Format: Paperback|Change

on 9 November 2014
I discovered the book years ago and, having just found and read it again, I remain very moved by it. It clearly and honestly depicts (without unnecessary detail) the lifelong journey of a Catholic Priest to be faithful to the vows made at his Ordination and to the Teachings of the Church. The Author pulls no punches, uses no 'whitewash' as he chronicles Father Fermoyle's effort (at times struggle) to overcome the obstacles which anyone of us, Priest or Layman, faces in trying to cooperate with God's Grace. Fermoyle's responses to the challenges that life involves shows, not only his humanity but his recogntion that to live a virtuous life requires constant recourse to God's help. The Priesthood is not an automatic 'fix', guaranteeing perfection. He is compassionate to those who fall from Grace but, out of love for his flock, will never compromise/bend the Truth. This, at times, harrowing novel has a golden thread of hope running through it. Well worth reading!
on 14 March 2014
Have not finished this book as yet but interesting story about an ordinary man who becomes so important in the Catholic world. As I am not of that faith, can see the things which are the same & differ.
on 6 March 2013
I wouldn't mind receiving my copy which I ordered and I am still waiting for it to arrive.
However, this is a great read and I encourage anyone to read it. You won't be able to put it down and you'll have sleepness nights trying to finish it.
on 24 October 2014
This is my all time favourite book, which cleverly contrasts fiction with history to give a rounded view of the world through the eyes of Stephen Fermoyle, a Roman Catholic Priest, Bishop, Archbishop and Cardinal.
If definitely recommend people read it.
on 30 June 2016
I enjoyed it when first published 50+years ago and still do for many of its descriptive passages. Find its implications for and comments on the workings of the Roman church difficult to swallow.
on 17 July 2014
The most magnificent writing. I have learned so much about the Catholic church and how it works. My faith is somewhat restored . I shed many tears at the sheer beauty of the book
on 13 January 2014
I read this book years ago and was delighted it was still available. Prompt delivery and good condition, it was sent as a present to a friend in Rome, I gather it arrived safely.
on 25 April 2016
An excellent view of different times in the Church.
on 17 February 2015