on 29 September 2017
Good book for starting a new language. My son and I have already learned quite a bit of German from this book.
on 12 December 2012
Lightning-Fast German helps you incorporate German into your every day activities, so you learn while doing the things you already do. It makes the learning fun for kids and it is an easy to use book - not intimidating as you might think learning a language might be.

In the book there are conversational sections and my daughter's favorite was titled "Where are we going?" Good to see that her favorite question in English is now her favorite in German! The meal-time conversational portions were excellent too!! The book even has some games - such as scavenger hunts, concentration and bingo to help you retain the information in a fun setting!

Amazingly down to earth approach to learning a foreign language!
on 22 June 2014
Not a bad idea, learn the language by using it in everyday situations. Only problem is, I cannot see how that is different to any other book!

The book is set out as a series of examples which will typically be a question and then a few responses. These are all written in German and then phonetic English. The questions can be very long, so you would be saying a lot of German words all at once which makes it harder to pick up. I think phonetics is fine for a word or two but when it comes to a whole sentence of several words I think it is much better to listen to a native speaker to ensure you have the right pronunciation.

The book is very thin and it is really not worth the purchase price. I will be returning it. You will be far better off with the BBC Talk German that comes with a CD you can listen to (it is also cheaper). If, like me, you would like to learn alongside your children (mine are 3 & 4) you will find they will be quite happy to join in when you are practising saying, 'Hello, My name is, Good morning,' etc etc. There are countless opportunities for you to use German everyday in every situation. You do not need a patronising book full of confusing phonetics.
on 10 January 2013
Have you ever wanted to learn a second language? Have you wanted to teach your children a new language? Did you think it would be too difficult or impossible? Then, check this book out!

I was recently given the opportunity to review one of Carolyn Woods' language books. I chose Lightening Fast German for Kids and Families. Granted, my kids are a little young, but I couldn't believe how much I picked up on my own!

The book is very easy to read and understand. Each lesson is based on every day situations and vocabulary-- eating, getting dressed, going away. The lessons can be taught/learned individually and are not dependent on each other. Each word and conversation provides phonetic pronunciation. At the end of the book, there are several games to reiterate what you have learned. I learned several German words just in the first time I flipped through it. The vocabulary ranges from actual conversations to words, such as food names, that can be substituted into the sentences/conversations.

When you do begin using this book, make sure you don't skip over the beginning sections that describe how to use the book and provide any needed grammar notes. (Did you know German nouns have gender, similar to Spanish nouns? Me either!)

This book would be great for families with children five and above. The twins were a little young to learn a new language-- but, I am definitely going to use this book when they get older.

Overall, this twin mommy gives this book-- and the entire series-- a big thumbs up! I encourage you to check them out! You could teach your kids a new language in a matter of days!

I received this book for free from Carolyn Woods in exchange for my honest and unbiased opinion.
on 19 December 2014
Bought for my granddaughter who was beginning German. It gave her confidence when she was floundering.
on 3 March 2016
ok I think it was a present for a mate, arrived on time
on 3 October 2015