on 30 December 2004
Rachel's story of both her life living with borderline personality disorder (BPD), and her recovery from the disorder, is an extremely poignant one. This is one of the most emotionally intense and draining books I have ever read, but I am honoured to have had the opportunity to read about Rachel's life. For people both with and without BPD, this book is an incredible journey and anyone reading it may find themselves holding back the tears. For people with BPD, this book is a chance to discover that you are not alone (although please be aware that the book may be "triggering" to some people). For people without BPD, this book is a chance to discover what it is really like to live life with such a profoundly emotionally, socially and even physically debilitating disorder. I strongly recommend reading this book.
on 14 December 2004
I have found it surprisingly difficult to find books about BPD from a sufferer's perspective, and the ones written by 'experts' have not been helpful for me on the whole.
This book gives a detailed account of what it is like to live within the chaos of borderline personality disorder. It shows how the therapeutic relationship with a therapist can transform the most disturbed of souls. Well worth a read if you identify yourself as having BPD.
on 26 March 2008
I am diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder. I think it's important that people remember that each and every BP is different! Just because you have a diagnosis it doesn't mean your experiences or perception of the disorder will be the same - that said it's also true that some people are misdiagnosed - or often experience comorbidity - the presense of another illness such as depression, an anxiety disorder or an eating disorder (on top of BPD).

I found this book comforting in some ways. The author is very honest and writes in a genuine way, in a sense putting herself in a vulnerable place. I related very much to some of the events regarding hospital admission and outpatient psychotherapy. I think there are many things in the book that people aren't willing to talk about - some of the least socially accepted aspects of the disorder.

I would recommend this book to someone with BPD and anyone who has a real interest in the experience of what it's like to have the disorder, remembering it's only one person's experience - not all BP's are the same!

I gave it three stars :).
on 30 August 2005
As someone who has had the diagnosis of BPD and who has recovered from it, against a lot of 'expert' opinion, I was interested to read this book. I have many times doubted the veracity of my diagnosis but found myself identifying in many ways with the author. This is a powerful book but one which nonetheless can seem as if recovery was pretty quick and relatively easy to achieve, even though this is not the case. She may come over to some as an immature attention-seeking woman but knowing the illness as I do, she is simply displaying classical symptoms of the illness. If you have or have recovered from BPD, this is an excellent but sometimes painful book; if you are a family member you might get some understanding of BPD from the perspective of a sufferer who can look back with hindsight. It's a must read!
on 8 May 2008
reading this book i was amazed how much of her life, feelings, thoughts, actions, pain etc reflected my own! It made me realise just how much BPD effects your life and made me realise things about myself that i wouldn't have thought about or noticed without reading this book! I would say its a MUST HAVEA READ for all bpd suffers or people want to try and understand the condition! I couldn't put it down!
on 19 July 2011
As a fellow 'sufferer' of Borderline Personality disorder, I was desperate for some literature about it, not the usual medical textbooks or self help books full of jargon I did n't understand, but a story of a real persons day to day life coping with the personal hell which is BPD. So when I found this boook I was estatic, hoping to hear some words of encouragement, coping mechanisms, or even just some experiences to identify and sympathise with.

However, this is basically a story of a women completly obsessed with her therapist, who talks of nothing except her feelings and desires (at one stage to the point of explictness) for the man in charge of her mental health. When not raging against him for rejecting her advances or lusting over him during sessions, its a constent self - obsessed rant over how depressing and unfair her life is. I fully inderstand how awful living with BPD is, but I came away from reading this feeling utterly depressed and mortified at the thought that my behaviour could be anything like the authors. I wanted to idenify with someone who has experienced the same (or similar) rollercoaster emotions and daily upheavel that I have - instead I just wanted to reach into the pages and slap some sense into her.

2 stars for being brave enough to write all this down, but not something I'll read again.
44 comments| 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 11 October 2005
As someone who works with people suffering from borderline personality disorder, I found Rachel Reilands book both moving and inspiring. She details perfectly the emotional dilemmas and strains of this disabling illness yet still mangages to get across to the reader feelings of hope for the future. It should be required reading for anyone who is in contact with suffers of BPD - be that professionally or within the family. Well done Rachel.
on 18 August 2007
This book is great, I cannot recommend it enough. I bought it years ago and have read it several times over. I have been diagnosed as BPD myself, and I found it a very positive book, focusing on the fact that you actually CAN recover, despite some medical professionals telling us otherwise. I have also recommended this book to my mental health team, psych ward and my community psychiatric nurse. As this is written BY someone who has BPD, it is great if you are a sufferer. Many of the books out there are written by medical professionals, or written for friends and family, and can be depressing to read, but this one is great if you have the diagnosis of BPD. Also good to give to friends and family to read, as it gives a good insight into the mind of a BPD sufferer.
on 26 July 2005
This is the only book on BPD I have read from the sufferers point of view. I found it emotional and difficult to read, but it describes the position of the borderline well.
As someone who has been informed she might be suffering from this disorder, I found certain things Rachel did or said almost annoying, before realising that I've done something similar myself.
It's a great book for anyone to read who has or knows someone with this disorder. It describes it from a personal perspective rather than a clinical one and therefore really gets into the mind of those with this disorder.
on 7 June 2011
Rachel Reiland's Get Me Out Of Here is a very challenging read. Rachel seemingly leads us through every minute and nuanced detail of her arduous recovery from (what is still commonly referred to as) borderline personality disorder (BPD). It appears that she spares the reader very little, hence a page-count which invites committed participation in a very unsettling story.

A particular aspect of this book that does not sit comfortably with me is the way Rachel Reiland (not actually her real name) is so gushing in her praise of the health care services which assist in her recovery. She singles out her therapist, Dr Padgett, for almost unconditional acclaim. It would certainly appear that the services and practitioners are indeed deserving of credit - they have, after all, helped Rachel to overcome a seriously limiting condition and enabled her to live a much fuller life. But it also seems to me that there are ways in which the care provided is less than helpful.

Rachel's periods as an in-patient in a psychiatric unit are especially unsettling. It is, in fact, a relatively common-place situation that leads to her initial admission: she succumbs to the stress of keeping house and caring for her demanding young children - essentially, she 'loses it'. But the unit is hardly an understanding and compassionate environment.

The bulk of the book, however, focuses on the out-patient therapeutic relationship between Rachel and Dr Padgett. Padgett (the Medical Director of Psychiatry at the unit) offers Rachel very frequent psychoanalytic therapy sessions over a considerable period. Rachel exhibits alternating attitudes to Padgett; one minute she idolises him, and the next she loathes him (this is portrayed as classic BPD behaviour). But from the very start she appears to be unhealthily dependent on him, and he almost seems to encourage this dependence - not that she ever criticises him for that.

As a reader involved in the unfolding story, I found myself increasingly ambivalent about Padgett. On the one hand, he is the key figure in Rachel's recovery, the one who makes it all possible. But on the other, he comes over as the one calling the shots in an extremely unequal relationship. It seems to me that Padgett enables Rachel's recovery, not by working in partnership with her, but by demanding that she yield to his will and superior status.

Get Me Out Of Here is, of course, a positive book. The fact is, Rachel recovers, and in doing so she offers hope to other sufferers of the same condition. I can't help wondering, however, if she would have recovered just as well - if not better - if she'd had a therapist using a different and more collaborative approach. Rachel, however, is perfectly satisfied with the approach taken by Dr Padgett, and she, after all, is the one best placed to judge.