Customer reviews

on 13 March 2017
great book so personal and sincere
on 7 November 2015
Arrived on time and as described....thank you. I did teen finish this book, I was bored. I've always liked Cyndi Lauper, her tv interviews are always good and funny......unlike this book, I thought this would be a more in depth and funny version of her tv interviews but I was wrong, disappointed 😒
on 29 March 2013
The girl that just wanted to have fun had it and a hell of a lot more. This brave and honest memoir tells all about her life. From her earliest memories to the day she left home and her rise to fame to today. The book starts with her leaving home and recounts the hardships (believe me they were hardships) she went through until and after she achieved fame. While it has shocks and moment where you just think, "WHAT THE HELL" there are just as many laughs. The brutal truth is always present in this memoir and it is an addictive read. You won't want to put it down until you have read it all. As well as being incredibly honest and brave it is well written and really does give the reader enjoyment. Great read about an icon of the 80's.
on 1 October 2012
I am a complete Cyndi fan, always have been since I was a kid and was so excited to read her book. However,
I did not go into this with rose tinted glasses, I was a little worried it was going to be incomplete and
gloss over parts of her life. How wrong I was! Never have I read a better autobiography (and I have read bucket loads). The
honesty, humour and sheer talent of this woman just amazes me.
I would suggest anyone who likes music and enjoys reading a well written and eye opening life story, should really give this a try. Well done Cyndi!!!
on 1 February 2014
A fabulous funny woman and her book is a classic.
She goes from teenage runaway to the most famous woman on the planet
,her over night success only taking ten years.
It details why she disappeared off the map after the 80s not because she retired
but because sony records kept trying to interfere with her,her look and her music.
When she refused they simply put out the albums with no publicity at all
ensuring they sank without a trace.so an artist at the height of her powers
is laid low by a bunch of sexiest ,coked out business men .
tragic, but she doesn't seem to bear them any ill will.
She details her tireless charity efforts for lgbt causes and the loves of her life
Despite some dark moments it is a quirky funny and life affirming roller coaster
go buy
on 4 February 2014
Really really really love this book. I am a HUGE Cyndi Lauper fan, my favorite part is page 220 when we get to find out what Sally's Pigeons is about, which is my favourite song (Hence the title of my review). I have been privileged enough to me Cyndi and get her autograph, she is a lovely person!
on 30 June 2015
Reading the book is to sit opposite her over a coffee or maybe a margarita, possibly several. It took me a while to get used to the style of the book, in which you feel like your being hosed down by a shortage of paragraph breaks and her Queen's phrases - "who would've known?" but her life story is utterly compelling, moving and funny. Her insight into the misogynistic music industry was not a complete surprise, but needed to be said from her first hand experience. Her tireless work for LGBT causes deserves a wider recognition - but she would be last to say so. A wonderful memoir and snapshot of time when innovation was crushed by industry moguls. A must read
on 19 September 2013
great story she is very funny and a great human being,she deserves every acolade she receives,enjoyed every bit of this book
on 27 June 2016
I have been a fan for a long time, but oh lor this book is boring. I started it over a month ago and cannot get into it. Sorry Cyndi!
on 8 June 2014
Im in the book so naturally i was delighted. She is an amazing artist and her tale is also an amazing one.