Format: Paperback|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 2 August 2012
Well, well! For all of those out there gushing about Fifty Shades do yourself a favour and pick up a Rebecca Chance book. Not only has she been writing since 2009 but there are countless other female authors out there that have been producing some of the best Bonkbuster's around for years. All the hype around Fifty Shades kind of irritated me if I'm honest. As a person who reads in excess of 100 books a year, I don't understand the sudden hype around a book that is essentially a certain `type' of book that has been done countless times by many other successful authors already out there. Rebecca Chance is one such lady!

I have read two of her books written under her pseudonym (her real name is actually Lauren Henderson) and when I realised I had an early copy of her new one I was so excited it was laughable. As I jumped on the tube early one morning loftily holding my book up for all and sundry to see, I was bitterly disappointed that the carriage was full of builders and not ONE of them was remotely interested. How dare they?! Not remotely put off I delved into her latest release Killer Heels. If her cover doesn't catch your eye I would be surprised. With its almost kinky looking spiked heel on the front it was just shouting to me to pick it up and read it, so read it I did!

As usual with any Chance book we are introduced to lead characters that wouldn't look out of place on a Dynasty set. Coco Raeburn and Victoria Glossop along with Jacob Dupleix make up the main core characters. Coco is just an ordinary girl from Luton who is shot to the top of the corporate ladder as she snags a job working as Victoria's assistant at a top UK fashion magazine. The characters immediately grabbed my attention, as we see the lengths that they will go to in an industry that is rife with eating disorders, scandal and power plays. I instantly loved the `Ice Queen' Victoria and was willing Coco along too. When the big boss Jacob gets thrown into the mix things start to get very interesting. In addition to those three there are numerous other characters that are both very readable and also integral to the story.

I was shocked to realise that at the end of day one I had covered almost half the book and forced myself to slow down. I didn't want to miss a page of this incredibly racy, raunchy and very gripping book. There is drama at nearly every page as we see almost every nightmare scenario played out and the bitching and gossiping that goes hand in hand with the industry make things even more volatile. I felt like I was stuck in the middle of one of the most dramatic TV scenes at one point. Don't get me wrong, if you are looking for an intellectual and morally correct book you may want to look elsewhere. But, if you want something that is exciting, glitzy and deliciously naughty then this has it all.

I can honestly say that some of the sex scenes in this book had me blushing to the tips of my ears but made it no less enjoyable (I am certainly no prude, that's for sure!). It made me wonder why people were gushing about Fifty Shades when authors like Rebecca Chance are producing books like this one. By far the BEST book she has written and one that I demolished in record time. It had all the right ingredients and is one that her fans most definitely won't want to miss! Highly Recommended!
I am due to get married in June this year so at the moment I cannot stop reading Wedding themed books so when I was looking on Netgalley and came across Bad Brides by Rebecca Chance I had to request it as I love this author’s book and as a bonus it is about brides!

With the front cover of a new magazine needing a bride for the first issue, two beautiful brides are up for the running, but being brides are the only thing that these two ladies have in common as they couldn’t be more different and they are both hopeful to get their face on the front of that cover!

Milly is an up and coming actress who will do anything to further her career including marrying a band member Tarquin. Brianna Jade hasn’t always had a glamorous life but with her mums determination she is now about to marry an Earl.
With both Weddings looming which Brie will make it on that front cover?

Before I gush over how great this book is, I first have to point out the stunning cover, as with all of Rebecca Chance covers they are sporting a divine pair of shoes and along with the light and fresh colours used this is sure to be one to lure you from the shelves.

Now I can Gush away! How different this is to the wedding themed books I have read recently! This book is full of very strong and ambitious women who will do whatever it takes to get where they want to be. There are no fluffy lovey dovey brides in this book!

There is drama, scandal and copious amount of sex. Now this book is by no means tame so if you don’t like a bit of rough and ready detailed sex scenes then you are not going to enjoy this book. I have heard this book called “steamy” that is not personally how I would describe it I would say it damn right filthy but fabulously fun! This book definitely see’s the authors writing and her naughtiest.

The sex scenes work well with this storyline and I definitely found myself hooked. In some respect parts of the book were predictable but equally there were enough shocking surprises to make up for it.

There is a great deal of descriptive writing in this book which really set the scene perfectly so you could really visualise everything. This was a great read that I thoroughly enjoyed although I do hope it is nothing like the lead up to my big day!
on 11 April 2014
I received my copy of “Bad Brides” just in time for a long weekend break in Cyprus, as I’ve read all Rebecca’s other books and they are required poolside reading for me!

Something I particularly liked is that we get to meet some characters again from RC’s previous novels. When you get hooked into an author’s writing, I love it when they have created a “stable” of characters which they can work into future stories; as I finish a good book I often feel a bit sad that I’m leaving the characters behind after reading about them night after night they start to feel like old friends!

“Bad Brides” focuses around three main characters, like most of RC’s other books, and this keeps things interesting because you look forward to the next instalment, as the chapters alternate between each character before coming together for a sizzling climax (although there are plenty of “sizzling climaxes” along the way in the many saucy scenes one comes to expect from Rebecca Chance; “Bad Brides” does not disappoint in this department!)

Brianna Jade is a former pageant princess from Illinois, whose career was lovingly shaped by her ambitious mother Tamra, who has inherited her late second husband’s fortunes and acted as matchmaker to set Brianna Jade up with Edmund, an eligble but cash-poor British Earl and the heir to a crumbling but charming country estate. Brianna Jade is an unpretentious farm girl at heart, and despite her natural beauty and impeccable grooming she feels insecurity around the magnitude of the role she is about to marry into….

Milly is a spoilt actress, engaged to musician and heart-throb Tarquin. We root for her to get her come-uppance….

Both girls are in the running for the cover of “Style Bride” magazine, and we are kept guessing from the off, as to which of them will grasp the prize. Brianna Jade’s mother Tamra is a likeable, cunning match for Milly’s self-seeking bitchiness and underhand tactics.

We also get an insight into Tamra’s somewhat debauched lifestyle, which provides most of the naughty bits that Rebecca writes so well. There is also a homosexual scene in the book, and like the gay sex in “Bad Angels” it is written erotically even with a female readership in mind.

Then of course there are the love triangles, just enough touches of humour and the twists and turns in the plot, resulting in a page-turning read which keeps us changing our minds until the final pages about the predicted outcome…
on 14 April 2013
This is by far my favourite book by Rebecca Chance. The story goes between 'now and then' so it constantly keeps you guess what's happened throughout the book (which I love). Out of all her books, this is the one that I read the fastest and really could not put down, it was just too good. There's a lot of drama, you go from hating characters to loving them and it is probably the most naughtiest sex scene out of all of her book.

I really recommend any of the books by Chance, but this is definitely a must read and you don't need to have read any of the others to get into this book.
on 11 May 2014
Oh no, another Rebecca Chance novel. I will be forced to scurry upstairs looking embarrassed, glitzy cover of novel hidden under my jumper, shut the bedroom door and deny entry to anyone.

Rebecca Chance books are like gooey boxes of chocolates, forbidden, guilty pleasures. A bit like Jilly Cooper was when I was a teenager, and, like Cooper, Chance is building up a cross-referenced world for chocolate addicts.

Bad Brides is hooked around fierce competition for the Style Brides awards, organized by Jodie, once Coco, from Killer Heels fame. There’s no link whatsoever to the reality of most readers’ lives, but somehow in Chance’s world, it doesn’t matter as the reader gets swept away by the characters. Milly, who looks fabulous and is increasingly despicable, Brianna Jade, the reluctant beauty queen who’d really rather be mucking out the pigs, and her mother Tamra, possibly the sexiest of all Chance’s women so far. Bad Brides has slightly less sex scenes than Chance’s other books but the Shakespearian comedy type mistake when two people each assume their sexual partner is someone else is stonking and the ensuing misapprehensions and forbidden frissons are all great stuff. Abel the pig farmer and Edmund the eventually sexy husband - of whom? - make a good contrast to each other and Chance does a gay sub plot well, with the added controversial element of religion. Good, clean fun in a down and dirty way. Forget your worries, tune in and switch off.
on 30 September 2012
Step into the world of fashion journalism, bitchiness at its best.

Meet Coco, Victoria and Mereille, 3 women all striving to make it to the top.

Other than their common goal to succeed they also share a sexual past/present with Jacob Dupleix (the head of the empire they strive to succeed in)

Coco is Jacob's present, his new protégé, the one he can mould the most. He strives for her to be a size zero, wear what he asks and perform how he likes.

Victoria and Mereille know the routine, after all Mereille was his first ever protégé and when he was done with her, in walked Victoria.

They know how this works, Jacob helps a woman out and when she has reached perfection he moves on to the next, but with Coco he seems different. Could it be love?

Killer Heels is a fabulous read that has strong female characters, all with ambition and drive.
The story is split between past and present, as well as being told from all three perspectives.

All of the woman have their flaws (show me someone who doesn't).
Coco is naive and easily taken in by Jacob, easy to please she becomes weight obsessed and starts to forget her roots.
Victoria isn't a nice employer and I'm sure if we asked her husband Jeremy, we would find out she isn't a nice wife either.
Mereille is cunning and will easily befriend people to see what she can gain from them.

But even with all their flaws and the dramatic twist towards the end, I couldn't help but like them all.
Because the story is told from all their perspectives you get to see it through everyone's eyes and I think that's why I liked them all, you discovered why they were acting the way they were.

Not only is the book glamorous, bitchy and fast paced but its a sexy read as well, its not sex on every page but there's enough in it to keep 50 shades fans happy and in fact its more empowering because in some of the encounters the female is the dominant one.
I for one, will never look at kitchen cabinets in the same light.

So we've discussed the girls, now let's discuss the guys;

Jacob as you've already discovered is power hungry and very dominating.
When it comes to relationships he likes to have the control, whether that's over what they wear or what position he ties them up in, he will make sure he asserts his authority.
For most of the book I actually felt that Jacob was the most honest of characters, he laid his cards on the line to all the women he dated and he came good on a promise,
But opinions can change and believe me, mine did!

Then as a complete polar opposite we have Xavier. Good looking, thoughtful, caring.
Someone who will make sure your pleased in the bedroom without whips and chains.
Xavier, is the guy most women dream of meeting the one that can take your breath away with a look.
Xavier is the one I rooted for, the one I never wanted to get hurt. A good guy in a world where they seem few and far between.

I could gush on about this book for days but I really don't want to ruin it for you, so please put on your slippers and give your feet a rest, read Killer Heels today!
on 24 July 2014
I didn't enjoy this quite as much as Bad Sisters, I am no prude but I thought all the sex got in the way of the story!
Having said that it, remember its a work of fiction and it's a great beach or poolside read with characters you can love or hate.
on 18 July 2014
I didn't expect anything like I just read. I was on the bus and I could feel myself blushing while reading the first dirty paragraph which I didn't expect what so ever. great read but took me a bit of time to get into it. Will be trying another of Rebecca chance's books.
on 28 March 2014
Review: this is such a fun idea for a book, two brides battling it out, not only to be the cover star of a magazine, but also to find their place in a higher class of society that they are used to. I enjoyed reading this book, I found it a little slow in parts but that didn't make me want to stop reading on. I think sometime the lack of pace that I found was due to the wonderful descriptions that this author included and I wouldn't have wanted those left out for the world-she describes everything from passionate sex scenes to the fabric on a new sofa, right down to the smell of rotting fish-there really are some vivid descriptions in this novel which I loved!

The two characters are fairly interesting, I found myself really loving the American Bride-Brianna Jade but really disliking the British bride-Milly. Brianna-Jade had some wonderful storylines and had a lot of common sense for someone so you, her fiancé I could take or leave, but I was really interested in her storyline and loved the ending that she got! Milly I thought was seriously spoilt and couldn't see what was plainly right in front of her nose. She clearly reminded me of selfish friends that I have and that is why I couldn't warm to her but she was still excellently written and had some seriously funny moments. Her fiancé, on the other hand, was rather lovely and I really loved the ending he got as well.

There were some very important secondary characters in this move, who all had fabulous storylines in their own rights. I loved Milly's assistant Eva, and BJ's mother Tamra. They were wonderfully strong female characters. There were those characters who were out to sabbotage everything as well of course which added that extra bit of drama! Then there was the pig farmer-oh the pig farmer. His scenes were truly spectacular and he'd definitely be the one I'd want my magazine cover with!

Which leads me on nicely to the sex scenes. As usual, Rebecca Chance has written some seriously hot sex scenes! The attention to detail is fabulous. The heat is off the scale and everyone gets a bit of a look in when it comes to the action, something which I think it truly democratic! There are scenes between men and women, men and men and women and women and all are very realistic, laid bare in front of you, so if you are of a sensitive disposition, maybe this book isn't for you! I loved them though!

Overall this book was an enjoyable read and definitely something to take your time over. It would be the perfect read for lazing on the beach in the summer, or taking with you on a long haul flight, or even on the dirty weekend in the countryside somewhere. It has likeable characters, characters you love to hot and enough passion to get you seriously hot under the collar. The ending is just perfect and I defy anyone to disagree with me on that front!
on 12 April 2014
I chose the top rating as it was very well written and an enjoyable read I have not read this author before but will from now on try other titles by her I would recommend it to my friends as itis a good girlie read