Needless to say I wouldn't hesitate in recommending Walking Disaster and Jamie McGuire has truly cemented her place in the realms of my favourite authors.
Caroline for [...]
Received via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review

Despite a mountainous TBR pile of review books, I could not contain myself, or my grabby hands. As soon as I discovered that the eARC of Walking Disaster was available to request on Netgalley, I was online like a shot, clicking request and crossing every digit and limb. Needless to say I was delighted to have my request accepted.

When I first read Jamie McGuire's Walking Disaster, I found myself torn. On the one had I loved the hot romance, the bad boy alpha male, whose "relationship history" read like the phonebook, falling for the "good girl" who won't take any crap. On the other, I found elements of Travis' behaviour self destructive and at times disturbing; the drinking, the woman, the jealousy, the violence (although I would like to clarify now that at no point does he direct that violence at Abby).

The attitudes and the behaviour are not ones that I would tolerate in my own life, nor would I support this kind of relationship among my friends, but when it comes to fiction - pass me my pom-poms. But then that's kind of the point, it's fiction, a romantic fantasy -the bad boy redeemed by the one woman he loves - and in my case a guilty reading pleasure.

Walking Disaster is very much a companion novel, in that I don't think that it can be enjoyed as a novel in it's own right. The author assumes that you have read Beautiful Disaster, dropping you straight in to the story without setting the scene, or introducing the characters. In some cases events are eluded to but not described or explained.

Despite knowing exactly what was going to happen, I found Walking Disaster to be just as compelling a page-turner as its partner. I enjoyed experiencing the relationship from Travis's point of view, and many of the behaviours and events I felt uncomfortable with from the first book were less problematic for me approached from Travis's perspective.

Jamie wraps up the series with a sweet, if perhaps a little far-fetched, epilogue. It was nice to get a glimpse of the couple in the future. To see that they had grown together as a couple and had managed to maintain a relationship after the trauma induced, life changing decision they made at the end of the original book.

Verdict: An absolute treat for Travis Maddox fans, but do not attempt to read this if you haven't already enjoyed Beautiful Disaster.
on 3 April 2013
I received a copy of this book from Netgalley in return for an honest review.

I thoroughly enjoyed Beautiful Disaster, so when I found out that Jamie McGuire was writing the story from Travis's point of view, I grew excited.

Travis Maddox is a character I think mothers warn their daughters against! He likes the ladies, but not enough to commit to a relationship. However, that all ends when he meets Abby Abernathey. He finds that she's worth fighting for.

I don't know if it's because I already knew what was about to happen with this story, but I found that I couldn't connect with Travis's character as I should have. In Beautiful Disaster, I knew he was a ladies man, but didn't know why. I loved his character though! In this book, I found out why, but I think it still did not excuse his behaviour. I found out why he called Abby "Pigeon", and at this revelation I had a "light bulb" moment, because I had been curious about the nickname.
I did enjoy the extra scenes that featured Travis and Shepley, and Travis and his family. However, the Travis in Beautiful Disaster seemed more intense than in this story. Then again, that could just be my interpretation - he's still a jealous jerk in certain scenes! There is a new epilogue, which is a nice surprise, and it made me smile!

Jamie McGuire is a wonderful author, but I'm afraid this story left me a little bit disappointed. Maybe my expectations were too high? Some scenes felt a bit rushed, whilst others seemed a bit vague. Nevertheless, I did enjoy it, but not as much as I should of. I do not recommend this book for younger readers due to the use of bad language and the mention of sex. However, I recommend this story if you have read Beautiful Disaster and are curious about Travis's point of view, or you are a fan of YA Romance. - Lynn Worton
on 4 April 2013
Beautiful Disaster is one of my all time favourite books and like many people I had been counting down the days for the release of Walking Disaster. I do not usually like to read the same book from a different point of view as in the past I have always found myself feeling as though I have ended up paying twice for the same story.
OMG I most defiantly did not feel like that with this book, I thoroughly enjoyed every word on every page and ended up reading the book throughout the night as I didn't want to leave the characters that I had grew to love. Reading the story from Travis's point of view was amazing it gave me a whole new insight to the lives of the characters and somehow made the story, just a little more complete. Jamie McGuire is a genius her writing style is captivating and unique as is her story telling and I can not wait to read more from this author!
Although I must say I was sad to finish the book I was also happy as I felt at peace and contented with the knowledge that comes from the epilogue!
Highly Recommended!!
on 17 April 2013
I absolutely loved it from start to finish and didn't want it to end. Read Beautiful Disaster and fell in love with Travis and fell in love with him all over again with this book.
I loved Travis POV and how he felt about Abby from the start. Felt sorry for him at points, he kept trying to tell her how he truly felt but she wouldn't listen, was just been stubborn and mean. I laughed and cried a little for him.
You knew from the moment Abby is mentioned and spoke to Travis that she would be more than just his first love but a chanllenge to start with.

I would have liked to read the part when they were in the club when Travis and Stepley were stopping all lads going to the ones they love, Abby and America. I really wanted to read what Travis was thiking and feeling and then when Abby caught them!

Like in the first book i liked when Jim turned around to his son and said don't make a bet againist Abby as she'll win everytime, made me laugh and Travis knew then that she wanted to live with him for that month :)
There was more of a role in this book for America and Shepley, there break up and them giving Travis advise to help him in his relationship with Abby.
I think a book about America and Shepley could be good, even the Maddox brothers.

It went further into the future for Abby and Travis. Got to see there happy ending with each other and there children. A great ending.
Can't wait to read more of Jamie McGuire's books.
on 17 April 2013
This book could have gone two ways. It could have been a sequel to Beautiful Disaster or an interesting introspective into the other side of the Abby/Travis coin.
I think perhaps McGuire was trying for the second. It could have been a way for the reader to understand why Travis does and says the things he does or why Abby is the one that turns things around for him. The prologue about his mother is a good lead up to that second option and then well.....
Instead we have a nearly exact replica of the first book with small nuances of the author trying to get into and explain the brain and substance of the chest thumping testosterone filled male that is Travis.
The problem is that the story actually lacks substance. There is no real content other than Travis makes a mistake, America shouts (what is it with daft character names) and Abby forgives. Or Travis gets mad, America shouts and Abby forgives.
Wash, rinse and recycle.
This could have been so much more. However it is what it is a YA story with a male character with anger issues and misogynistic tendencies and a female character who is the epitome of the bend down and take it mentality.
After all that negativity it was interesting to note that the epilogue is an attempt at picket fences.
I received a copy of this book via netGalley.
on 18 April 2013
I loved these books Beautiful Disaster and Walking Disaster, I was blown away, what a story. I read the first book twice and then the other one and it all fitted together, I loved Travis especially after reading his side of the story and what was going on in the background.
And as for America, what a bitch, the way that she was pushing Abby to go out with Parker all the time and then laughing at Travis' reaction, encouraging Abby to down all those drinks and boasting that she drinks more, getting Abby to dress like a slut to go to the fight, she dominated her, that business with Abby's father blowing hot and cold and then when Abby told Travis she didn't want him anymore, he got drunk with his brother and took a girl back, she went hysterical, what was he supposed to do, live like a monk, I came down on his and Sheps' side. Abby and Travis were better off away from her.
The ending was fantastic, what a surprise.
on 7 April 2013
I really struggled to finish this book and feel like I've wasted my time and money. I knew it was the same story, but really expected something a little different to freshen up the story. We're either given an exact replica of a BD scene or it's quickly summarised in a couple of sentences forcing me to rack my brains to remember what happened. Travis also really annoyed me. I loved him in BD but found him quite pathetic and needy in this version. How many times do we need to read that he can't live without his 'Pidge'??! As for the epilogue.....to me this just stank as a pathetic attempt by the author to give us something new. Surely this would have been a better sequel as Travis obviously led quite an exciting life after college. As the title states this book was a big let down.
on 3 April 2013
In Walking Disaster, the life of Travis is full of fast women, underground gambling, and violence. But just when he thinks he is invincible, Abby Abernathy brings him to his knees.

Every story has two sides. In Beautiful Disaster, Abby had her say. Now it's time to see the story through Travis's eyes.

Golly gosh! I have just fallen in love with Travis Maddox all over again! Did I really expect anything else? Hell no I did not. The other potential's come and go. But, after reading this, it's pretty clear that Trav will always be my number 1 book boyfriend. I love, love, love him. I have dreamed for months about what it would be like to finally get in this man's head. And, this book exceeded all my expectations. It was SCHAMAZING!

That prologue though? I was sobbing from the prologue alone. It was so deeply moving and obviously set the tone for Trav's life and the way he lived it.

It was quite amazing seeing the story though Trav's eyes and just what he felt when he first saw Abby aka Pidge. I loved the scene in the cafeteria when he was mouthing to Shep and America 'who's that?' When he saw Abby for the second time. It made me giddy.

Obviously, there is no question that he screwed up on more than one occasion. But, lets be honest Abby did a hell of a lot too. I loved how he described the bubble that she lived in with the walls tight around her. Sometimes I felt exasperated with Abby at how blind she was too his very obvious feelings towards her. Call me blinded, but everytime they had a tiff I was always Team Trav.

At so many points throughout I found myself holding my breath. Jamie wrote it so well, that, even though I knew they would have the happy ending I was completely on edge. I started this book and pretty much didn't put it down till it was finished.

The epilogue was amazing. I loved the glimpse we got into their future. To know that they did indeed get their happy ever after. I'm so sad that this was the last book for Abbey and Trav. I could happily follow the rest of their lives and lap it all up.

I expected it to be nothing short of brilliant and that's exactly what this book was.

My favourite quotes:

"One of these days you're going to fall in love, son. Don't settle for just anyone. Choose the girl that doesn't come easy; the one you have to fight for, and then never stop fighting. Never"

"I decided a long time ago I would feed on the vultures until a dove came along. A pigeon. The kind of soul that didn't impede on anyone; just walked around worrying about its own business, trying to get through life without pulling everyone else down. With its own needs and selfish habits. Brave. A communicator. Intelligent. Beautiful. Soft-spoken. A creature that mates for life. Unattainable until she has a reason to trust you."

"I took a deep breath, and shut the bedroom door behind me. Even though we'd put each other through hell, we'd found heaven. Maybe that was more than a couple of sinners deserved, but I wasn't going to complain."

"First of all . . . I have standards. I've never been with an ugly woman.
Ever. Second of all, I wanted to sleep with you. I thought about throwing you over my couch fifty different ways, but I haven't because I don't see you that way anymore. It's not that I'm not attracted to you, I just think you're better than that."

"When the sad went away, i would always play, and i would always fight. Hard."

I know the ratings are out of 5. And, thats as far as I can go, I would give this book 6* though.

Jade :) xx
on 5 April 2013
This was a good sequel to the first book. I don't usually like the young adults stories - the characters need to be over a certain age for me but I purchased the first book by mistake and it turned out to be one of my favourite books. This sequel is really good, I always like books where you get the story from a different perspective and this one did not disappoint. The Epilogue at the end was a nice touch but I felt this was a missed opportunity for the author. I think another book would have been in order (after college) as Travis obviously went on to big things after they left and there was a lot more of Travis and Abby's story to tell. The only think that I didn't like about this book was the constant use of the nickname 'Pidgeon' and 'Pidg' it really grated on me after a while - it just seemed a little too childish to me and would someone as tough and hard as Travis be going around referring to Abby as Pidgeon contstantly? I get how Travis associated Abby with a Pidgeon (to a point!!) but the constant use of the nickname just pushed it a step too far.