Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 11 July 2017
Great book very good value thanks
on 28 November 2013
Another great book in the series. Once started to read, could not put it down, and looking forward to next one.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 16 October 2013
You just know when an author is in love with her characters. The Immortals After Dark series starts with a Lykae tale, and this latest installment in the series brings us Ullieam Macrieve, a wolf of the same clan as that featured in the first book. And it was dramatic and passionate and everything I've come to love from this series. Without a doubt, this is one of my favourites so far.

Badly wronged as a young lad nearly a millennia ago, Macrieve has spent his whole life looking for the one person in all the world who can bring him peace, his fated mate. Until he finds the one woman who can complete his soul he lives for battle and the slaughter of Lore creatures of the same breed as the one responsible for the death of his family. But when her finds he's stunned by the hand that fate has dealt him.

The Order still features heavily in this book and for a page or two I thought we would be revisiting that prison in detail, but mercifully it was short-lived, as the books about the prison were among my least favourite. However there is a massive reveal in this book about what is no doubt going to be trouble ahead for all the Lore.

The story is just a tiny bit predictable in places, although for me, I read these books to enjoy the journey of the character as much as the plot, so it's not a bad thing at all. The best part is, as Macrieve has a twin, Munro, and their affectionately known throughout the Lore as Hot and Hotter, we get a sneaky peak at Munro's story in the epilogue at the end. Meaning another glorious Lykae tale will soon be following.

For fans of the series this is definitely a five star story and more!
on 23 July 2013
I have read and loved all the books from the Immortals After Dark series, this new installment has been an amazing read.
on 14 July 2013
For me, the IAD series stands apart from all other paranormal romance series as one of the most reliable, trustworthy, guaranteed good time reads there is. No matter the couple, no matter the improbability of a love match between them, Cole always manages to deliver the goodies (Mmm, except maybe that one about the French ballerina chick, that one was kinda sucky). The paranormal romance genre can get incredibly formulaic, and it would only be fair to admit that Cole's stories also follow a distinct pattern--fated mates thrown together from opposing factions fall hopelessly in love--yet after 13 books, Cole's still managing to keep things fresh, introduce new ideas and yet more new races in a world already crammed to the rafters with fun supernatural species, as well as maintaining the cleverly intertwined and overlapping background stories that make up the overarching series theme regarding the war with Order, and the Accession, which is of course the catalyst behind all the unexpected mate pairings.

For the most part, MacRieve was no different to the usual formula, although with perhaps a little less action and adventure than other instalments have had. This one was really all about the romance, and it was a romance filled with lots of lovely anger, hatred, bitterness, spite... You know, all those really sweet, romantic feelings that just make your heart sigh. Except not really. And I'm afraid I can't even tell you why it was like that to assuage your concern since the cause is a spoiler. But I will say it was one of those reads that made me wonder more than once just how on earth they would ever reconcile with each other. Naturally, I needn't have worried; Cole does these misconceptions amazingly well. And although the hurtful words and actions may pinch at the time, watching these big, braw males--especially the Scottish Lykae variety. Rawr!--fall to their knees and grovel once they realise what humongous douchecanoes they've been, is soooo very worth it.

Main character MacRieve is of course Ullieam MacRieve, whom we've met before in other books. He has a yummy identical twin called Munro, and the pair are affectionately nicknamed "Hot and Hotter" among the Lore. Much to their chagrin, I might add. MacRieve has had an awful time of it (understatement), and his long life has been affected by a tragedy that took place when he and Munro were but thirteen--nearly nine centuries ago. Then, more recently, he had the privilege of being an unwilling guest at the Order compound--Chez Torturé--that's been a feature of the last several books. There's nothing like a bit of fully concious vivisection to mess with a person's mind. Does that excuse his behaviour towards Chloe in this book? Eh, I suppose it just might. Just.

Chloe was a great character. Perhaps not the most thrilling or exciting the series has ever seen being but a mere mortal, but she was quietly awesome just the same. In fact, she brought nearly all of the lightness and levity to the book, which was a lot to ask of one character. That was largely due to the fact that MacRieve and Chloe were secluded in Scotland for much of the book, or at this new werewolf compound setting (which introduced us to some great new personalities, incidentally), resulting in a distinct lack of Witches and Valkyries apart from a very brief glimpse of Nix right at the beginning who was up to her usual matchmaking shenanigans. The absence of all those crazy and hilarious female characters this series does so well was disappointing, and even though Chloe did her best to provide that attitude and sass all on her own, bless her, I still missed them and am hoping to see them back in the next book in full force!

To sum up, MacRieve is a welcome addition to the IAD line up of hot hotties, and Cole is in fine form. And although the plot was perhaps not quite as exciting as previous books have been, there's definitely still enough going on to keep readers more than satisfied. And after that tantalising epilogue, the next book simply can't arrive soon enough!

4 Stars ★★★★
on 7 January 2014
I wanted more!! Not enough. Lovely romance though. Also, quite disappointed that we will not be getting Munro's story next. After the cliff hanger, I demand to know what happens next!. Now sulking like a child!!
I still love you KC :)
on 10 September 2014
Another excellent read from Ms Cole.

Here we have the tale of Uilleam Macrieve and his mate, Chloe. We touch again upon the action of The Order and Nix makes further appearances whetting our appetite for the ascension.

Although mentioned frequently, the ascension has really played a background role to the other plot lines . To be honest I have not really thought much about it as the stories are so good, I'm much more interested in the characters and their developing story. I am starting to get to a point now though where I'm tempted to skip sections around Nix / ascension as not much seems to happen. Of course, it's here that we learn more, so bad idea!

When writing a series one worry is coming across as formulaic (only so many ways to have boy meets girl etc). Fortunately Ms Cole delivers great value for money, with characters that are individual, interesting and alluring (and that's just the ladies!)

Macrieve has had a difficult start in life and by the time he meets his mate, nine hundred yrs later, he has some issues to resolve. It was good seeing how his issues affected his family, especially his twin Munro and indeed how Munro changes as a result of supporting his brother.

Chloe too is more complex than she first appears. Watching how Macrieve and Chloe have to work on their relationship together was emotionally very satisfying, especially since Ms Cole took the time to build the changes realistically.

Excellent read.
ps, be prepared to be blown away by the epilogue. Munro, I am waiting eagerly for your story now!
Oh my word! A cliff hanger! What a book. What a very, very HOT book. While it is true that this book follows Ms. Cole's normal recipe for her past books, it is the first one I have read that ended on a cliffhanger. Mind you, the main protagonists got their happily-ever-after, but the brother got the cliffhanger and it was a doozy!

The plot was as I said, typical of Ms Cole's writing - a brooding ultra sexy male has been tortured by his enemy, and of coursed his fated mate is his enemies daughter. And to make things even worse she may or may not be mortal (I don't want to spoil this for anyone!). He also has a tortured childhood which will make being with his mate a tad difficult on him.

Chloe is one of the coolest protagonists to come down the pike in many reads. She is a champion soccer player who has just been selected to be part of the Olympic team, when she is kidnapped by some witches and auctioned off to the Lore. Of course, her father is a major bad guy and everyone at the auction know this. And I DO mean majorly bad! But, here comes her fated mate to the rescue! And off they go into the sunset, but it sure isn't going to be all hot sex and cherry tree petals. Oh no!

Ms. Cole is adept at writing character that you would love to be friends with. Her ability at turning out the perfect descriptive passages, the perfect amount of brutality and the sexiest of sex scenes makes her one of the best authors of this genre.

This book had some of the hottest scenes I have seen in a long time, in a mainstream novel. Will or hero has just the right amount of dark brooding and inner-dialog without getting to the point that you would like to put him out of his misery. The heroine Chloe stays strong even though some horrible things will be said and done to her, and I adored her for it.

Ms. Cole wrote the perfect novel, if a little similar in tone to her first book Hunger Like No Other (Immortals After Dark, Book 1).. Excuse me while I go re-read both of these and I really wish I could find myself one of these brawny, sexy, Scottish Lykae?
on 2 July 2013
I have just finished this book and I think it's one of the best from IMAD series, I can't wait to read Munroe's story, and Chloe's dad, will he get his own book.
Absolutely loved this book and literally could not put it down after my little one had gone to bed for the night, which led to a near all nighter for me and very tired the next day but so so worth it!:) It's been a while since I have been so gripped by a book and wanting to know what had happened next that I have pulled a near all nighter and for me this just proves why Kresley Cole is one of my top authors to read. One of the many things I love about this series is that along with telling an amazing story about two primary characters, she also manages to weave the stories so that they interconnect with her other books and that you then somehow understand the previous books even more.
This book centers on Uilliam Macrive who is a Lykae along with his twin brother Munro aka Hot and Hotter (never revealed which is which) as they are referred to by the other members of the Lore and his fated soul mate Chloe Todd who just happens to be a human.....or is she??? Uilliam has had a heartbreaking childhood and was affected by a family tragedy at just 13 years old but add this to his recent torture at the hands of the Order and he is pretty messed up. Chloe is a human, well she believes that she is who is also the daughter of one of the main members of the order responsible for the torture of Will and many other Loreans. Odds already seem pretty much against them making it as a couple but add to that another reason that raises its head and the odds seem well and truly against them.
Yet another fantastic installment in the IAD series which just keeps getting better and after the sneaky peek into the next book at the end I really can't wait to read it so please hurry up and issue it fast Kresley!