Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 15 March 2017
on 20 July 2017
After an interesting beginning, the plot became more and more far-fetched and contrived as it progressed. Disappointing.
on 6 June 2013
This book was a really good read, keeping me gripped and wanting to find out what was going to happen next. Recommended.
on 31 May 2015
Was good
on 3 July 2013
A friend suggested this to me and despite being quite a fussy reader I found that I really did enjoy this book.
VINE VOICEon 21 June 2013
In "Close my Eyes," Sophie McKenzie has produced a compulsive, addictive psychological thriller. Did 'Gen's' baby die at birth or was 'Beth' spirited away with the agreement of Art her high flying successful businessman husband? It grips you from the first page and as the plot unravels with a believable list of characters, you actually care about the situation as it develops with Gen investigating what happened with the mysterious Lorcan assisting her. Nothing is quite as it seems. A real page turner!
on 10 May 2017
This book gets a five star rating from me because it had me guessing right until the end. I've loved reading since the age of 13 (now 29). I few years ago my partner bought me a kindle and this was the first book I came across.

This book by Sophie McKenzie had me gripped from the start. Close my eyes had me emphasizing with the main character geniver and the lose of her baby boy. Torturing herself for years after her baby's death and he husband comforting her. But all is not as it seems, can Geniver really trust the man she married?

Great twists all the way to the end , had me guessing all the way to the end. 110% would recommend this book.
on 12 June 2013
I have no idea how anyone could enjoy this book without a total suspension of reality. There are huge holes in the plot and several things which make you go "What? That just couldn't/wouldn't have happened!". This is ok if you are lying on a beach somewhere but otherwise spend your money elsewhere.
on 11 November 2013
I really don't enjoy giving a book that an author has worked hard on a bad review but in the case of this book I have absolutely no choice.
The blurb sounds promising but is so misleading, the story gets more and more idiotic as it goes on and the characters are entirely unbelievable. It is badly written and I don't know why I continued until the end, curiosity as to how much more ridiculous the story was going to get I guess! Don't waste your time as I did !
With thanks to Netgalley for the review copy.

A good book is one that you finish a chapter of and think, "just one more". By this definition, Close My Eyes is a good book. I was intrigued, making guesses as to what was going on and desperate to find out if I was right. And of course I wasn't.

It's a heartbreaking concept. Geniver had a stillbirth eight years ago and is still grieving. Her husband Art, an influential and successful businessman wants to try IVF. Out of the blue a woman shows up claiming that Gen's child was in fact born healthy and stolen, and that Art was involved.

As thrillers go, it's tense and full of false leads, revelations and danger. Is Gen mad? Is it real?

Occasional chapters pop up narrated by a child, which may or may not be Gen's missing baby, adding to the tension.

I can't give this a full five stars because I just really didn't like Lorcan, the ex-business associate of Art who appears and plays the role of confidante/assistant and who you are not sure of. His role and development just seemed really unrealistic to me.

I would also agree with other reviews that I don't really understand the significance of the title (and I'm happy to be enlightened!).

The ending is good, only to be guessed just before the reveal, and it's satisfying.

Enjoyable thrill ride that will have you guessing, and nice to see McKenzie's talent for adult fiction, she's great for young adults and now has an older audience as well.