TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 30 December 2011
Crispin is twelve years old. He lives rough in the city, always hiding from those who are looking for him. When he was nine years old he ran away from his rich European step father, his treacherous mother, his home tutor, his Japanese Nanny, the opulence, wealth and danger of the mansion in which he lived and from the memories of what happened to his younger brother and sister. Crispin still has unfinished business at the mansion, business that he can only finish when the cards tell him to.

This is an absolutely superb novella length (just under 2000 Kindle locations) story that gripped me from the opening page. Brilliantly plotted with two interleaved threads, one telling the tale of Crispin's survival living rough in the city and the other of the reasons why he ran away from home, this story gets scarier, darker and more terrifying the more you read.

Overall: 5 stars! Although this is clearly a teaser for Koontz's latest full length novel 77 Shadow Street, this is a totally stand alone story that I thoroughly enjoyed. It is dark, scary, and full of hidden menace. Although years ago I read a few of Koontz's early works, I haven't read any of his recent stories. This story was so good though that I will be reading more of his work again soon!
One person found this helpful
on 18 July 2013
I have never read any Dean Koontz books before but this certainly won't be the last. I was looking for something short as a distraction and came across this novella.
An immediate empathy with the characters is created and you are drawn whole heartedly into the story.
With some novellas you are left with a feeling of a story cut short and hurriedly finished. Not so with book, when I reached the end I felt that all of the book was building up to this conclusion rather than a story looking for an end.
on 8 August 2016
A great book to read, reminded me of an old movie called "Society" with all the intricate weaving going on. Left with a hint out mire to come, can't wait to see how it will develop.
on 7 December 2012
I love Dean Koontz's work and so I am rarely disappointed; and this was no exception. Beautifully and poignantly written with an empathetic style and a deep insight into his characters, my only problem was that by the time I was hooked on the characters and developing story-line it was all over.
One person found this helpful
on 16 December 2017
Excellent
on 20 April 2018
Happy bunny
on 12 August 2013
A really well put together little story, with a likeable protagonist and some really dark villains.

It's got everything you'd expect from a Dean Koontz book and a bit more besides.

Not only that, but it's a bargain at the price. Highly recommended.
on 22 December 2013
A very enjoyable, fast paced read, well written and with central characters I cared about. Loved Harley the dog. Just think it's a pity this is a novella. Would like to have learned more about Crispin's stepfather and his family.
on 2 September 2017
brilliant
on 15 October 2017
Exciting read. Loved the imagination of this story. It was different but easy reading. Wished it was longer really and a sequal to it would be good. Never dissapointed by Dean.