on 30 May 2017
I haven't been compelled to leave a review for a while, since trawling my way through a batch of samey fantasy and sf novels. But then I was recommended to read The Name of the Wind and it has gone straight into my top 5 list. I read a lot and am always hoping to recapture that feeling from when I read LOtR and this book has done it. Is there anything better than falling in love with a great book? A few pages in, I knew it was going to be amazing. The world PR has built is vivid and huge, without being overwhelmingly bogged down in detail. I love the characters, they seem so real and the plot is gripping. I read night and day to find out what happened and couldn't wait to get home from work to find out what would happen next. Absolutely amazing.
on 8 November 2016
I've just completed my 7th or 8th re-read, I've lost count now, but still managed to spot things I missed before. Truly a work of genius in so many different ways; it is not only a brilliant, epic fantasy, it also questions the nature of stories and story-telling, human nature, political and social hierarchies, and many other things.
on 26 November 2016
I wasn't expecting to, but I got completely caught up in this. Couldn't put it down for long stretches. Engaging, entertaining and really enjoyable. I hope part three will eventually turn up since I'm already craving part two...
on 15 August 2017
I read reviews with people saying how it "isn't orignal" and just another generic fantasy book. People say that because Kote/Kvothe is this "boy genius" and can learn languages in a matter of days, saying he's prefect because he's the best at everything etc..(you get the gist). In my (humble) opinion, Rothfuss gives the book a very realistic feel becuse it's Kvothe who is narrating the book and by depecting this picture of a teen with amazing talent and intellect, Rothfuss actully gives us an insight on Kvothe's character, how he's a person who both laments nd exagerrates thr
on 20 April 2017
Best book I've read in some time. If you like your fantasy uncomplicated and slightly softer around the edges, yet deep without being tedious, you'll enjoy this.
on 19 June 2017
Hands down one of the best fantasy series I've ever read. I was hooked from the first chapter!!
on 10 April 2017
A brilliant start to an epic journey, had to read book 2 immediately.
on 28 June 2017
Once you get started it becomes compulsive
on 13 July 2017
Buy this book. Buy this book so hard and then join me in the agony of waiting for the third.
on 5 April 2017
Great series! I definitely recommend it.