on 6 June 2017
as I brought this book for my cousin.
I rang her for her comments on this book.
she gave it a4 out of 5.
she felt there were to many suspect to the murder.
she got a bit confuse ,but she sorted them out in the end.
she will be buying more of these series.
on 27 May 2017
I had high hopes, but sadly not met. I didn't think the book was well-written, I'm afraid.
on 26 April 2017
Well written and pacy
on 18 August 2017
I enjoyed the book but the main character disappointed a little. Doubt someone with so little experience would be left to solve a murder
on 27 May 2017
Finding it hard to get into, half way through and still not very exciting. Very drawn out! Disappointed as I wanted to read whole series
on 17 March 2017
The Maria Kallio series was recommended to me so I began with the 1st book. To be honest I found it hard going but persevered and am now looking forward to the next. I've taken to the character Maria very much.
I'm not keen on it being written in the first person, not everyone would find that a problem I'm sure. I would have liked some help with pronunciation as I found that a bit distracting. Hoping that I'll improve the more I read.
If you like crime fiction then why not try this?
on 3 August 2017
I know that I should have been familiar with Scandinavian names by now (having read far too many crime fiction books by Swedish, Norwegian, Danish & Icelandic writers) but no, too many names, some sound alike, it takes me time to understand who is who to finally come to understand the storyline and how it relates to each one of them......this is the only book by Lehtolainen translated in Greek, I am not that eager for her next one to be seen in the bookstores......
VINE VOICEon 5 October 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
All things Scandanavian seem to be a must for book publishers. Unfortunately, all things Scandanavian are not necessarily up to the standards of several authors we now could name. However, bearing in mind that this book was published in 1993 and a debut novel to introduce Maria Kallio, it is a worthwhile gamble to have the debut novel translated into English in the hope we'll follow her career.

Well, we might. Written for a different market, we Anglo-Saxons struggle with names that register a different mental image from those intended. In this book there are too many characters franklyt with very confusing identities. Too much choir stuff which means little to most of us, I suspect.

But, in the midst of this is Sergeant Maria Kallio. She's a gentle soul finding her way through the usual assortment of drunken officials, lazy peers and a host of friends, one or more of whom has probably provided Maria with her first murder victim.

Because of the time lapse, the book doesn't read too well. The translation is excellent if one is American. Otherwise, for we Europeans, the language grates all too often. Regrettably this adds to a sense of out-datedness with a more or less old-fashioned methodology in the hunt for the hiller?

I'm not sure. I certainly think the book does enough to deserve our attention towards book 2 in the hope that the publishers take on board the comments of reviewers. Probably they won't so I'll risk book 2 just in case. Now, if BBC4 has this in mind, there is a TV series created in Finland which has to be a shoe-in for their Saturday night 9pm slot. Now that would help the author's sales, I don't doubt. She does need a helping hand to bring to the attention of the UK buying public a rather charming detective for a change - one who hopefully doesn't descend into the lifestyle chaos some of her Scandanavian peers have already reached.
on 26 June 2017
A Finnish novel written or translated for the American market - not a bad story if you can cut through the American perspective - from a UK perspective no where near as good as a Jo Nesbo novel
on 1 July 2017
I persevered with this book as I liked the young female detective. Whoever one problem is that being set in Finland the names of characters are very unfamiliar and it is often hard to distinguish whether it is a man or woman. There were also many characters gets in the book so h.v. add to keel track of them